Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Fine Tuning Alignment

I have a 1974 BMW with a Velorex sidecar attached. Up until now I I have just taken it on shorter rides around the twin cities 15 to 50 miles round trip. I went on a longer ride this last weekend to of 515 mile , the first day I went 200 miles.

I was very concerned if my body and shoulders would hold up to riding that far and I am happy to say it was easier than I had anticipated.

I know everything is a compromise when you cannot adjust your set up on the fly. In general it handles well but I feel that 75 % of the time I was pulling with the left arm and pushing with the right. It was not a lot because I was able to ride 200 miles. Should I try to adjust this a little and try for a little more neutral feel ? Should there be a setup that sometimes pulls left and sometimes right depending on the road camber ? Or is the in Sidecar utopia !!!

Craig In MN

You're right, everything is a compromise. "Usually", a pull to the right is a combination of road camber and bike tilt. If you almost always get a pull to the right you might try tilting the bike a little more away from the sidecar. I'm talking about a degree or so. Remember, when to change the tilt you are probably also changing the toe-in. Good luck.

Feel free to contact me locally if you want.

Definitely check toe-in. Often a pull to the right can be caused by too little toe-in. Look at sidecar tire wear. If it is feathered you may have too much [or too little] toe-in

duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

If the sidecar tire wear is even, lean the bike a bit more, leave toe alone.
On higher end sidecars there is often an option for electric trim which allows you to trim for load, road and speed conditions on the fly.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Today I took the advice from another post and marked the three spots where the tires sit. I placed shims on top of those spots and leveled them. I rolled the rig on top of the shims. then with me sitting on the bike I put a electronic level on the handle bars between the clamps and I have 1.5 degrees lean out to the left.

I rechecked toe-in and I only have 5/8" toe-in , car tire wear looks good but only have 750 miles on it since mounted

I have seen rules of thumb on toe-in to be about 1"

So toe-in or more lean ?

One inch toe would be to much for a bike with as short of a wheel base as yours. As toe is measured over the overall length of the bike, longer bikes require a larger number to get to the same amount of toe at the wheel that a shorter bike requires. 5/8 toes is about right for your bike.
More lean, keep in mind that speed will also effect this, if you do not carry a passenger loose the windshield on the sidecar it can make a huge difference at speed. I have seen it also make a difference of up to about 3mpg on fuel consumption. You might also check that the sidecar wheel spins freely, no brake or bearing drag causing issues.
Also if you mounted this using the Velorex "universal" mounts (bad idea with the very thin BMW frame tubing) as these mounts leave a lot to be desired what you are measuring statically (I..E. standing still in the garage) might not be the same as what it happening dynamically (I.E. going down the road) due to flex and movements in the mounts so while 5/8 toe is correct for your bike, dynamically if things are flexing and moving you may only have 1/4 inch toe as such you may need to add more toe statically to get the proper toe dynamically (or fix the mounts)
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30