USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Finally got a sidecar for the Shovelhead

Hello! After more than 20 years of dreaming, reading, and researching sidecars I finally acquired a Harley sidecar for my Shovelhead. I casually looked for many years for a year-appropriate 1972 with a fiberglass tub, but I am very happy with the purchase of an earlier 1960 metal-bodied car, which I think is much more classy (and few people will know the difference). Looking forward to getting it attached and unlearning 30+ years of two-wheeled riding.

Of course, there is always something to fix on a 40+ year old vehicle, so I'm taking care of a few of those things before the attachment commences. Hoping for a warmer Wisconsin winter than the last two years as I don't have the luxury of an insulated garage. Over the last several years I have spent a lot of time reading about sidecars here, but only now joined the forum. After the many years of reading, I am confident in my ability of getting the car properly set up, and equally confident in my inability to operate it once I get it on the road.

The heck with all the newer plastic cars,..... you got something much better, IMO, humble or not! That styling of that car is just iconic! Great find.

Welcome to the slightly off-center world of sidecars!

As you have already found out, there is plenty of help on this forum. When you get 'er put together, take it slow. Read lots more about how to pilot a rig. Seems you already know that a rig and a solo cycle are two different animals.

Take a S/TEP class if you can. Get lots and lots of parking lot practice before you take to the open road. Load the car with about 70-100 pounds of ballast. NOTE: People are a poor choice for ballast while learning! Another tip, DO NOT call your spouse "ballast!"

Exact combination that I started with in 1992,

If you are interested there is a company in Pennsylvania called L&W body they make all sorts of parts should you want to replace the wind screen on the sidecar.

Does the sidecar have brakes?

Yes, it does have brakes. It is quite complete, including the step that is not attached in the photo, the snubber strap and spring beneath the body, and all upholstery. I am aware of L&W, but to be honest, I much prefer the current windscreen over the original.

I am sure I will have a few questions as she comes together, and I do plan to read more on operation as she gets close to being road worthy.

Take a S/TEP class if you can.

Where are these classes available?

I once took an advanced riders course on the old '72 because I was required to do so to ride on military posts. I found it helpful, but not aimed at riders of vintage mounts. I created a lot of sparks on that course.

Nice looking rig Keith. What kind is it ? Happy motoring!

kmev - 12/12/2014 12:14 AM

Yes, it does have brakes. It is quite complete, including the step that is not attached in the photo, the snubber strap and spring beneath the body, and all upholstery. I am aware of L&W, but to be honest, I much prefer the current windscreen over the original. I am sure I will have a few questions as she comes together, and I do plan to read more on operation as she gets close to being road worthy.

Did you get all of the mounting hardware to mount the sidecar to the bike with it?

It's a 1960 Harley Davidson LE sidecar that I am mounting to a 1972 Harley Electra-glide. I did get all of the mounting hardware, although the rear mount was an unattractive home-made part that I am replacing with a Harley CLE mount. Originally, the LE's rear mount attached to the swingarm, which I don't imagine was the best for comfort or longevity of swingarm or bearings. The CLE mount, which was used on '78-up Harleys, mounts to the motorcycle frame rather than swingarm.

I also got an original Harley adjustable rake triple tree and steering dampner that I will install.

kmev,

A little tip, when it comes time to play with the points if you remove the bolts from the front mount between the springs the body will pivot up.

I used a bolt with a coupling that had a piece of round stock welded to it screwing it on the bolt I would install a small hook attached to a rope pull it up and tie it off you will have plenty of room to do any maintenance work

You will appreciate the adjustable trees....