Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Finally got a sidecar for the Shovelhead

Page 1 of 2Next

Hello! After more than 20 years of dreaming, reading, and researching sidecars I finally acquired a Harley sidecar for my Shovelhead. I casually looked for many years for a year-appropriate 1972 with a fiberglass tub, but I am very happy with the purchase of an earlier 1960 metal-bodied car, which I think is much more classy (and few people will know the difference). Looking forward to getting it attached and unlearning 30+ years of two-wheeled riding.

Of course, there is always something to fix on a 40+ year old vehicle, so I'm taking care of a few of those things before the attachment commences. Hoping for a warmer Wisconsin winter than the last two years as I don't have the luxury of an insulated garage. Over the last several years I have spent a lot of time reading about sidecars here, but only now joined the forum. After the many years of reading, I am confident in my ability of getting the car properly set up, and equally confident in my inability to operate it once I get it on the road.

The heck with all the newer plastic cars,..... you got something much better, IMO, humble or not! That styling of that car is just iconic! Great find.

Welcome to the slightly off-center world of sidecars!

As you have already found out, there is plenty of help on this forum. When you get 'er put together, take it slow. Read lots more about how to pilot a rig. Seems you already know that a rig and a solo cycle are two different animals.

Take a S/TEP class if you can. Get lots and lots of parking lot practice before you take to the open road. Load the car with about 70-100 pounds of ballast. NOTE: People are a poor choice for ballast while learning! Another tip, DO NOT call your spouse "ballast!"

Exact combination that I started with in 1992,

If you are interested there is a company in Pennsylvania called L&W body they make all sorts of parts should you want to replace the wind screen on the sidecar.

Does the sidecar have brakes?

Yes, it does have brakes. It is quite complete, including the step that is not attached in the photo, the snubber strap and spring beneath the body, and all upholstery. I am aware of L&W, but to be honest, I much prefer the current windscreen over the original.

I am sure I will have a few questions as she comes together, and I do plan to read more on operation as she gets close to being road worthy.

Take a S/TEP class if you can.

Where are these classes available?

I once took an advanced riders course on the old '72 because I was required to do so to ride on military posts. I found it helpful, but not aimed at riders of vintage mounts. I created a lot of sparks on that course.

Nice looking rig Keith. What kind is it ? Happy motoring!

kmev - 12/12/2014 12:14 AM

Yes, it does have brakes. It is quite complete, including the step that is not attached in the photo, the snubber strap and spring beneath the body, and all upholstery. I am aware of L&W, but to be honest, I much prefer the current windscreen over the original. I am sure I will have a few questions as she comes together, and I do plan to read more on operation as she gets close to being road worthy.

Did you get all of the mounting hardware to mount the sidecar to the bike with it?

It's a 1960 Harley Davidson LE sidecar that I am mounting to a 1972 Harley Electra-glide. I did get all of the mounting hardware, although the rear mount was an unattractive home-made part that I am replacing with a Harley CLE mount. Originally, the LE's rear mount attached to the swingarm, which I don't imagine was the best for comfort or longevity of swingarm or bearings. The CLE mount, which was used on '78-up Harleys, mounts to the motorcycle frame rather than swingarm.

I also got an original Harley adjustable rake triple tree and steering dampner that I will install.

kmev,

A little tip, when it comes time to play with the points if you remove the bolts from the front mount between the springs the body will pivot up.

I used a bolt with a coupling that had a piece of round stock welded to it screwing it on the bolt I would install a small hook attached to a rope pull it up and tie it off you will have plenty of room to do any maintenance work

You will appreciate the adjustable trees....

Ha! She hasn't had points or advance weights for a few years, now. That is a good tip to keep in mind though!

Any thoughts on the best gearing? My transmission has an Andrews close-ratio first gear, and the mainshaft tranny sprocket is one tooth larger than stock. The motor is stock displacement and compression with an S&S Super E carb. My riding will include both city and highway. I figured I would put a few miles on it before changing any gearing, but I'm hoping I could get away with the current gear ratios.

Great find.

Here ia a list of S/TEP training sites...

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org/sidecar-training/step-national-schedule-training-locations/

kmev - 12/14/2014 9:02 PM Ha! She hasn't had points or advance weights for a few years, now. That is a good tip to keep in mind though! Any thoughts on the best gearing? My transmission has an Andrews close-ratio first gear, and the mainshaft tranny sprocket is one tooth larger than stock. The motor is stock displacement and compression with an S&S Super E carb. My riding will include both city and highway. I figured I would put a few miles on it before changing any gearing, but I'm hoping I could get away with the current gear ratios.

Well LOL never know may come in handy for other things...........The easiest and cheapest solution for me was to install a 54 tooth rear sprocket ran them for 20+ years like anything you will be down shifting just DONT let the motor lug!!!

Good luck kmev! keep us posted

The nearest S/TEP course is in Urbana-Champaign - a bit far to be convenient, but I will keep checking the dates and keep it in mind.

My bike has a rear drum brake with a riveted sprocket that comes in one size only, so the cheapest and easiest for me would be to change the motor sprocket. I do need a new primary chain, so I will do a bit of riding with the rig to see how the current gearing works and then make a decision before I tear into the primary case.

Thanks for the help, folks! I am looking forward to this. Today, I got the adjustable triple trees cleaned, repaired, and ready to install. This will definitely keep me busy over the winter.

LOL.........I should of said that I replaced the rear swing arm so I could ad a rear disc set up, kinda like how you replaced the points.......

Got the engine back together and the adjustable triple trees / steering damper installed. Instead of using the clamp-on '79-up rear mount and having to alter the motorcycle frame, I am going to use the CLE mount to "restore" the original LE rear mount that was hack-sawed off the sidecar frame. This will give the added benefit of a toe-in adjustment that the LE sidecars did not have. I just need to figure out what length to make the rear mount. I'm planning for a toe-in range of zero and up.

Once I figure out the appropriate length, I need to cut the base of the CLE mount off and weld it to remains of the original mount. Fortunately, they are the same diameter and wall thickness.

So the sidecar frame in the earlier picture is for an old LE or is that for a new generation CLE? I have what is in your pic. My entire sidecar is a L&W reproduction now attached to my '65 Pan. It came already attached but the brake line was disconnected. Before it was all over I ended up shortening the line by 8", also replacing the sidecar's brake back plate and bike's master cylinder. Somebody had gorilla(ed) the brake adjuster in the past. After some fiddling, they all work fine. There are a lot of bike similarities with your shovel, more so than with the Duo pans. I just changed my bike's battery while sitting in my sidecar. I think this tub is correct for up to '36 -'67 or so says L&M. My pan came from the factory with a steering dampener which is fully engaged. Man, this is A LOT different than riding solo. At first, I forgot it was out there and ran it over a curb! YIKES! I can't image making a fast 90 degree turn (yet). I have electric and kick start but the kicker clutters the area between the hack and bike. Mine is set up for 2-up with a buddy seat which also adds a rider peg in the space. My setup is definitely a "bagger." The right front highway peg is also troublesome with the sidecar's front support member in the way. I end up with my foot riding the (bigger than Duo) pedal we have. I've seen a few guys put it on the frame support rather than the crash bar using some bracketry. I can't seem to find a place yet that allows comfortable and symmetrical use of both pegs. If I ever go over I've decided that my right foot will probably stay with the bike for all the junk in the space. The bike didn't have rear crash bars which I reinstalled. Are you leaving yours off? Maybe not a bad idea. The rear bar also confines the area even more. Your windshield is fine, I think. I put the old style on and it rides on the arm rests a bit at the ends. I spread the ends to fit a little lower on the armrest sides but then it will still eventually wear there. I think it is on correctly, but who knows? I also have to unsnap the apron to raise and lower it for a passenger. it's not much extra but when everyone else fired up and leaving, I'm just getting back on my bike. I'm in AZ so our seasons are reversed. Supposed to be 77F tomorrow.... neener, neener. Thanks for a look at your great bike! - AZP

Finally got her together and on the road. It will take some getting used to accommodating the sheer size of the thing - I hit a curb in a right-hander on the first voyage. Did stop on the way home to pick up some diving gear. Couldn't do that before.

photo DSC08276.jpg

Great work! Enjoy the new lifestyle!

Page 1 of 2Next