Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

EZ Steer for 2009 Yamaha Royal Star

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Big Tom, one thing I found with those Yamaha V-4 engines.....if you balance the 4 carbs...the engine will run quite smoothly. I bought a vacuum gauge to work on 4 cylinder engines, and did the carb balancing myself. Was relatively easy to do, and once done the first time, there is no hesitation to do it again, like maybe once a year.  I have probably the same number of years on Honda 6 cyl engines as you do, having owned 10 Goldwings, of which Mother Honda GAVE me 2 of my Goldwing 1800's in exchange for bikes I had ridden to over 100K miles in less than a year, so they were constantly taking in my used Wings and giving me new ones, so they could tear the engines and gearboxes apart, to see how they had worn with 100K on them in less than a year. But my point to all this is, that Yamaha V-4 in the Venture can run almost as smooth as the Honda opposed 6, if those 4 carbs are balanced.

A 4 cyl carb vacuum gauge doesn't cost much, and I prefer to get the one with the plastic balls that float in the vacuum tube, rather than the mercury in the tubes, or oil in the tubes, so you can be mesmerized watching the 4 floating balls. Get those carbs balanced, and that engine is quite nice.

And, you need to change your signature line....as you NOW have a sidecar rig !

Big Tom and smitty901 have reacted to this post.
Big Tomsmitty901
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents

Proof of ownership.....

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
SwampFox, smitty901 and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxsmitty901FlyingMonkeys
2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

I hope that trailer hitch is not structural. We don't pull a trailer.

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Pulled the seat off to remove some unused wires and look at this terminal. I'm surprised the bike ran.

Low quality clamp rusting away. I'll be making a list of things to replace.

Uploaded files:
smitty901 has reacted to this post.
smitty901

Oh here is the obligatory picture of the smiling owner. I hope she lets me ride it.....

Uploaded files:
AceinSav, smitty901 and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
AceinSavsmitty901FlyingMonkeys

Bike is 14 years old. Never saw anything in the post about when sidecar was attached.  Expect to find a few issues here and there.

As you get use to it check it over good . Wheel bearings, Date stamp on tires.  Seals on front forks.

Tires that are older than 5-6 years not only can cause safety concerns. Should they fail they can do a lot of damage when they do.

Looking at a tire tells you little some times check the date code.

Bikes with a few years on them can still serve you well. I still ride one that is 27 years old. But you do need to check them over.

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

That bike has a long wheel base to start with. Some bikes come from the factory with a little ore rake than others. It may not need it.

PreviousPage 2 of 2