Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Electric motorcycle

Okay, Does anyone here have or know someone who has an electric motorcycle with sidecar?

It seem a natural way to go, since extra batteries can be in the sidecar for ballast. I should think it would not be unrealistic to have a 70 mph machine that could go 150 miles on a charge.

Why?

The machine shown is capable of 70 or more MPH and 100 miles per charge. There are others faster and longer of range.
Other than long distance touring, it would suffice very well for most riding needs.
It would be quiet, smooth, not have carburation or injection problems. Not need periodic adjustment of valves, or oil changes.
Its' operation costs would be cheaper, no pollution from exhaust. Electric vehicles are the future. Why not start early?

I'm afraid I'd have to put playing cards in my spokes like I did on my bicycle when I was a kid. Electric might well be the future, but boy am I going to miss the exhaust sound!

Phelonius - 6/22/2015 1:34 PM

The machine shown is capable of 70 or more MPH and 100 miles per charge. - Yes it what they saying... Remember when prius first claim 60m/g. Now they downgrade it to 48. In 1992 i had honda civic hatchback - real 50m/g.
There are others faster and longer of range. - Yes it what they saying... Is it true?
Other than long distance touring, it would suffice very well for most riding needs.
It would be quiet, smooth, not have carburation or injection problems. Not need periodic adjustment of valves, or oil changes.
Its' operation costs would be cheaper, - Only when someone paying for it
no pollution from exhaust. - But pollution from power plants.
Electric vehicles are the future. - It is a past. It not a future unless someone develop battery.
Why not start early?[/QUOTE)

I would imagine you could at least double the battery capacity with a sidecar. I'm sure the sidecar would add to the drag of the unit, but I suspect it would be less than double, so there should be a net gain in range.

As for exhaust sound, just crank up the Sammy Hagar!

Electric has a past, but it also has a role in the future. Here we see a Detroit Electric from 1917 AND the Detroit Electric SP:01

Attached files

As for exhaust sound, I would like to have a recorded chip with a loud voice that says over and over, " potato potato potato potato" for when I pull alongside Harleys at a stop light.

OldSchool_IsCool - 6/22/2015 2:02 PM

Electric has a past, but it also has a role in the future. Here we see a Detroit Electric from 1917 AND the Detroit Electric SP:01

I want to see how many of this will be sold if government did not pay 50 to 75% of cost.

The cost of eventual battery replacement is terribly expensive.
As most manufacturers quotes on distance are probably comparable to the "EPA MPG rates" which are at best questionable since the EPA lets the MFG'Rs say what they want without testing to see if the numbers are fictional and passes the numbers on to the consumers as gospel.
I would imagine as most rechargeable batteries the efficiency and power would drop off some in time.

Lonnie

I guess it will be good for the island. From Denver i have directions: take i-70 east 500 miles then turn south. Sure electric junk will be useless. So as my neighbors electric lawn mower. They bought 2nd in 5 years. I use my gas mower for 17 years now.

A lot of the modern electric vehicles is the fast charge control system - you can't throw more battery at it without having a rework of the charge controller. Without going into long detail, charging algorithms are all working around C, available capacity, and available charging current. The charge curve is all a function of C.

Think of it like adding HP pipes, you have to rejet the carby, delete/bypass the AIS, etc. etc. etc., all do-able, but more to things than what meets the eye.

My neighbor has a Prius. Although I admire the engineering involved, I'd doubt I'd ever own one, I prefer my life to be a bit more raw.

Some time ago there was an electronic bummer who was unable to run in well and maintain his new Ural rig. He filled up the side-car up to the top with batteries and mounted an electric motor using the old transmission and 2 wd. I was searching yesterday in Sovietsteeds for the video without luck.You would be pretty disappointed about the tremendous noise that thing makes in FLAT area.
Personally I would love too a electric motorcycle with break generator. Specially in the mountains that would become a real recycle efficiency...

In these days I enjoy something that comes close to the efficiency. The W800 is VERY quiet, probably the quietest bike I ever had and tested.(no way to compare her with my Norton Commando) In every rev range she pulls out with similar torque starting at 1500 revs with fabulous torque. The vibrations only remind you there is an engine and when you relies the throttle there is good engine breaking that eases on brakes and nerves in our serpents. Gas consume is lowfor a 770ccm 4,2 to 5,5 liter per 100km = 56 to 42 miles per galon.
So Jim, in certain manner I have got already what you talk about and the day the Ural might give up in deed the idea of a DECENT electric drive is still in the range of reach.
For my Velorex sidecar waits the Jawa/Husquarna or the W800... The long stroke engine is my personally preferred choice.

From the Californian Zero I have heard mostly bad things about durability and service. They shall be nice to ride, but shall have some trouble in the electronics.
Siemens had lots of electric buses, trucks and trams running already in 1900 to 1914, so lot of delays in electric bikes is pure delay politics from the big industry.
Sven

michaelh - 6/23/2015 8:41 AM A lot of the modern electric vehicles is the fast charge control system - you can't throw more battery at it without having a rework of the charge controller. Without going into long detail, charging algorithms are all working around C, available capacity, and available charging current. The charge curve is all a function of C. Think of it like adding HP pipes, you have to rejet the carby, delete/bypass the AIS, etc. etc. etc., all do-able, but more to things than what meets the eye. My neighbor has a Prius. Although I admire the engineering involved, I'd doubt I'd ever own one, I prefer my life to be a bit more raw.

I have been in contact with the builder about that. He says the way to do it is the parallel the two battery banks for about 120 mile range and have the charger set for the total capacity.

I doubt that noise will be a factor since there is no final drive or transmission of any kind. It uses a Hub motor in the wheel. I have been watching videos of it climbing hills and such, it seems to be a torquey motor. The one I get will be specially wound for higher torque because of the sidecar. There is one here on the island and I am going to try for a visit to see it in the flesh.

Best thing to do, look, try touch and then see if it would work or could be adapted for your personal needs.
Fore sure a rig should be faster then a wheel chair and you could be able to use industrial supply for your adaptations.
A brand that has nicely made gearmotors and VFCs is Italian Bonfiglioli. from the shelf into the machine and only need to adjust the parameters for the final use. For my personal project I would go with simple threefase motors.
Good luck, Jim.
Sven

It comes with all that engineered into it already with wheel hub motor. Btw, it already has reverse.

a little louder hub motor:

Jim, needed to kid you a bit as I just saw an abandoned V35 Motoguzzi,
Good luck.

An abandoned V 35? Where? that is a collectors item.

The V35 came up in the garage of an Italian neighbour. I repaired for him today a soda machine that one of my clients said would be impossible to rebuild...20 minutes looking was all it needed.,
My neighbour's son didn't use the Guzzi V35 for at least 2 years. I guess the V35 deserves more fresh air then the soda machine... About 1982, apparently low mileage, with the big ugly fairing, but she looks very much original and those parts that were changed must be somewhere stored for to reassemble her to factory state.
Myself I do not think about to take her, but it will be fun to get my neighbour's son on the road again. My neighbour came up with putting my Velorex on the V35...no way, that would be a violation. On a T850 without hesitating.

Jim, tell us more when you got the test ride with the electric trick bike.
Good night.
Sven