Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

East Texas Spring Sidecar Muster 2011

OK y'all: I used our newly enhanced forum features to try this ride/rally report. The formatting is not quite right, but the words & pics are all there.

========================================================

We had a great spring sidecar gathering with Texas Ural Riders Division of the Soviet Steeds a/k/a the Spring Turd on May 13-15, 2011 at the Rusk KOA. We had about 18 rigs from TX, LA, AR, MO and NM.

Some of us started with Friday lunch at what is now one of my favorite eateries in East Texas, the 7th Street Restaurant in Cushing:

But the best name for a cafe' is down and across the street at the Burgers 'n' Bull; apparently the bull was better than burgers as it's been closed for some time now:

But lunch was not enough, so we all went downtown for hand-dipped ice cream at The Daily Grind in downtown Rusk:

Downtown Rusk is like stepping back in time:

We also toured and walked the longest foot-bridge in Texas, over 500 feet long, originally built in the 1800's for folks living on the East side of the creek bottom to walk to downtown Rusk for commerce:

We displayed the USCA banner at our cabin (that'd be a lodge in KOA terminology):

We awoke Saturday morning to temps in the upper 50*F, unseasonably cool temps for East Texas. After a cool ride (Barbara from LA said is was a cold ride) down a couple of great Farm-to-Market backroads, we had 18+/- rigs line the main street of Alto, Texas for breakfast at the Yellowjacket Cafe'; Jena had told 'em we'd be coming down with maybe a dozen, but the final count was more like 30 folks:

And we had a good cross-section of shapes, colors and sizes of rigs:

After breakfast we continued our group ride to the Toyland Military Museum. Tom & Jan were great hosts -- they were expecting us, just not quite as many of us. Here is a sample of the vehicles:

And a few of us took a ride in the duece and a half; vehicle tech & comfort have come a long way:

Becoming so engrossed in conversation and tech sessions, we forgot to take any more pics.

Thanks to the Ural folks for letting us join them; the variety of rigs and personalities made for a lot of fun. The TURD's already plan to join us at Elmer's for the Razorback Rally in October 2011; I trust Elmer will not call his event the Fall TURD.

Not sure why but I'm not seeing pictures. All I see are boxes with a red x.

Joyce - 5/28/2011 3:09 PM

Not sure why but I'm not seeing pictures. All I see are boxes with a red x.

How about other folks? I'm seeing the pics OK here if I am "logged in."

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Red X's only.

Hack'n - 5/28/2011 10:03 PM

Red X's only.

OK. I think I know what's wrong. The source location for the pics is password protected and I'm already logged into. I will re-attempt to post the pics in the next day or two. Sorry, I'm not very savvy at this stuff.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

OK, I have tried to post the pics again, this time copied from our own albums. Please let me know if you can see 'em now. Thanks, Lee

Great job Lee, the pictures and text are great.
Thanks 🙂

Lloyd, the pictures would have been better if your Goldwing sidecar rig had been there along with y'all.

Ya Lee, it would have been great, got more bad news, not only are my carbs California emissions carbs, but they are a late model year change, early year carbs won't work, and the one I need is back ordered until late August. I have tryed to rebuild the broken post with an epoxy paste, after it cures good I am going to soak it in a coffee can with gasoline and see if it desolves. I have been able to get the forks rebuilt, new seals, guides, and bushings, and got a Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire mounted on the front. (dealer told me they would refuse to mount a CT on the rear) Still looking for a tire for the sidecar. The one on it now is a Dunlop SP4N, size 145 SR 13, haven't been able to find the size on tire rack, or discount tire . com. I have been able to get some of the minor parts I need, and have got some of the wiring done. Hope to have it on the road soon.

Lloyd - 6/1/2011 1:31 AM

... carbs.... back ordered until late August.... tryed to rebuild..... Still looking for a ... 145 SR 13....

Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the carb; sure hope you get it sorted out soon.

As for the tire, take a look at the 145TR13 Vredestein Sprint at:
https://www.universaltire.com/vredestein/145tr13-vredestein-sprint-blackwall.html

Thanks Lee