Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

East Texas Sidecar Muster - May 2-4, 2014

By popular demand, the East Texas Sidecar Muster is back for 2014 - scheduled for May 2-4 at Holly Park Marina on the Texas side of Toledo Bend.

And back by even greater demand are Friday Evening Tamales by Art & Rosa -- Johnny has volunteered to bring a propane bottle and burner.

Please make your lodging/RV/camping reservations directly with Holly Park Marina:
http://www.hollyparkmarina.com Day Phone: 409-625-4424 Email : info@hollyparkmarina.com

We will plan a Saturday group ride for lunch at the Pinto Pony in San Augustine.

The Sale on the Trail Flea Market along Hwy 21 will be the same weekend, so we can stop in Milam -- I need some more blue cornmeal.

There is no official registration, but please let me know by posting here if you are coming so we can get a head count for Tamales and Lunch.

Please check back here for occasional updates.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

If you can't make it on Friday May 2nd, you can plan to meet us for lunch about 11:30am Saturday May 3rd at the Pinto Pony Cafe' in downtown San Augustine.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

We are planning to attend Lee, looking forward to it again, really enjoyed it last year.
Lloyd and Judy Berryman

Rosa and Art will be at Apt 11 --- We will have tamales and beans so come ready to eat on Friday evening - Bring your own drinks and some lamps for outdoor lighting. Looking forward to seeing you guys again

Excellent! Sure glad you're back up to traveling.

The preliminary head count is up to about 32.

And Hardy requests an additional 5 dozen tamales to purchase.

Avanell & I have our r.servations already. Plan on eating a bunch of tamalies and buying some to take home. Hope to have mu BMUral on the road by then. Turned out bto be a 1000cc instead of a 900. Got new rings and gaskets on the way. See you there regardes. J.R. Tex rep

Lee,

Butch and I are planning on attending! We are excited and can't wait!!

Thanks,
Penney Bagley

You're in Penney! Y'all plus Doc & Jon raise the preliminary headcount to ~36.

Attention early arrivers and folks traveling in from the North: Oldtimer, Tahobiker and I plan to meet for brunch at the cafe' at Huxley Bay Marina about 9:30ish on Friday May 2nd, which is located about 35 Farm-to-Market Road miles North of Holly Park at 13200 FM 2694, Shelbyville, TX - but note, the cafe' is not near Shelbyville at all, but rather at at the East end of the Huxley community on ... Huxley Bay 😉 ... at the dead-end of FM 2694.

Please join us if you are in the area.

Had a great time at the ETM - we came home with an extra family member, the little black dog running around the campground - seems to be fitting in just fine with our lab.... forgot - puppy's name is Toledo

Super good time. I came home full of tamales. Congratulations on new family member. Avanell talked to Judy today. LLoyd feeling better. J.R.

I am feeling a lot better, not 100% but a lot better than I was. Even not feeling well, we still had a good time. Thank you everyone that helped and offered help, really appreciate it.
Lloyd

Lloyd - 5/5/2014 8:47 PM

I am feeling a lot better, not 100% but a lot better than I was. Even not feeling well, we still had a good time. Thank you everyone that helped and offered help, really appreciate it.
Lloyd

Sure glad you're feeling better and made it home safely. You're a determined fellow - I would have preferred you take an extra day to regain some strength.

Txart - 5/5/2014 5:04 PM

Had a great time at the ETM - we came home with an extra family member, the little black dog running around the campground - seems to be fitting in just fine with our lab.... forgot - puppy's name is Toledo

I suspect Paula had a big influence on bringing Toledo home - he followed her around the campground all weekend.  Toledo seems to be of good temperment, not fussing with people, dogs or vehicles.  By Sunday morning he & Paula were big friends:

Yep, we had a good time for sure. Weather was ideal, the group rides went smooth, the food was great and the fellowship even better. Lots of stories were exchanged and laughter was heard throughout the campground. Enough talk, let's show some pics.

About a dozen of us met up at the recently re-opened restaurant at Huxley Bay Marina on Friday morning. Jena & I were the first to arrive - checking to see if the restaurant truly was open for business:

The group from the campground arrived shortly thereafter, led by Avenell on her scooter rig - she assured me she rode slow enough for the gang to stay with her Laughing:

Followed by J.R.  on the Texas Shark:

And Judy on her gorgeous Ural Retro:

And George on his Ural - Happy, Benji & Buddy are all hunkered down in the sidecar for the ride, follow closely by Lloyd & Judy on their well-traveled Goldwing/Hannigan rig:

Then arrived James on the Cajun Queen (that's Oldtimer sneaking in behind 'em in the motorhome):

Trailed by George & Aurora on their widely recognized Triumph Union Jack'ed rig:

We all enjoyed a good brunch:

After lunch James, Aurora, George & I took the short-cut back to camp along the gravel roads thru the Sabine National Forest:

After settling in at Holly Park, several of us ventured out to explore Nine Mile Road on the peninsula across the bridge. It was a great ride until we encountered a locked gate just a mile into the ride. Our exploring stopped short here:

On a bluff overlooking Toledo Bend Reservoir:

So we ventured to the southern tip of the peninsula to swap a few tales over this expansive view of mid-lake and the Pendleton Bridge, including a resting flock of white pelicans 100+/- miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico:

Upon return to camp we found Art & Rosa, joined by daughter Paula, preparing the tamales for the evening feast. Here's Art supervising Paula preparing the steamer - watched by prospective sidecarist Mike of Louisiana, who's never far from the food:

Of course, Tahobiker was first in line to select from the mild or spicy :pot: beans and mild or spicy :hot: tamales - your choice of chicken, bean or pork -there're all good, it's just a matter of personal preference :hungry: :

There was quite a crowd by the time supper was served:

A great big THANK YOU to Rosa, Art & Paula for the tamales & beans - plus Saturday's corn-on-the-cob and guacamole :bow: :clap: :boogie: :cheers::

Many of us started off Saturday morning down at the local church hosting a fundraiser breakfast - now these ladies & gentleman know how to start the day - eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, blueberry pancakes ......:

I didn't take any photos of our group ride to the Sale on the Trail in Milam where I made a beeline to replenish our supply of blue cornmeal for blue cornbread - unfortunately, the Galloway engine was down for repairs:

After looking thru the vendors, buying raffle tickets for a Henry Golden Boy .22LR and buying various trinkets, we rode over the downtown San Augustine for lunch at the Pinto Pony:

Where we found more good grub - Oldtimer's club sandwich, for example:

After lunch several of us ran errands to the auto parts and/or grocery stores, while Corkie settled in the shade along with Happy, Benji & Buddy in Tahobiker's rig parked on right on the sidewalk to find shade for the pups:

Before we left Sunday morning, James tried out his canoe while watching some very active bass work the shoreline vegetation - a mature bald eagle flew over just after I snapped this pic:

And Paula worked on bonding with Toledo while she walked the campground Cool:

Enjoyed seeing everybody and meeting new faces. The link below is from Saturday morning when we were setting off for the day. Please excuse my videography skills 🙂

Notice Toledo watching in the background ??

Lee. Thanks for pictures.

From the Pinto Pony Cookie Factory & Restaurant via email today:

We wanted to thank you and your members for having lunch with us Saturday.  It was  nice to see everyone having a good time.  Everyone I asked said they enjoyed their food.  We would love to have you back again next year.  We appreciate your continued support.  If we can help you any other time of the year just let us know.

Thanks again,

Candy