Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Duro 308 tires - tubeless?

Subject line is the question. I've fitted a sidecar to my Triumph Tiger 955i with cast wheels, 17 and 19".
Seems a good idea to fit a more appropriate front tire, and I am thinking something like a Duro 308 but it is listed as a tube-type tire.
The Tiger's wheels are intended for tubeless tires. Does anyone here use Duros as tubeless, or is this a Very Bad Idea?
If the latter, does anyone have an alternative suggestion for a 19" tubeless front for my tug?

If it's the right size tire, use a tube with it.
Tubeless tires have a rim seal designed to prohibit air passage. Tube type tires don't have this feature.

Mfgs state that speed rating drops one letter adding a tube to a tubeless tyre.

At least in my case, I have no intention of ever operating at sustained speeds of 124 mph, let alone 130, so I have no anxiety.

On Urals with 19" tires I am not getting much tire life out of Duro 308 tires, and am going to try a set of Heidenau K28 tires. (hope the spelling is right) They cost more, but have a flat tread pattern, and the load rating is good, some that have tried them say they last longer, some question if they last enough longer to justify added cost. The only complaint I have heard is that the sidewall is very stiff and that they make it harder to mount on the wheel.

In Hermans' case it was adding a tube type tire to a "tubeless" wheel.
I don't think there would be any change in the tire Mfg'rs. speed specs for the Duro 308.

Thanks for the input. I'd rather not put a tube in my tire, due to the flat repair routines. On the other hand, most flats happen to the rear tire.
The Hiedenau looks good, but I gather that it's also a tube type tire and yeah - twice as expensive as the Duro. Wonder if it lasts long enough to balance out? The tread profile looks great in the photos.
And then there's the Duro 307, which might be a good way for me to go.
Currently I have a Mitos rear (and front) mounted. The rear wheel is a wide 17" so I guess maybe I'll stick with one of the d/s tires for big adventure bikes, though if anyone has some specific recommendations I'm listening.

I installed a K28 on the rear of my Ural at 3500km (stock one was gone) I have now 7000kms and I do not give the K28 another 1000kms before change!! But I felt the K28 better everywhere: road/dirt; but maybe not worth the extra $.
I am currently installing a Monza on a -99 Thunderbird Sport and I am using tube type tires (spoke wheels)(Pirelli Scorpion: they are very "squarrish" even if I'll stay on the road only): I am trying to remember how many times I had punctures in my 40 years plus of riding... 10 times max??
Who installed your car on the Triumph? Any pics of the mountings? Thanks.

I have only had a few flat tires on the road over the years. But with tube type tires, that always resulted in a multi-hour, sweat & curse adventure, while with tubeless, 15 minutes later and without removing the tire I was back on the road.
Since I already have tubeless wheels, I don't see the sense of going back to tubes on this bike.

I installed the sidecar to the Triumph myself. Can I post photos here? I haven't read up on that, or on how to do it on this forum.

Check box at lower left (Attach file after posting) and attach pix.
For best results: resize your pix to200kb of under.

thanks, will do.

although a bit $$ the new heidenau scout K-60 is getting rave reviews for a 50-50 tyre, but said a little weak in the wet. prolly from harder compounds that contribute to its long wear

Here's the sidecar attached to the Tiger.

Attached files