Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Driving in the Rain and Cold

Page 1 of 2Next

I got to work this morning with a big smile on my face, and felt compelled to post.

Although I have driven the hack in the rain many times, this morning it was a chilly 45-F and just pouring down rain. I was leaving at 7:00am, and for some reason, wasn't hardly in the mood for suiting up and driving in the rain.

Well, I just have to say that everytime I mount that sidecar its a blast, but driving in the cold and rain with proper attire took the fun meter to a new level. I just love that I can lay into the brakes hard without fear of falling over or dump on the throttle and not care if the rear spins.

I honestly think it may be more fun to drive a sidecar in the rain, than a regular bike on a nice dry warm day.

Ok, that's my rant. I was just laughing and smiling this morning when I got to work on an otherwise utterly miserable day, and I thought that I'd share. These things are just too much fun.

not sure I'd enjoy the rain THAT much, but completely understand the smiles/miles quotient. . .love the rig and the rides.

Hey Spencer:
You made my day too. 🙂
Thanks for sharing.
Hope the law biz is going well, and that the kids are doing great.... Enjoy the holiday season with them.
Ride safe, and keep having fun.
Gail

Thanks Gail! The law biz is going well, although I'm just a green/new attorney. It's strange switching careers and staring as a new kid on the block when you have 5x kids and an established life, but I have no regrets. Well, only one regret. I don't make nearly what I used to. It's taken me 5x years to work my way to a lower salary 🙂 But all kidding aside, there is more upside and I really do enjoy helping engineers and nerds like myself navigate the law to obtain patents for their inventions. I get to speak nerdy one minute, and then switch to the law the next, so its a lot of fun. I hope all is well with you too.

Rick: The rain is a nuisance, but you just need the right gear. I didn't get a drop of water on me this morning. I have rubberized farm boots for my feet that are completely water proof. I switch shoes at the office. Over my slacks I wear water proof outer pants for cold weather and then a matching over jacket up top that is also waterproof. Depending on the temp, I may wear a leather jacket beneath the over jacket, as I did this morning. I stay very warm and very dry. The over jacket has a velcro neck guard too, and a double fly zipper/snap combo, so nothing gets in. For my face, I wear a neoprene full face cover when its cold, or a half when its not quite as cold, then my helmet on top. I wear a 3/4 helmet, though I think I'm going to switch to a full face modular as I like the reduced noise of a full face better. Oh, last but perhaps most important, I've got a killer pair of waterproof and electric heated Gerbing gloves (T5) that keep my mitts quite warm and very dry.

So then I walk into my law office looking like I'm ready to launch on the space shuttle, get a few snickers from the admins and other attorneys, then I shed my gear down to my slacks and shirt, throw on some shoes, and go on with my day.

If you don't have the right gear it can be miserable, but over the years I figured out what works, and aside from having to suit up/down, its really a lot of fun to get out there. Plus, I live in NW Oregon where I think it may actually rain more days per year than are shown on a traditional 365-day per year calendar.

Thanks for your reply though. I seriously had a blast riding in and just had to post.

Loved reading of your rainy drive into work. As one who lives in Portland, OR and also rode a motorcycle to/from the schools at which I taught year 'round I know exactly what you're talking about. It's a great way to begin your day and an even better way to end it. Some days after school I would go ahead and just ride another hour or so getting home. Though I'm now retired, I still ride (2 wheels) and drive (3 wheels) year 'round. In fact, tomorrow morning I'm going to drive the rig up to have a cup of coffee with a friend.

Karl

Thanks JKmolt. You really have to live around here to understand. If you aren't willing to go out in the rain, then you are giving up on countless weeks of riding.

You mean it's not arid there like it is in the Puget Sound area? lol

Lonnie

Had a great cup of coffee with my long time friend who thinks I'm completely nuts to ride in the rain. It was cloud burst rain on the ride up. Hardly a drop coming down while I was inside having coffee. Cloud burst all the way home. That's just the way it always is. And, as always, my windshield on the car leaked again. I'll find that pesky leak some day.

Karl

We don't get much pesky rain here in Boise. Mostly sunny here even when it snows.

Lonnie

Attached files

I haven't taken mine out in the snow before. Looks like fun!

I am so glad to see that I am not the only squirrel in the world. Maybe it's the growing up in Western New York, or winter tent camping with the scouts or just looking at the world from a position of being a half bubble off level but as the song says - I gotta be me.

geek_law - 12/16/2009 5:11 PM I haven't taken mine out in the snow before. Looks like fun!

You will enjoy it.

This was taken by my neighbor.  She flagged me down on my way to town so she could take the photo.  She thought it funny that I was going to get gas for the snowblower.

For Karl: Here we have frecuently the blast rain that you not even can see the instruments.
But I love to go through the mountains sliping and sliding on gravel and mud.
And the coldest you get here are about 11ºC at 3300m above see level. 25km later you are at 360m and 26ºC. You can have all kind of climate from desert dry to mouldy humid and clam fingers in one day.

For Mike:
I'd love to be on a frozen lake pulling with spike tire a dozen kid on their sleighs once more again....
Best regards
from 10ºN, 84ºW

Sven

I was raised in the Rocky Mountains with snow on the ground most of the winter. Had enough snow to last me a life time. I think I'll just stick to rain in the winter and sun in the summer. Have to admit, though, that I do think it would be fun to ride the rig in the snow. Mike's pictures are almost enough to encourage me to ride up into the Cascades to try a little snow riding!

Karl

Karl, piano and frozen fingers do not combine.
I can tell from the ocasion I got my fingers frozen to my fishing pole....
Got quite a few red eyes at -20ºC.
But it took 3 month for to heal the open hands.
Sven

Sven, we don't normally have much occasion to ride at temps below freezing so it's not normally a problem. Definitely not good for piano playing, though. I'll admit that.

Karl

I will go in the next few days into the cold and perhaps even freezing to the burry of my father.
He passed over calmly to the other side of Hades river tonight back in dark Germany.
Our last ride together was 22 years ago in my first rig in the snow during a stormy night. where the cars wouldn't do anything any more while the rig was in its best.
---my brother tells me it is white outside---they have a high expectancy for a white chrismas.-------
Now it will be my turn to carry the relay stick.

My tip to everybody who still have their family and friends:
Give them a hug IN LIFE.
Sven

Excellent advice, Sven. Hug all of them before the chance is gone. Hope you have a safe trip.

Karl

donuts in the snow is way too fun when the neighbours are clearing their driveways with the snowblowers,..hehe crawf.

Peter Pan - 12/18/2009 6:10 AM

I will go in the next few days into the cold and perhaps even freezing to the burry of my father.
He passed over calmly to the other side of Hades river tonight back in dark Germany.
Our last ride together was 22 years ago in my first rig in the snow during a stormy night. where the cars wouldn't do anything any more while the rig was in its best.
---my brother tells me it is white outside---they have a high expectancy for a white chrismas.-------
Now it will be my turn to carry the relay stick.

My tip to everybody who still have their family and friends:
Give them a hug IN LIFE.
Sven

I agree totally. That's nice advice. My father was with me to his 96th year and I miss him still. He was riding motorcycles many years ago!

Page 1 of 2Next