Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Drive System for Chair Wheel ?

Anyone done a custom setup to drive the 3rd wheel ?

I've heard about using a hydraulic pump to drive the hack wheel off the differential or rear wheel, or second option...some type of electric motor.

I know about the Mobec setup but you can only get in Germany, I'm looking to possibly build a simpler setup here in USA.

I have an 1150GS with custom hack built by Boxer Metal...we're doing a year around the USA first, then going around the world for a few years. I like the idea of 2WD since I love off-roading with the rig.

The idea of adding a driven sidecar wheel after the fact is a HUGE can of worms. If you're worried about getting stuck, you'd be muc better off buying a winch and mounting on the hack. Of course, that's just my opinion, you'll hear others.

With the 2wd on the Ural, there is no differential, so you can't use it on a hard surface, one of the tires has to slid going around corners, works well in snow or gravel but not on pavement. Also the final drive is one of the weak links on the Ural, and I have not heard how 2wd and 1wd compare for durability, but suspect 2wd adds more stress to the final drive. Hope you can find a good rig for your planned trip. You might check some of ccjon's post about his off road capable rigs on this forum.

I think you will find that 2wd have little real world use on your rig. It adds a lot of weight and complexity for very little gain. We can add it to the R1200GS or the water cooled R1200GS but do not have a set up for the R1150GS. What you really get with 2wd is bragging rights, a lighter wallet and stuck about 50 feet further on then if you did not have it. For me going around the world I would not want the complexity of the system. On the Ural 2wd makes some sense as the bike is over weight for its power on very skinny tires with limited ground clearance and suspension travel. On the Black Dog Enduro several years back I was on an R1100GS with one of our 72D sidecars, at the end of the event the sidecarists were discussing the event, one after another Ural owner spoke of a bad section on the course that they needed 2wd, After a few people spoke I finally figured out where the bad section was so that when it came my time all I had to say was, "more throttle" One thing I did do on my own bike that we can only do on the water cooled GSA is make all three wheels interchange such that a spare wheel will fit all three positions, I feel this is worth doing on a RTW bike much less so on a bike that stays in the first world. On my bike and many customers bikes we have added front and rear winches, I come along would also serve well for much less money.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

As someone who can compare with another type of rig: ultra light weight and longstroke 2 stroker. The very small and power lacking Jawa in montain range is handier then the 2wd Ural.
The Ural oven pipes have only one use. Depth stop.
The 2WD of the Ural is no biggie. Or it goes straight, or it goes straight.
In snow or mud(with ground) on regular slopes it has its advantage. (but on our local steep slopes power and short range gear box would fit in much better)

The personal taste for me would be a water cooled long stroke engine in a tall rig. The Alaska trip and living in tropical high mountain range showed me that 2WD is over valued. Nice to have it very few times to save the day. But often enough it does not do much more then getting stuck a bit further inside the horse track. Keith Birkhofer got after his Ural a Beemer rig from Jay. His Alaska trip was done in a finger snip without any tinkering and much easier then when I went on the Ural.

Resumee: I stay 98% in 1WD. and when that gets stuck I prefer to use the 2WD to get out of the mud ASAP before the rain sets in.

Yes, I love the idea of a bike you can repair yourself. But any of my Japanese bikes has/had been flawlessly trouble free. On a world tour I would consider that and weight it against the question if I prefer to ride with style and have to do maintenance every 2.500km = ridiculously short intervals.
Now that the Ural does work well, anyway I would not hesitate to do a cross continental ride again with it. Just planing and execution would turn out completely different.
Due to my personal adventurous taste a Mobec rig would be nice to watch and test ride...but I doubt I would get me one. It has a too wide foot pint and tires wider then my van. What for?
To cause a hole in the wallet? Better use cash for gasoline, bread and wine.

My needs and taste became humble...Kawa W800, Ural Patrol, Royal Enfield. It is like the former advertizements: "fire, pipe, Stanwell" "Square, practical, good."
A small bike does it.

2 Cent from somebody who has been there where you head for.
And doesn't regret the nonsense he did.
Life is for to live. (and fulfil the task the above designated to you.)
Sven