Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Dogs And Sidecars

PreviousPage 3 of 3

I'm jealous. Our 16 lb guard dog doesn't even really like to ride in the car. Have no idea why. When we travel, she jumps into the car by herself and settles down for a loooong nap. Put her in the sidecar once and she simply jumped out. She definitely has a mind of her own.

I would like to have a sidecar that is shaped and painted to look like a HUGE Mastiff with fangs bared. Then I want loud electronic sound of such an animal snarling and barking. I would have that sound hooked up to work when I push the horn button. I leave it to your imagination to what uses I might put it to.

Bike chasing dogs, other animals in the street, dumb drivers, etc.

After introducing Raskie to the sounds and motion of the Burgman sidecar rig during the week, today was his first ride around the neighborhood in Jena's lap. After a couple of minutes to adjust, he held his head up looking & sniffing - off to a good start:

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

What a cute expression! He looks like he'll be an enjoyable companion. Very nice to see your new family member.

Just the right entertainment for a terrier. Keep care that he doesn't become a hunter. We lost one in a harvester...last cut didn't leave space for the rabbit to escape. The rabbit could hide under the cut table. The dog went right into the knifes and spoiled 125kg ray grains. Nothing recognizable left over to undertake.
Terriers are just nuts when they are emotioned.

Got my Sidecar on the bike now and got Mr. Dawg to jump in and out of it. Started by parking next to the curb and putting a step up next to the sidecar and gave him some treats in it. He quickly learned to jump in and sit in it while I encouraged him and praised him. Took him out for a short ride up and down the block a time or two and he didn't try to jump out.

Drove down to the local Doggie Park which is about 4 miles away and he did a good job of sitting on the seat. Once he wanted to stand, but he sat back down when I told him to. He will now jump in and out without the step.

I have a replacement windshield that I need to put on as I left it off feeling it would make it easier to get Mr. Dawg to get used to getting into it.

I need to go down today and get him a harness and put a tie down in the bottom. Since he is such a big dog, I think I will need to take the seat out to give him more room.

Attached files

Joe, as bigger the dog as harder for it to keep equilibrium....a harness is a must....For our blind Golden it is so bad that we only stay within the farm.
For the Shepard it would be a good idea to make the seat pad removable and mount a carpet or thick floor mat.
Sven

For all three of my sidecar dogs now, I've taken the seat out and put thick foam pad covered with a blanket on the floor of the sidecar. Much more useful for the pup and he sits lower in the car. And since Petey likes to sit behind the windshield on the car, I don't make him wear Doggles. Both Archie and Henry liked to put their heads up over the hood so I'd run with no windshield on the sidecar but they wore Doggles for eye protection.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but "Sit, Stay, Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs" is in post-production and due out soon. I thought the folks in this thread might be interested.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/14/sit-stay-ride-documentary-video/

Cheers,

Dan K.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but "Sit, Stay, Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs" is in post-production and due out soon. I thought the folks in this thread might be interested.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/14/sit-stay-ride-documentary-video/

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dog's sometimes are adept to riding and then some don't like it at all. But if you are lucky and get a dog to ride I would think he would be confident enough to be your shadow at a rally. Impulse control is an issue with some dogs. I do not allow squirrel chasing so I have less to worry about, cleaning up, water, target blanket and such:)

Great video.

Got my Dog...
Still waiting for my Motorvation!!!

Attached files

Now begins the training and treats.

Attached files

Absolutely seeing dogs in sidecars. Must admit, however, that our little 20 pound "guard dog" is not sidecar oriented at all. No amount of praise or treats is going to change her opinion.

The guys that did sidecar dogs are doing a second one. They're on kickstarter with it, only three days left:

I coughed up for it, but there's a way to go yet.

Have fun!
Gary

our 2 Beagles, Albert & Fernand, like any sidecar!!

Absolutely love these pics. Our little 20 pound "baby" won't even come close to the sidecar. If placed in it, jumps right out. No amount of praise or treats will change her mind. Darn!

This is a very inspiring thread.

I have just recently started training "Kozi" a female dog of the streets we adopted. She was born some time in January and we don't know what she might grow into. Started her riding with a human and eased into solo rides. Longest trip was today when she and I went to the county courthouse to pay the taxes on one of our rigs, a round trip of about 28 miles. Only problem today was when we stopped at the insurance office to make a payment and the lady there had to run out and take a picture. Kozi got so excited she peed all over the seat. The folks at the vet are begging me to bring her in to her next appointment in the sidecar. On our first ride around town (1,038 according to the census) we almost had a serious accident. Rolled up to the stop sign near the back of our yard and Kozi saw my wife in the yard. She tried to leap out and run home! Think it scared me more than her. Now we make sure the tether is short enough that she cannot clear the sides of the car.

I'm going to try to post some pictures but have doubts about my technical skills.

Pictures ???

Attached files

Try again on first picture.

Attached files

PreviousPage 3 of 3