Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Dogs And Sidecars

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

denim - 7/27/2013 10:39 PM

Wow! Hector was a wonder dog indeed! i believe that all dogs go to heaven, i mean...if love has anything to do with it. or loyalty or goodness. and if they don't then i will gladly go wherever it is that they go because after 45 years i still miss butch, and i miss Romeo who has been gone ten years, and then there is Alice, who might out-live me!

Jeri, I couldn't agree more. I know heaven exists and I hope Gretchen will be there when I get there!

Jay S.
Okie from Muskogee

And you called him Hector?

Why didn't you call him Lucky?

Phelonius - 7/28/2013 1:53 PM

And you called him Hector?

Why didn't you call him Lucky?

He was named by the breeder prior to entering my life and before all the woes befell him. We had agreed not to rename him as part of the conditions of buying him and, had you the opportunity to know him, you would have agreed that "Hector" was the perfect name for him anyway.

Gummiente - 7/28/2013 5:11 PM
..."Hector" was the perfect name for him anyway

We're proud of Sir George dutifully accepting his responsibilities as shop dog.  Cool

Here's Maddie waiting on me to hurry up and get going during a break on Saturday morning's ride:

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Lee, she's a true hack dog.

Ode to Corkie Joe 2009-2014

While we were attending the June 2014 New Mexico Invasion of the Texas Ural Riders Division of the Soviet Steeds (the T.U.R.D.'s) sidecar gathering in Timberon, New Mexico, our little sidecar ambassador and Mrs. SwampFox's hack pup extraordinaire developed an abdominal infection too severe to overcome. Corkie is buried along the Sacramento River in the Lincoln National Forest. Farewell little friend . . . . . . .

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

So sorry to hear about Corkie, loosing a dog is so hard, we will all miss Corkie.
Lloyd and Judy

We feel with you, Lee,
each time its like a part of yourself gets ripped out.
The memories stay and as a Peruan, Alberto Gongora taught me," As long as I am not forgotten. I stay alive"
In our family we have lost lots of pets once and again,and each time it hurts again.
Keep the memory alife while you give a hug to your wife and remaining dogs.
The gone ones are still there, just out of sight.
Sven

Peter Pan - 6/9/2014 9:25 PM
... " As long as I am not forgotten. I stay alive"....

Well said. I've been fortunate that all my other dogs have lived full lives, including a Border Collie back on the farm that survived several years with just 3 legs. Corkie had a gift for understanding people's feelings/emotions, and he was just coming into his prime. And we have now discovered there is something special about a dog that travels along in your sidecar.

SwampFox - 6/9/2014 3:51 PM

Ode to Corkie Joe  2009-2014

While we were attending the June 2014 New Mexico Invasion of the Texas Ural Riders Division of the Soviet Steeds (the T.U.R.D.'s) sidecar gathering in Timberon, New Mexico, our little sidecar ambassador and Mrs. SwampFox's hack pup extraordinaire developed an abdominal infection too severe to overcome. Corkie is buried along the Sacramento River in the Lincoln National Forest. Farewell little friend . . . . . . .

I got a great deal of pleasure reading about everyone's dogs and sidecar experiences. The ode to Corkie got to me though. You can tell from the picture he was a very special dog, but then most are special. They are called man's best friend for good reason. I am not yet even a sidecar owner but am gathering the parts- leading link forks and subframe for my bike so far. I have come close to taking the sidecar plunge several times in the last 50 years but I am finely doing it primarily for Meatloaf. Meatloaf is a 150# Bullmastiff. His greatest joy in life is going for a truck ride but he jumps in or on anything that moves so I am pretty sure he will love a sidecar. It does somewhat limit my options as to which sidecar he will fit in.

Chuck Palmer DVM

Hookalatch - 6/18/2014 4:07 PM
... I have come close to taking the sidecar plunge several times in the last 50 years but I am finely doing it primarily for Meatloaf. Meatloaf is a 150# Bullmastiff. His greatest joy in life is going for a truck ride but he jumps in or on anything that moves so I am pretty sure he will love a sidecar. It does somewhat limit my options as to which sidecar he will fit in....

Welcome to the offset sidecar world, certainly enhanced by the pleasures (and challenges) of introducing children to the sport and training/traveling with a dog in the sidecar. Meatloaf would not fit comfortably in the current configuration of my Ranger sidecar - just not enough room. Be sure your choice of sidecar has sufficient space for him; I suggest removing the seat for a larger flat floor and installing a pad for traction, comfort and/or vibration damping. Good luck with your project and we're looking forward to pics of Meatloaf on the road.

Here is my too-small-for-Meatloaf configuration for Maddie:

Options for the anchor include chain, rope and break-away straps, best when connected to to a full harness under the chest.

Last weekend I took Maddie for a ride around the neighborhood before installing the passenger seat for delivery to Paulaau ...

... here's Paulaau's O'Malley on his "test-fit" - looks like the seat will soon be coming back out Smile:

My small Cairn/Yorkie mix loves to ride. He seems to like putting nose prints on the windscreen. He's tethered and only barks at cows and horses.

Attached files

With meatloaf in your sidecar you need not fear breaking down. Just keep a sled dog harness in the bustle, he will be happy to tow you home.

As a retired pro show dog handler and having had dogs for 77 of my 78 years I can understand and offer sympathy for your loss. It is never easy to let one go as they are
family. With as many as I have lost, when the day comes that I pass over the Rainbow Bridge and they all come out to greet me the Bridge will collapse from the weight!!
And don't ever forget that there is another dog out there that needs you and will love you.

Took this at the 2014 National, Low Country Boil. My other pics from the weekend are here: http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Bobmws/library/USCA%202014?sort=3&page=1

This is Doug and Gus:

Attached files

In March this year I ordered a Motorvation Spyder to fit my 2005 Road Glide for Murphy, our Golden/cocker mix. We think he may have been a lost Dakota Sport retriever breed.... Half Golden, 1/4 American Cocker, 1/4 English Cocker. He was 8 weeks or so old, lost and found in IN. He's found a home and a new avocation.... Got him Trike Broke in a bag early and working on the solo seat by way of a Red Wagon. Next month Motorvation is supposed to have our hack ready to install.

What is a good source for harnesses?

Attached files

96flgeez - 7/24/2014 9:31 PM
In March this year I ordered a Motorvation Spyder to fit my 2005 Road Glide for Murphy... Next month ... supposed to have our hack ready to install.

What is a good source for harnesses?

Looks like Murphy is off to a good start! We've had good service with with the Sure-Fit Harness by Premier, now PetSafe, which has a ring under the chest to attach a tether right in the dog's "center of gravity" - http://store.petsafe.net/sure-fit-harness

SwampFox,

Thanks for the quick response. Will look up http://store.petsafe.net/sure-fit-harness .

Ride Safe

Wolfhound - 6/26/2014 9:57 AM
... And don't ever forget that there is another dog out there that needs you and will love you.

Yep, sure is.  Meet Raskie Rascal, a little terror --oops, terrier-- mix rescued with his siblings by the Heart of Louisiana Humane Society and adopted at 10 weeks old by Mrs. SwampFox last weekend, all 2.1 pounds of him.  As we, nor the Humane Society volunteers, have seen his parents, we don't know how big he might grow:

Raskie is several months away from beginning his sidecar training.  Although he already travels pretty well in the car, he was a little unsure during today's first solo venture in a stationary sidecar**:

** This is Hugh's sidecar, which is at our house for some repairs/adjustments.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next