USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Dogs And Sidecars

c64club - 7/24/2013 3:36 AM

Delma in sidecar. Few things has to be improved, to ensure her safety and not allow her to jump out. But Delma enjoyed sidecar ride I think as much as my human passenger.... Cool

We fabricated an insert to ensure Maddie's safety. It's made out of 2 sheets of plywood, hinged together and covered with trunk carpet -- with an anchor point for the chain that hooks to the bottom of her chest harness. The plywood is fixed to the floor using existing bolts. I added the old exercise pad to help isolate her from some of the vibrations from the Sportster:

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

Phelonius - 3/17/2013 5:16 AM

The female dogs are probably the best.
They are very loyal to you and your property and they never try to hump your leg.

I agree. Female dogs are easier to train and they don't want to be the "pack leader". There's no better dog than a good female Schnauzer IMHO.

I've got to say that dogs are the number one reason for sidecars as far as I'm concerned. But, sometimes a human can ride in the dog's hack.

Jay S.
Okie from Muskogee

Buffalohead - 7/24/2013 11:15 AM
I've got to say that dogs are the number one reason for sidecars as far as I'm concerned. But, sometimes a human can ride in the dog's hack....

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

I've said this before on here but I'll say it again (and try to be brief). When my wife of many years (43 now) decided she wanted to quit riding, I bought a used Ural to see if she'd like the ride. And to see if my dog at the time, Archie, would. And to see what I thought of riding on three wheels. I sure didn't expect to like it, thinking the only reason anyone would ride on three is because they couldn't handle two for what ever reason. Big shock to find out how much fun it was. A whole new thrill. Barb had her mind made up though. She no longer wanted to accept the risk. But Archie loved it and took to it and Doggles as if he'd been born to it. So after two years or so of riding the Ural while the Harley mostly sat, I knew I was hooked. Sold the Ural, my Kwik Kamp and an old tractor and ordered the Liberty. Haven't regretted it for a minute. And Petey is my third sidecar sidekick... The adventure continues!

Tom Wells aka Reardan Tom

I'm not going to wade into the male vs female debate, all I'll say is that having your dog ride along with you makes any trip more enjoyable and allows you to meet many friendly, like minded people along the way. A call beforehand to your destination will let you know if dogs are welcome or not; if not, simply go somewhere else.

Hector The Wonder Dog had many adventures in his Ural and I have many fond memories of our time together...

Sir George Of Grey County took to his Ranger chair like a duck to water and helps me out at work in his capacity as official oVc Shop Dog...

WOW Mike, Sir George is really growing fast. What a fine looking sidecar companion.

Wonder dog? Izzat cause he's wondering why you dumped him out in the snow?

Great photos!!!

Phelonius - 7/26/2013 12:03 PM

Wonder dog? Izzat cause he's wondering why you dumped him out in the snow?

No, we actually called him that because he was blind, had a metal plate in one leg, suffered from epilepsy and arthritis... yet he still could chase a ball or a frisbee, go swimming and most of all loved to ride in his sidecar. It's been two years now since he passed and I still miss him very much.

Wow! Hector was a wonder dog indeed! i believe that all dogs go to heaven, i mean...if love has anything to do with it. or loyalty or goodness. and if they don't then i will gladly go wherever it is that they go because after 45 years i still miss butch, and i miss Romeo who has been gone ten years, and then there is Alice, who might out-live me!