Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Dog In Sidecar

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Not so here in Idaho.
I see lots of loose dogs in pickups and hanging out of cars here. But then we're a bit looser here on the frontier. No helmet law and we only have a $10. seat belt fine and cockfighting is alive and well. Blow .08 and you will get busted though but that's the church influence not the farmers.

Lonnie

BTW: We stayed in Chester a year or so back at what was (I think) the motel. Neat area, we rode in on a byway that was closed in winter and had just opened for the season. Does hiway 70 sound right? We rode in over a dam as I recall.
L.

Lost yesterday the new S/C Puppy "Baloo", it was hit by a car.... so here we are again only with 2 old four leged passengers, who for nothing are as exited as the Puppies were.
Enjoy the slobber and scratches while they live.
Sven

Sorry to hear about Baloo Sven.... Happier trails are ahead, no doubt.

Yes indeed....that's Chester... Next time yer welcome to stay at our cabin... Hopefully you ate at our local Donut shop...(my hang out)...sort of a Maybery USA kinda place..
Our local motorcycle shop just closed....the owner (about 30 years old)..just fell dead in his shop one night... sad deal... I had been talking to him about becoming a Ural dealer...and he was thinking about it.... really a nice kid..

Joel

Sven, always sad to hear when someone loses a friend (either 2 or 4 legged). Just goes to show that we need to enjoy them while we have them.

I have a new problem,I took Lincoln on two medium rides and he did very good except he won't keep the Doogles on and now all he does is bark like crazy when we go for a ride. Do you think the pipes are hurting his ears,they are BUb7 exhaust. Also any tricks to help keep the Doogles on him? HELPPPPPP

B-roadglide - 3/19/2010 10:43 AM

I have a new problem,I took Lincoln on two medium rides and he did very good except he won't keep the Doogles on and now all he does is bark like crazy when we go for a ride. Do you think the pipes are hurting his ears,they are BUb7 exhaust. Also any tricks to help keep the Doogles on him? HELPPPPPP

I have dogooles also, Have not had the dog in the car yet, but I have been putting them on here in the house, the more I have them on her, she is more compliant with them.

Garry

Hey Bobby - The doogles take time. Lots of it. I spent many hours with Fred out in the yard just sitting with him and walking him around with a leash so he wouldn't rub them off. Also, start out with clear lens unless out in bright sunlight so he doesn't freak out about everything being dark. Even still, as soon as we get home and the bike is turned off he wants those doogles off. He's ok with them as long as we're riding.

Also, Fred rode for four and a half years with BUB 2 into 1 pipes. Didn't seem to be a problem. I think the Screaming Eagle pipes I have now are even louder and he doesn't seem to mind. Just go easy at first and get him used to it. Start slow and if he doesn't bark, give him a treat. Keep doing that and see what happens.

Sometimes it's hard trying to figure out what's really bothering him. Maybe it's not the noise. Maybe it's the wind. Maybe he's just excited. Good Luck because when he's happy it's really fun having them along for the ride. A dog in the sidecar sure brings a smile to the faces of everyone around you.

Terry

As an alternative to a harness, has anyone made an enclosure or frame to keep a dog in the tub?

Rich in NM

In my humble opinon, a cage would have to be fully closed and have a lot of cushion.
I am terrified even more then my dogs, when they have a too long lash and get thrown over board in a harsh lefty.
The last time Negra went over board it was even more astonishing then a racing monkey how she stayed on the small entrance step with her face just a few inch above the ground.
Now I prefer to have the lash so tight fastened at their breast, that the dogs barely just even get to the right s/c opening.
Although our dogs got pretty good balance very fast, a fast left turn or hard break for example because of a bummer taking your priority will throw them outside or against the cage as you suggest.

Best wishes
Sven

Sven: Thanks for sharing your thoughts--I'm now thinking that putting my dog (a German shepherd) in the tub might not be a great idea. If something went wrong, it could go terribly wrong in a hurry.

Rich in NM

When I was prepping my 3 y/o golden, Barley, for life in a sidecar I started off by making really good things happen in the parked hack. I fed him in the hack, gave him treats, installed a very comfy dog bed in the rig, etc. Nothing bad ever happened there, never a harsh word spoken. It became his safe place well before I even turned on the engine. Then I introduced the engine noise, and finally we moved on to short rides to cool places: swimming holes, hiking paths, businesses that offered dog treats.

By the time we started riding for real (several hour trips) he considered the hack his own, and when we were away from home if he was startled he ran back to the sidecar. This came in very handy when we took our week long, 1500 mile camping trip through Ontario and upstate NY.

Unfortunately, I never did manage to convince him to wear his doggles. The good thing is he only looks around the windscreen at 20mph or below. Above that he peers thru the screen, and above 50 he just lays down.

Attached files

If he likes riding in a car, hanging his head out the window, he'll love the sidecar. You just need to get the right harness or a car with a removable top. I have a Siberian Husky and a Friendship III sidecar(2 person). He has yet to ride in it because it was a project just for him and near complete. It has a removable top and side windows. Go out to http://www.californiasidecar.com/sidecars.htm and you can see what they look like, but I don't think they make them anymore. Here's a link to a guy on craigslist with a 2+2 sidecar he's selling, but pretty pricey.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/1886782588.html

Our sidecar dogs were/are, Nana a Irsh Setter/Golden Retriever bread (passed by last year), Negra a fat labrador bread, and old Camilla a tiny Pincher bread, which looks like the original Taco Bell Chihuahua.
Nana was about the size of a shepherd, There was no trouble with her in the sidecar as long she wore a pretty large chest harness hooked in at the chest.
I cannot recomend to tie them down at a neck collar. They FLY, twist their neck badly and the back legs go over board...
Had it happen in the real beginning some 3-4 times at pretty slow speeds and fast I got real harnesses.
I wouldn't like to have it happen at higher speeds or in an emergency.
All 3 dogs have/had their "stand up speed limit" at 70km/h = 43mph, Nana ran beside without a lash at about 35km = 22mph and for 4 km or more even when she suffered cancer. But only out of a village, inside the other dogs bothered her too much, so she asked me to hold and hopp - inside she was.
Sven 😉

PreviousPage 2 of 2