Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Dog In Sidecar

Page 1 of 2Next

I have a TLE and trying to find out how to get a big dog in and out of the hack without scratching it up,do you have to pick them up every time? Also how do you mount a harness to hook them in the hack?

I don't know about your TLE but on my Liberty, Archie jumps in and out without ever touching the side of the car. Main thing that messes it up a bit is slobber... do a Google search for dailymotion riderstories tom and archie and you'll see how it works for him. At least it worked that way before the FCE. I might have to help him now and that's OK, at least he's still riding.

A guy I know with a Harley Sidecar takes his Lab everywhere. He has a bath towel in the sidecar. He brings out the towel and puts it over the fender before his dog gets in or out. I know all dogs have different ideas about getting in and out but it might help with the paint.

I put some of that clear 3M paint protection film on the side of mine to protect the paint. You can find it on ebay . Rick.

My lab, gets in and out without touching the paint, My Dnepr has a step right in front of the hack's wheel, he hops on that and on to the seat.

I don't know what a TLE is, does it have a step?

Dave

Scratches everywhere, even on top of the tank..... When the boat was in repair. 14 year old Camilla Pincher-market bread didn't have the patience to wait. So she decided to drive solo too.
The name says it already:=> MotorCYCLE. they are for to ride, not to polish....

Now the dogs are happy again and I feel a little more comfortable since the new boat base is equipped with a resistant dog latch.

Best wishes from the best summer we had in years.
10ºN,84ºW
OH, I forgot to tell: Last week on Wednesday was opened a very important new road that connects Central Valley to the Pacific port Caldera... only 32 years later then it was planned., Road toll for 78km = 4,-US$ = 1 to 2 hours average industrial wage.
Thursday beautyfull and empty. Sunday completely jammed..... ::::===>>> An der Planung kann es nicht gelegen haben, denn es gab keine! -It cannot be due to the planification, because there was no such thing involved: 1 lane into each direction , second lanes only on steep hills, like in the original plan!

Hallejulia that's Costa Rica,
Did "Tres Patines" from "La tremenda Corte / tremenous court" escape from Cuba and settle down here?
Sven

A month later but you might want to check this out;
http://doggles.com/step_in_harness.html

I got a Alaskan Husky,(half siberian and half manmute), just turned 11 and because of tearing out his ACL's from chasing coyote's, he's fat and can't jump. I have a Friendship III sidecar and am either going to make a foldup ramp, or do some fab work on the car, to get him in. I've been working on this Venture/sidecar project for almost 2 years and down to paint now, so doing a little more fabbing won't hurt, but I don't think he's got that much longer left and he gets peed when he sees me taking off on the HD or the Vstar. Here's a pic of him when we used to go out on the boat.

Attached files

I think a ramp or a special step device would work fine..... I have a small dog...and she rides everyday...but waits to be lifted in and out...she easily could jump, but I do not allow that...it's obediance training... I have a 14" teather inside and attached to the inside grab bar on the left side....so when she is on the right she can not get much more than her head out that side..... does not matter on the left side...your leg is right there... although she has never even had a close call...and never tries to jump out... (I control when she gets in and out) I think it's good training.... so she does not jump up and scratch the paint... (not that it matters much to me)... just not good dog manners, like charging the door when she goes out...(she waits to be invited out).....

Joel

The Dnepr (Dnepier) is a Ukrainian BMW M72 Clone which has a step in front of the fender.
The TLE is the standard Harley sidecar where one enters over the top and drops in. It has a small frame mounted step plate.

Lonnie

Cann't help much with geting in and out, I have a Daytona 2+, it opens like a clam shell and my buddy justs steps in. However, he always wears a harness with a dual dog walking leash. It clips into both sides of the harness. I modified the handling end with a buckle that allows me to adjust how much play is in the leash. I use the seat belt in the hack to secure the leash inside. He can move to either side and is happy with the setup. Oh yeah, the slobber wipes right off the hack and the wife.

Enjoy and be Safe
Roy

>>>Oh yeah, the slobber wipes right off the hack and the wife<<<

That's Funny!

Any chance you can give me some info of where you picked your buddies setup up at? Maybe a couple of picks? Just of the setup, not the slobber on the wife. LOL

The basic harness is available in most pet sections, I got mine at PETCO. I had to fab a new belly band so the two dog leash would clip in. Two steel 1 inch rings, a length of one inch nylon strap, cut to your dogs measurements (around the waist just behind the front legs) the buckle from the original belly band and a little sewing. I took a picture of the belly band now lets see if I can remember how to upload it.
Actually the idea came from another member who had posted it on the web site, cann't remember how long ago, but we were talking about taking our dogs on rides and how we secured them in the hacks.
I tried to find a harness already made up but did not have much luck finding anything suitable on the internet or local pet stores. The harness is great as it pulls on the chest and not the neck as collars do.

Sorry about that. Picture did not take with the post. I posted the picture in the albums. Go to abbums, then click on roy album, then click on the picture to make it bigger. The leash clips into the one inch rings.

Roy

Thanks for all of the info guys. Smokeynal that's what I've been trying to find is a harness that clips at the chest instead of on the back,the picture you provided looks like it might do the trick,now I need to practice mt sewing skills LOL. I put one hook on the bottom of the seat on each side and hook the two dog leash to those and hook that to the chest of harness that we can't find.

Some folk like this product - dunno, haven't got a doggie to try it out on.
http://www.muttslinger.com/

Tony
Lacey (dammit) WA
'83 R100RT w/Ural sidecar *Built by da 'Bum!!*

Our Beagle jumps onto the bike seat then into the sidcar, believe she's more cat then dog. 90# Pitbull goes over the fender, we keep a piece of carpet handy for him... 06 Harley TLE
Never had the need to secure them in the car, will put a seatbelt in before the Grandson starts ridin along...

When Archie first started riding, I had a harness and I'd strap him in. Haven't done that for several years now but since he suffered the FCE, I thought it might be a good idea for a while. Dug it out and found that it was missing a buckle. Didn't find one on anything else that would fit so we did a trial run in to get the mail at the post office one day and he rode as he did normally without any odd quirks. Last Sunday we rode on the Frosty Bunz Run out of Post Falls, Idaho. Rode all day. The only difference the FCE made is that now I help him into and back out of the sidecar. Before he'd get in and out effortlessly.

I diden't want to buy a teather...so I made my own out of a old dog leash... decided how long it needed to be...and cut it down then had my wife sew a loop in the shortened end...so now it just looks like a 16" dog leash... then I looped it through the grab handle to attach it.....and the California Highway Patrol has checked it out several times...and never said a word.... they told me that the dog HAS to be teathered in the car.... guess that is kinda like having a dog in the back of a pickup truck and MUST be teathered there too...

Joel

First: I'm a firm believer in proper restraint for animals in the sidecar or any other vehicle.
Second: I think the CHP would be hard pressed to show any mention of statutes regarding carrying animals in a motorcycle sidecar (unless there is an omnibus provision somewhere covering any animal in any motorized vehicle).

Lonnie

Yes that is it.... in California you can't carry a dog in the back of a pickup or even a open jeep without some sort of restraint. I too think it's a good thing.... and understand why it is a law....I just do not like people telling me what I have to do ..... to much of that already in California...

Joel

Page 1 of 2Next