Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Does your rig Cup the steer tire

I wanted to throw this out there and just see what everyone is seeing with their rigs

If I had to pick one thing about having a sidecar that was a real pain and a strike against it I would have to say it is the front tire cupping

But I can't totally blame the sidecar as all 3 wings I have owned would at some point before the life of the tire was gone begin cupping

also I hear all the time and have had it happen that there is a slow speed headshake, all 3 of the ones I have had did both to some extent 

even when running on 2 wheels 

So is the cupping and headshake present on other bikes and if so to what extent 

USCA # 8913

Hello Ace,

what shall mean "cupping" the front tire?  I never heard the term.

Low speed wobble is part of physical nature of rigs. My Jawa rig once whacked my right wrist that hard it ached for 4 days. For some reason you shall never lift off hands from the handle bar on rigs... (say that to newcomers who just switched from 2 to 3 wheels).

That the bike goes straight over a fully turned front wheel on steep hill climbs or on wet/dirty/iced road is due to that "the saint of holy static friction" can only do his job until a certain point. Or he can handle steering, or breaking but not all together under ugly conditions 😉 

Sliding friction is only a infinite fraction of static friction. good point on the rig is that you are able to play with so many variables that where a car goes straight into the ditch, the rig you still can manage a lot with weight shift and some acrobatic. The main reason why I prefer a rig to a car in snow, ice and gravel. Plus have left a last resort: Take the Parachute!

Therefore: Never pass over 70% of the capability of tire adherence capability. And never ride faster then as far you are able to see and react.

Best: Keep your guardian angel happy.

Sven

Some tires are more prone to "cupping" (uneven, patterned wear on a tire) in the first place.

Some tires are susceptible due to over or under inflation based on load.

Rigs will cause cupping because of the unbalanced forces inherent in them.  One can minimize this by all the "tweaking" of settings to make the rig run "best" under specific conditions, but at the end of the day, forces are unbalanced and some level of uneven wear is going to occur.

I speak here as a physics teacher who wants to operate a sidecar rig and who is attempting to build his first rig, having read many hundreds of accounts from other Practitioners of Sidecar Dark Arts.

Ace, I've not experienced cupping of the front tire on either the '81 Gold Wing or on the '98 Valkyrie.  I've also not experienced front wheel wobble on either of those sidecar rigs.  Both rigs had damping cylinders.  I have experienced a wobble which became a "tank slapper" on a '65 Honda Dream 305, an experience I never want to repeat.

Try the Avon Trike Tire, we have had good service with it.

In the realm of odd and probably totally unrelated facts...  Rolls Royce's up until the late 1990's were known for cupping their front tires in just a few thousand miles.  Go figure.