Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Does anyone tie spokes for increased rigidity?

Tieing spokes is at where the spokes cross, you take a couple of turns of siezing wire, twist tight, solder the twist, nip off the remnants.

Net effect is to make the rim more solid in relationship to the hub.

You think so? I have more the fear to over tighten and cause a breakage start.
I have broken enough spokes on my 3 rigs I had/have. generally in the base ear. keep them all the same tension has been more important then the straight run of the rim.
Anyhow not any rig I had passed 115kmh 72mph
Sven

I know little, so I observe, research, ask questions, then weight the answers.

Cyclists riding touring tandems do this to cut down on spoke breakage on the driven side of the rear wheel, so I was wondering if this is done on rigs, which also have high lateral stresses on spoked rear wheels.

Seems suspicious.

On a Ural with the weak Russian original spokes I have had issues but really doubt if this trick would solve it. On the Ural it is best to re-spoke with good quality spokes.

When I had a BMW sidecar rig I replaced rear wheel spokes with Buchanan Stainless spokes. Solved spoke breakage. 1975 R90.

Don't know about the added rigidity of tied spokes but tying them will help stop a spoke that breaks from slinging around and doing other damage (at least the longer half of it anyway).