Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Do you use your rig for day to day family transportation?

I'm looking for a few folks who use their rigs as their regular family transportation. It doesn't have to be exclusive but at least regular. We need folks to be interviewed for a national newspaper story about sidecars. To respond, please send me a private message at Al@AlOlme.com. THX!

Just sent a private message..

Mike in MS

Article here.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/motorcycle-sidecars-make-riding-a-family-affair-1434751442

I have a p/u but only drive it about one or two times a month. The rest of the time I get about with my sidecar rig or mobility scooter or wheelchair.
And I am building a special sidecar rig to carry the wheelchair and my accordion so I can better abuse tourists.

Long before I went with sidecars, my motorcycle was my "car". Rode it to school where I taught everyday (rain or shine - not much snow here in Portland, OR). My students called me the "friendly Hell's Angel". Average annual milage was between 12 to 16 thousand miles a year. Rode to conventions wearing full leather and really enjoyed the looks on the faces of my music teaching friends! Now, with a sidecar, I'm doing the same but have since retired. As yet, my wife of almost 50 years does't ride much because she has an eye condition that causes her eyes to tear up terribly with the slightest breeze.

I payed the dollar just so I could read the article. Funny thing is, at the end, the school instructed Mr. Robinson to stop using a sidecar to bring his child to school. What the…? That's one of the main ways I plan on using my sidecar!

I put more miles on my rig last year then my car. It was 23f when I left home this AM but I do not have kids. Define family.

Not with my current rig. Back in the mid 70's to 80's when I rode a sidecar it always got more miles a year than my car. In fact, since about 1969 when I first started riding (two wheels) until about ten years ago the bike or sidecar rig was my transportation of choice. Then about ten years ago I switched back to sidecar because of family health issues and the car started getting more use. Just this week I decided I will have to get a battery maintainer because it sits a lot during the winter, I've never had to do that before.

I won't pay to read their article. What school was Mr. Robinson taking the child to? Last year and the year before, I carried my daughter to and/or from school and school sponsored events in a sidecar on a regular basis. Most at the school, including principal, teachers and students thought it was cool. Several teachers asked for rides. But then, our school is not part of the nightmare in the public system. My girl attends an old, well established Catholic School. She is even getting a decent education.

The only reason we don't use the rig much now is because we are carpooling this year and the other girl's mama won't let her baby ride on a motorcycle..... :o:-(

I won't pay to read the article either but it seems to me if you bring your own child to school in a vehicle that's legally licensed for use on the public roads, the school has no business saying you have to use another vehicle. The child is not under their care or supervision until he/she sits foot on the school property. Or rides the school bus.

Jamie Robinson lives in LA. He rides a Ural and has his own YouTube channels. I wonder if he's ever discussed riding with his boy.

Cars never were for me. For the job I had to use a van until december 2012 when traffic jams became too bad I switched over to the 2 and 3 wheelers. Specially for the tool hauling the rig is my preferred vehicle... But traffic has become so bad that even today I needed 35 minutes for 10-12 miles to drop off my daughter at the university on the 2 wheeler. (had moments for the same distance 1 1/4 hour on 2 wheels sneaking in between the rows!)

Bad notice for my sanity: My son is using my rig since he got the licence in November...was able to use my own rig only 4 occasions since then.

Mileage on the shops service van 1.1.15 to today 980km! (87.000km in 14 years / 2013 = 3000km, 2014 = 2000km, 2015 = 980km)
Somebody has a use for it? The diesel engine needs to get on the road urgently.
Sven

Many of the teachers at my son's school have had photo's taken of themselves next to our son in our rig (on their cell phones, so no pics, sorry).

The other kids are saying 'Oh wow, cool, neat' etc., he's nonchalant, 'Oh, well, yes, {yawn} you mean you don't ride in one?' 🙂

Have an f6b with Hannigan Classic attached. Use it as general transportation . Really enjoy riding this rig and it has become my "go to" vehicle of choice. Wasn't sure if I would even like riding with a sidecar. Now, I so thoroughly enjoy it it is THE transportation I use. The versatility is fantastic. Anxious to see some warmer weather come to make a few camping trips. Headed to Daytona bike week in 2 weeks. This rig handles both super slabs and back roads with the same ease! Great rig!

I put more miles on my rig and bike combined than my truck, however I do try to pick my days. I'll do hot and cold within reason (18 degrees today if I go out will be in the cage) will do wet but try not to do cold and wet. Now that I have retired hope to skew toward the rig and bike even more. 🙂