Skip to content
Do I Have to Become...

Notifications
Clear all

Do I Have to Become a Motorcycle Mechanic?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mikem)
Topic starter

I am at a point where I need to do various mechanical work on my 2001 Harley Heritage sidecar rig (example: reduced effort clutch install). I am not a mechanic and no Harley dealer will touch this bike because of the sidecar. Some Harley dealers will not work on it because it's more than 10 years old. Several non Harley shops take a pass because of the sidecar.  I am wondering how USCA members deal with this. I guess we have to become motorcycle technicians and set up a shop? 

Posted : June 15, 2022 7:15 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Mike, yes this is a common problem with dealers in not wanting to touch sidecar rigs. Usually it is because our rigs won't fit on their lifts. Since this is a repair on just the bike and nothing to do with the sidecar, can you disconnect the tub and just take the bike in?

Or locate an independant mechanic. There are many retired HD mechanics around the country. 

Another option is ask the HD mechanics if they do work on the side, outside the shop. Many of them will. Since the shop refuses the work, there is no conflict of interest with the shop owner. Most mechanic have their own tools and can do the work.

If all else fails, check youtube for videos on how to do the install, maybe it is something you can do yourself. Have found after watching a video or two, I felt comfortable enough to do the work myself.

Posted : June 15, 2022 10:09 am
(@al-olme2)

Mike, you might want to tell us what city you're in.  Maybe someone near you knows of a good mechanic that is willing to work on sidecars.

Good Luck,

A

Posted : June 15, 2022 11:31 am
(@smitty901)

Plenty of Indy shop around. But shop smart.

Part of riding is doing the work you can.

Posted : June 15, 2022 12:50 pm
(@mikem)
Topic starter

Thank you all.  Al I'm 10 minutes outside of Boston. CC yes there is a Harley dealer who will work on it if you disconnect the sidecar. I've been reluctant to do that since it is so well set up  by Claude Stanley. It's one of his sidecars. Eventually I guess I will have to do it. Might as well be sooner than later. 

Posted : June 15, 2022 4:29 pm
(@big-tom)

Ask around for an independent mechanic who will take it in with the hack attached. If I had to disconnect my hack for every time it needed shop work I would need to part with it. 

Posted : June 16, 2022 4:01 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Mike, if you are careful to not change any of the settings, just unbolt and disconnect the tub. Don't loosen more Bolts or nuts than is necessary to remove the tub. Yes it might be a pain to do but then you should not  have a problem reconnecting and keep the same setting as Claude had.

I used a Harbor Freight furniture dolly with several 2x4's to support the tub while it was disconnected. Also eased the moving around of the tub while disconnected. 

Posted : June 16, 2022 5:32 pm
(@mikem)
Topic starter

Thank you, CC. I'll take a look at the connections and see which ones seem to disturb the set up the least. Maybe I could mark the locations with tape or a little paint?

Posted : June 17, 2022 5:29 am