USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

diving in left turn

I have a 87 goldwing with a 80 Velorex 560 I have upgraded all mounts and struts with biger tubes and went to a 1inch axle no upgrade to shock or swing arm I know that this is not the ideal rig for bike but the price was good FREE when i take a hard left turn the bike and sidecar dives down what other upgrades do i have to do fix this

Attached files

The pictured sidecar is a 562E (for economy or Euro) Velorex 562/03 sidecar. These lightweight models were built for the 350cc to 500cc Jawas, MZs & CZs and were imported up to about 2000 for use with light to middleweight motorcycles.
They had a 15mm axle and the unadjustable shock was mounted between the axle and swing-arm pivot point. End result is very poor shock resistance leverage, which is fine for a 300# motorcycle but with a large Heavyweight touring bike.
Bike with rider weighs maybe 1,000# +-.The sidecar only weighs 154#. The mounts are also a weak point with the heavy touring bike. You could turn turtle in a hard left downhill turn with drastic results.
A good bike to sidecar weight ratio balance for a nice stable outfit is around 2/3rds bike weight to 1/3rd sidecar weight.
My recommendation is to sell the sidecar and mount another larger sidecar that will support your GL properly and safely under all normal driving conditions.
This is not that sidecar.

Lonnie

Please note that Hack'n (Lonnie Cook/ Northwest Sidecars) has probably mounted as many or more Velorex sidecars as any one person on this continent.....good advise.