Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Deer Whistles.....

PreviousPage 2 of 2

That is an interesting statistics and puts the deer whistle "problem" into a new light for me.... James, did you consult Winston Churchill on this?
Yesterday I got confirmed the "out of state driver problem"....foolish tourist from "M"-Munich turning 180 degree right on main street in a bend on cobble stone pavement... no biker nor street crossing duck got injured luckily....

As result of invading species in our area Nandú from Argentina have been put on the hunting list for to get them under control....supposedly population lowered last year from over 300 to 100 animals in our county right on the former iron fence border. (met this year only one. Last year they were uncountable and appeared frequently on the narrow roads between the hedges.)
Other areas other trouble causes.
Ride safe.
Sven

I live and ride in the mountains of Idaho. The deer are pretty wary and not so often a problem. The elk however think they own the place and rider beware. The whistles do work with out a doubt. During the winter the elk have a hard time foraging in the snow. so Fish and Game set up a feeding station not to far from the highway. While riding in rush hour traffic, I saw 4 cow elk grazing head down about 200 yards ahead. The traffic noise didn't seem to bother them. At about 100 yards one cow raised her head and looked in my direction. By the time I got to 50 yards, all four cows were looking in my direction. As I got closer still, they all turned and walked away from the highway. Yes the whistles work, but you still can't predict an animals behavior.

Mark, it looks like you know how to get on the internet even in Idaho. USCA is looking for someone like you to run for a board spot in the North West. Please call me. dave vp USCA (937) 554-1817 or email vp@sidecar.com. or message me here Dave

Mark, if I might take the opportunity to discuss your statement " Yes the whistles work" for just a few lines. If you Google the subject you will find studies done by the University of Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State Police, Georgia Highway Patrol and many others too numerous to mention have shown just exactly the opposite. The subject of the electronic signals is still up in the air. I did some research on this subject for an RV website that I frequent (I also thought that the whistles worked) and the internet abounds with information from many, many studies showing otherwise. I only took this opportunity to disagree with you because I don't want other bikers to have any sense of security, no matter how slight, assuming that the whistles help at all.
Jim

One of these days I passed by a road with the blue reflectors at night. with such a pixel resolution, not much to see. sorry.

Attached files

got one on my truck,see just as many deer with whistles.

PreviousPage 2 of 2