Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Darkside for Electra-Gide with Trans-Moto

Evening from a cold No. Michigan,

Looking at the possibility of an Austone for the drive tire for my 2005 HD Electra-Glide with a Trans-Moto hack. First tire was a Dunlop Elite and ran 6000 mi before cords showed. This year a Shinko 777 went a miserable 2200 miles before blowing out.

Now, the Austone tire is recommended for a 5-5 1/2 wide rim. The rim for the bike (running with a MU-85 16) measures at 3.
Seems to me that this could cause a problem with proper tire/rim mating. This especially with the added lateral and diagonal tire forces generated with a sidecar rig.

I would appreciate hearing from another hack rider with road experience with the Electra-Glide and a Darkside Tire particularly the Austone.

Thanks for reading,
Ed

I do have Austone tire on 3 1/2" GL1500 Goldwing wheel. No problem. Do not have experience with the Electra-Glide. Sorry. Most likely you will have problem to fit tire in swing arm. Austone tire wider then OEM tire and taller.

Do you have spoke or solid wheel?

As far as I know there are no longer any automotive tires that will fit your rim that are worth running. Yes there are some antique car tires that will but they are not worth the effort. If you are only getting 2200 miles out of your rear tire then you either have not had it inflated properly, the tire you are running is not rated for as heavy of a load as you have or more likely your alignment is off. How does your sidecar tire look?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

TY Vklad and Jaydmc.
Vlad, I appreciate your report on using the Austone. I also appreciate your input on tire dimension differences.

Jay, You are the guru for sure. I sure wish you still had those tires from years ago, LOL. The previous tire (Dunlop Elite) gave me 6000 miles. The Shinko 777 (a premium tire according to Shinko) only lasted 2200 with identical geometry. Pressures (checked frequently for both tires) is 38# cold. Virtually no wear on the hack tire, and no pull Lt. or Rt. on flat crown roads. I believe the set-up is correct. 8 degrees lean out, 3/4 in. toe-in.

I also investigated the Dunlop Police Tire and as many others have discovered, it is not available to the civilian population.
MC tire manufacturers are missing out on a viable market producing drive tires for sidecar rigs. Oh well.

I have been looking into the Michelin Commander II. It is said to have a stiffer side wall and a harder tread compound and longer tread life.

However, I am still curious about the many Darksiders using tires designed for a wider rim using them on narrower MC rims.

TY again,
Ed

At the rate you are using up those $125+ motorcycle tires you would be money ahead in the long run to convert to a 15" auto rim.

i ran a 15" auto rim for a couple of years..

no appreciable improvement, wore out the same.. put a stock tire back on and sold the wheel

timo482 - 11/30/2017 9:29 PM

i ran a 15" auto rim for a couple of years..

no appreciable improvement, wore out the same.. put a stock tire back on and sold the wheel

What did you use it on? You saying you did not get more miles on auto tire?

harley ultra electra glide with harley sidecar

and no in the end same milage - plus the hassle

went back to stock tire

to

You mentioned 8 degree lean out. My manual calls for 2 degree lean out.

should be 2.. most folks can't measure 2.. that in itself is a problem.