USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Dabbling with the idea of a sidecar

Good evening. I have been riding for a few years and my wife has no interest in riding on the back. The other night we saw a sidecar and she said that she would love to ride in one. Hmmm... My only ride is a 1999 Triumph Trophy 1200. What should I be looking for? What's required to set it up and balance it, and am I permanently attached at that point? Thanks for your help! Oh, and location, Washington DC area but willing to travel

it's not permanent, but it's a nuisance to take off and put on. not hard. (assuming you're a decent shade tree mechanic) it depends on the mounts that would have to be put on your bike. many people just go the route of making it a permanent change because there are things to be done that make it easier to drive. for example, doing a leading link front end makes the bike more difficult to ride without the car. but it's a wonderful addition. You are likely better off buying a second bike that already has a sidecar attached. for one it's much cheaper to buy used than do (or pay for it) yourself. you can also buy a rig that will suit the specific needs of you. for example, a smaller rig is easier for around town and works just fine. a bigger rig is great for travelling.

I agree with Dave. Ii installed a used hack on my bike and it was a PITA. Did learn a bit though. If you buy a turnkey rig proceed with caution and preferably with advice from a knowledgable person. Because a bike has a car attached does not mean it was done well, correctly or safely. Also, there is a learning curve in driving a sidecar rig. It's nothing like riding on 2 wheels. Read and learn. Post questions in the General or Technical sub forums. USCA has a Facebook page as well.

If you are adding a sidecar to your bike make sure you use proper bike specific NOT universal mounts. Also stay away from the sidecars price around $2000 new that "Fit" your bike. The company selling these keeps changing the names it does business under. There are posts on this site under Safer Wholesale, RK sidecars and a few other names.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

If you are adding a sidecar to your bike make sure you use proper bike specific NOT universal mounts. Also stay away from the sidecars price around $2000 new that "Fit" your bike. The company selling these keeps changing the names it does business under. There are posts on this site under Safer Wholesale, RK sidecars and a few other names.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793