Notifications
Clear all

Cutting a strut okay?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@valkrider)
Topic starter

Are the internal threads of a typical 12 inch  commercially made strut cut completely through its complete length?  I’d like to reduce the 12 inch front upper one on my rig to 7 or 8 inches.  Internal insertion depth of the male portion is my concern. Don’t want to ruin it out of ignorance.

Posted : January 7, 2021 8:29 am
(@al-olme2)

Mike,

Generally, the threads DO NOT continue all the way through the strut tube.  If you want to shorten it the common procedure is to cut the length you want to lose from the middle of the tube, insert a smaller tube that fits the internal diameter of the strut as reinforcement and re-weld.

If the strut has a fixed end, like a clevis, it may be that it can be carefully cut and removed.  Many such ends have a "plug" that extends into the strut tube.

The BEST solution is to simply buy a strut of the proper length.  Try Freedom Sidecars or DMC.  Struts are really not very expensive, maybe less that the bill for shortening one.

Posted : January 7, 2021 9:04 am
(@valkrider)
Topic starter

Thank you Al. Exactly what I was looking for. No doubt taking it a real welder would likely be more cost.  One of my regrets was not learning to weld when I was younger.  I wanted to reduce the rigs width mainly to make it a bit more trailer accessible.  We enjoy distant touring but have found getting to any particular part of the country from our area time consuming, and getting back home a real slog. Of course trailering presents its own logistical issues.  Thanks again

Posted : January 7, 2021 10:52 am
(@al-olme2)

A lot of folks look down on trailering but we think it's the best plan.  We can get to where we want to ride quicker and not be worn out when we arrive.  We trailered to St. Johns, took the ferry to Nova Scotia and spent a week riding.  It was glorious.  

Posted : January 7, 2021 4:54 pm
(@valkrider)
Topic starter

That sure sounds better and more relaxing for sure.  This past October we had wound our way on mostly 2 lane highways from Arkansas to South Dakota to see the Badlands (called that for a reason lol) and Black Hills. Then Rushmore, devils tower, little big horn battlefield and Yellowstone.  By then I was so tired (12 days I think) we opted to continue 850 miles on to my daughter in Oregon rather than the 1400 miles back home.  Left the hack there, flew home and planned to return in the spring to head south through a few parks in California, then almost directly home since we had just toured that area the year before. COVID stopped those plans and I finally had the rig shipped back.  I could only think if I could have avoided Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska by trailering how much time and energy I could have saved.  My ideal situation would be rent both a trailer and vehicle with a hitch (don’t know if anyone does that), go to first destination, drop it off, tour to where or as long as wanted, rent same from final point (round trip or not) for home. Maybe someday.

evidently not. No company will rent a vehicle with a hitch it seems. Uhaul has a pickup they will rent for a reasonable daily charge but then 60 cents a mile.  So nope.

Posted : January 8, 2021 10:55 am
 Sal
(@sal)

+2 on how Al explained the cutting and welding of the tube.

Another option would be to post a pic of said strut and someone here may have one the size you're looking for.

Posted : January 8, 2021 7:15 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Valkrider, the last time I spoke with Kent at Texas Sidecar Company, he had struts of various sizes on hand.

Give him a call  (870) 313-1692.

Posted : January 9, 2021 12:24 am