Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

CSC FIII on the GL1800

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Man does time fly 

anyway my idea for the rear frame was OK but not ideal so I scrapped it and started on a new rear frame. the first was made out of the wrong size tubing and was just going to be a guide anyway. so I ran across some scrap that turned out to be the perfect size and got started. first I had to cut the legs off then weld 2 of them together, next up was to get them bent into the right shape, once I got that where I wanted it I made and welded the post on. took a bit of measuring test fitting and then finally got them where they needed to be a welded in place. this is where I am so far. next step is to build the lower part that hooks onto the bracket to hold it in place. I have to fabricate that too. 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon, FlyinMonkeys and Brstr have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeysBrstr
USCA # 8913

So I noticed a weird banging noise the other day, got home and found the bolt to the lift cylinder had come out, I replaced it and all seemed good again. Well on my way to work this morning I notice this faint clanking noise again, but this time much quieter, I get to work and standing behind the rig it just didn't look right, the bike appeared to be leaning toward the car and the tire on the car appeared to be leaning, So get out a square to see if was just my imagination and when I slid under the back to find a good spot to check it I found this,  So I will have to nurse it home and remove that part of the sub-frame so I can repair it. I'm a good welder and can fabricate but any thoughts on the best way to repair this are welcome. It appears to have broke right at the end of the inserted threads for the yoke. Also any thoughts as to why it would have broke there. 

Uploaded files:
CCjon, FlyingMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeyssheath
USCA # 8913

Probably stating the obvious but if you insert a smaller tube and sleeve it when you do the repair that would add strength.

CCjon, AceinSav and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonAceinSavsmitty901kevinFlyingMonkeyssheathBrstr

Ace, that is very similar to the break my sidecar frame had in Alaska, after hitting a few potholes a little too fast. The welder in Fairbanks leveled that strut, then cut a 6" piece of pipe lengthwise. He laid one half on top covering the break, and welded it in place.  The other half piece he welded to the bottom. His $125 repair was strong enough to let me ride the 4000 miles back home to Texas.  

Back home, the professional welder said the Alaska patch was strong and not to mess with it.  We removed the tub and found two more cracks in the sidecar frame.

Lesson learned: If you have one frame crack, carefully check for others

CCjon

AceinSav, kevin and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
AceinSavkevinFlyingMonkeyssheathBrstr

You can bet I'll be inspecting it very carefully once I get it home and start taking it apart to repair it. 

CCjon, FlyingMonkeys and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeyssheathBrstr
USCA # 8913

got the tube repaired, I would like to take credit for this repair but after asking one of our fabricators his thoughts on the best option to fix it he just kind of took over and then it was done

now to get it reinstalled and finish inspecting the rest of the frame and front part of subframe

Uploaded files:
CCjon, FlyingMonkeys and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeyssheathBrstr
USCA # 8913

Good job, if it breaks again it will not be at that spot. You were going to look, did you find any other cracks?

FlyingMonkeys, sheath and Brstr have reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeyssheathBrstr

I will be inspecting it this weekend, I have to pull the sidecar wheel and check the brakes, I think I need to replace them as they started squealing 

this way I can get in there and get a good look at it 

FlyingMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeyssheath
USCA # 8913

Enjoyed reading this entire post.  Excellent job, well done.  Hope to see it in person sometime.  

FlyingMonkeyssheath

Enjoyed reading this entire post.  Excellent job, well done.  Hope to see it in person sometime. 

Thanks, Are you going to be able to make it to the Rally this year 

No more cracks found. I did however have to remove the hinging system I fabricated for the lift cylinder and cut the excess of one of the bolts at the top on one side as it was digging into the side of the fender well. also had to tighten all the bolts that work as pivot pins, also found I have a leak, couldn't tell if it was the shock or the cylinder so I cleaned it up good and will keep watching it till I figure it out. I have to replace the brakes VERY soon so I will get those ordered up 

FlyingMonkeyssheath
USCA # 8913
PreviousPage 3 of 3