Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

CSC FIII on the GL1800

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with the results. it's been a good 5 years or more since I have painted anything so I was pretty nervous to take on the job. I wanted to farm it out but not one paint shop in our area would touch it. I wanted to use PPG but they wanted 400 per QT. I went with Color rite and I'm glad I did, they have the paint per the paint code and the match is fantastic. 

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon
USCA # 8913

still chipping away at it. I got the new seal installed around the main hatch, got the carpet glued back in place. here is another shot

I'll get more recent pics added soon as I have more done since this one was taken. I am almost done with the frame, added the extension so it will work with the Goldwing and I'm almost done building my tilt trim bracket. I have to admit I sure wish I could have found one to buy, been a little trial and error with fabricating it myself. 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon
USCA # 8913

That is looking sharp. Hopefully we see it in person next summer at the rally?

so I have finished the build of the bracket/mount for the tilt trim and adding the extension to the frame, I wired up a couple relays and hooked it up to do a test run and I am happy to report everything works perfect. so now I can take it back home and paint the new extension to the frame and all the brackets for the trim motor

Now I need to get off my tail and start installing the subframe on the bike so I can marry these two 

USCA # 8913

I took advantage of having a few days off and got the bike subframe mounted, that was fun. I started working on getting things ready to start connecting the car to the bike and realized I had left a couple very critical parts at work so had to stop on that. I went back to getting the stuff on the car done. I managed to get the chrome trim installed and got the dash covered. I'm installing marine grade vinyl on the dash rather than just leaving it painted. I installed the new seal for the trunk. 

Uploaded files:
CCjon
USCA # 8913

managed to get a little more time to start attaching the SC frame to the bike, sort of hit a snag or 2 so I need to ask those with far more knowledge than me to chime in here and let me know if this looks OK

my main issue is the front mounts, as you can see in the pic my connecting arm just barely reaches, it is fully inserted and flush with the back of the arm on the frame itself but as you can see it is stretched out to it's limit, the rear one is all the way in. the lead on the car tire is pretty close so I don't think I can go forward much if at all. also I had to use the front extended arm for the lower mount, I figured that one needed to be used for the front top mount. I'm thinking that won't be an issue though. I guess what I'm asking is does the front lower look like it would be OK if that is how I have to leave it and if not,,, any ideas 

Uploaded files:
CCjon
USCA # 8913

As long as you have full contact in the pinch clamps, having tubing sticking out the other end does nothing for you.

As you noted in your phone call the angles of the hiem joints are off. Not a safety issue at all. The reason we like to have the hiem joints level with the ground is when you align the sidecar you can get it close with the slip joints then fine tune by threading the hiem joints in or out. With the joints not level as you thread in and out you also raise or lower the sidecar a bit.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
Monday - Thursday 6-4:30 GMT-8
15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD
Buckley WA 98321
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
https://www.facebook.com/dmcsidecars
866-638-1793

CCjon
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Starting to look good, but I have to say the front mount being extended all the way out wouldn't fly here. 

well I got a good bit done over the holidays, not worth new pictures yet but getting SO close now. I got it all dialed in and aligned, figure I'll ride it around the neighborhood and recheck it before I feel it's ready to put the car on. got 95 % of the wiring done on the bike for the connection to the car. hit one snag with the brakes, I went to connect the new brake line from the bike to the line from the car and they won't fit each other. the male end on the car is too big to go into the female coupler on the new line. got the new tire mounted on the car 

SwampFox and CCjon have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCCjon
USCA # 8913

got to do a little more this weekend, I am so close now. I got the brake line squared away bled it out. might have to bleed it a little more but won't really know till I ride it. I did manage to get the car on the frame and hook up the main harness. I found I hooked the spoiler brake light up the taillights so I have to change that. have to get the tilt trim hooked up and then recheck all my adjustments. once the car was on it looked high in the nose but according to the level on the frame it should have been a little nose down so I need to look into that. But the car is on and looks good. I'll get some pictures soon 

CCjon
USCA # 8913

Maybe a couple of those Ural snowmen in the back would level it out? They would soften the monkey's ride. 

Ladies and Gentlemen 

It is my Pleasure to introduce to you, after long ado My Main Squeeze and Lil on the side 

Uploaded files:
SwampFox, MGV8 and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxMGV8SzkudlarekFlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

Looks good Ace! (and folks will certainly be able to see it on the road)

A

Nice Ace

Dave

Ace, that really is sweet looking rig. The paint match looks perfect in the photos. Am looking forward to seeing it in person.

How many miles on the Wing?  Are you making any special accommodations in the sidecar for your lovely partner?

Hope you guys are going to make the rally in Hotchkiss in July.

Jan

Sure looks good. Enjoy it.

Sweet rig👍‼️

so I have got around to fabricating the rear frame bracket for my top. I have a good start on it. As it turns out the frame for the vinyl top is now made of unobtainium  so finding one has proven to be impossible. the car came with the vinyl top but no frame. I did luck up and find the front 3 pieces at FL. Sidecars and now those are no longer available anywhere. I have a friend with an F3 and he took pictures and got measurements of the rear section for me. I used that and  I began the task of bending the tube to make the part. I had an old metal frame chair that I cut up to get the tube from, it's really too big but was perfect for that first attempt. I have the bow part with the pins done and put in place temp. so I can get the measurements  for the lower part, one I get that sorted out and welded onto the bracket I have to build the 2 plates that mount on the cars frame that the top bow fits into. this has been a rather daunting task with a ton of test fitting being needed to get the bends right and get the pins in the right spot so the frame fits together smoothly 

I'll get a couple pictures added later 

once I get this first one done and am happy with the fitment I will get the proper size tubing and use this one as a guide to build a new one that will be the final part ,,,, Yeah 

CCjon
USCA # 8913

Progress is good. Looking forward to seeing photos as you continue to build out.

well finally got around to working on the top frame again. I came up with a different idea than the factory design to keep the tension for the top I am trying out to see how it does.  so far it seems to work well and is easy to set up. time will tell if I will keep it or go more with the factory design

also decided to adjust the toe IN a little more, seems to be pulling right just a touch more than I like 

CCjon
USCA # 8913
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next