Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

CSC FIII on the GL1800

Page 1 of 3Next

so now that I have sold the 1500 rig and the Yamaha with the trike kit I can finally concentrate on the 1800

I recently picked up a CSC Friendship III to install on my 1800. I have my sub frame ordered so now it's time to get everything ready for the build. this weekend I took everything apart on the F3 and have the frame here at work stripping it down for fresh paint. it spent a lot of time in Fl. so it was a little rough, nothing a good cleaning and fresh paint can't fix here are a couple shots of the frame when I removed it. 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon
USCA # 8913

here is a shot of the car and the bike it's going to be mounted on 

Uploaded files:
CCjon, smitty901 and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
CCjonsmitty901Thane Lewis
USCA # 8913

I guess that frame is rough. That is one reason why I hate power coating. When its not done right the moisture gets trap under the coating it really corrodes the metal. I'am sure it will look good when its done.

CCjon

Good luck with the build. A winter project?

I hope it doesn't drag out that long, but you never know 

USCA # 8913

Be watching to see how it comes out.

I got the main frame cleaned and got it primed today.  hopefully I can get it painted tomorrow. I took the connecting arms over to our sand blasting room to let them clean them up, I was going to let them do the frame but it wouldn't fit in the cabinet so I had to do it the old fashioned way. then I took all the bolts and joints and hand cleaned them on a bench wire wheel.

Uploaded files:
1bmwmc, CCjon and John Holbrook have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcCCjonJohn Holbrook
USCA # 8913

That cleaned up nicely. No deep pits or cracks?

nothing worth worrying about, couple places were pitted, but it did clean up nice 

SwampFox has reacted to this post.
SwampFox
USCA # 8913

well after catching the crud and the Wife and I fighting our way through it I am finally feeling better. Monica is still feeling a bit under but she is doing much better. I managed to get the frame and all mounting hardware painted, I shot the last coat on them this morning and they are hanging in the garage curing. I took the fender, trunk lid and main body lid out and sanded them down today. I still have to go back in and do a good bit of work by hand on the top with all the nooks and crannies. no pictures right now but I will get some later. 

USCA # 8913

got a little more done, I have about 3/4 of the body sanded down now. once I get it all I can make the fiberglass repairs needed. I have a few holes to fill where the PO had added some stuff I don't want to put back on. the fender has 2 small  cracks where at some point in it's life it must have hit something just hard enough to crack it. I ordered a rear trunk spoiler for a 1800 wing to mount on it so it will have matching spoilers. should have that by next week. I am looking for that perfect hood scoop now to use for air induction to the cockpit. I have a front lower lip spoiler I am thinking about putting on it, just have to decide if I like the look or not. I'll post pictures later and ask for opinions too. 

CCjon
USCA # 8913

the new trunk spoiler came in yesterday and I knew it would fit but had no idea just how perfect a fit it would be. it looks like it was made for the trunk. the feet sit right on the body line just like it does on the 1800. 

CCjon
USCA # 8913

well it looks like the subframe is on it's way. got the hood scoop ordered. getting excited about the build again now that most of the parts are on the way to put it together. still can't decide if I want 4.5 or 6 deg. tree 

CCjon
USCA # 8913

the subframe arrived,, everything looks great. Big thanks to Jay at DMC for that 

CCjon
USCA # 8913

How about some photos so we can see where you are in the process?

hope to get back on it this weekend and finish sanding the sidecar down, I want to get it painted before I start installing the frame.  

I'll get some pictures while I have everything out of the garage 

SwampFox has reacted to this post.
SwampFox
USCA # 8913

I did get to put a little time in the sidecar this weekend, I managed to get the rest of the body sanded down, well except for the bottom section, still debating on whether I want to take it down smooth or leave it like it is. I taped the hood scoop and rear spoiler on just to give an idea of where I'm going, also the front air dam is just being held up by a jack, it would be more forward and will be blended into the body If I decide to use it. it's weird in the picture the hood scoop looks huge and out of place but in person it looks fine. 

Uploaded files:
CCjon
USCA # 8913

made a little more progress this weekend, I got all the glass work completed and sanded up to 22o wet sand of everything. I got he holes drilled for the spoiler to mount on the trunk lid. I got the hole cut and the valve installed to allow fresh air into the cab, I added a small collar to prevent water from being able to get into the cab if riding in the rain with the vent open 

Uploaded files:
CCjon
USCA # 8913

1 more step closer, managed to get 2 full days working on the sidecar this weekend. got it primed and the basecoat painted Saturday

was able to get all the clear coat sprayed Sunday. 

Uploaded files:
Szkudlarek and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
SzkudlarekFlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

Sure looks good, who's paint did you use.

Page 1 of 3Next