Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Cosy cars

Anybody have any input on replacing stock Cosy wheel and axle ?
I'm attaching a Rocket to a 1981 Kawasaki KZ 1100 and don't like the idea of the original axle and plastic bushing concept.

The Cozy sidecar is not intended for a bike as large as yours, if you have a bushing rather then a wheel bearing chances are you have a sidecar that was intended for a scooter not a large bike. Safety must come first! This does not sound like a safe thing to be doing.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

In the past I installed a few Kozy (more on this in a moment) sidecars on Royal 'Enfield Motorcycles. At that time those I worked on had a Nylon or Delrin bushing instead of a wheel bearing. Those sidecars were intended for the RE and had bike specific mounts.

The Royal Enfield had a 20 HP single cylinder pushrod engine capable of running the bike 55 to 60 mph without the sidecar. The bike was much lighter than the Kawasaki you have. As you suspect the bushing should not be trusted at higher speeds and on a much heavier bike. I also suspect that the frame of the sidecar was engineered for the lighter duty ... if it was engineered at all.

That said. There have been some changes in the Kozy / Cozy as some corporate and manufacturing changes have occurred. Thus the change in the spelling of the name. What those changes might be I do not know.

Proceed with caution.
jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

Thank y'all for the responses. FYI: I'm going to be using a 9 spoke alloy Harley FL ( front ) 300 X 16 wheel, for which I've had a new axle machined. Going to run a 100/90 Brigestone Battlax tire. Also have had about 45 lbs. of plate steel welded to the frame for ballast.
Suggestions / comments ?