Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Considering Ural - Seeking Advice

Greetings!

I am new to this site, have been very interested in sidecar rigs for several years and thought this forum would be a good place to get some advice. I am 56, live in NW Ohio and can't stop thinking getting a hack. I have about 200K miles worth of riding on traditional motorcycles and am aware that driving a hack is a completely different world. A friend of mine is willing to give me some guidance and let me try his, which I plan to do very soon.

Assuming I do like it, I am considering purchasing a 2012 Ural that I recently found on Craigslist. The bike has about 6K miles, is listed at a good price, and was owned by a mechanic who seemed to have meticulously cared for it. Based on what I've read, it seems though that Urals require more maintenance than modern bikes and the quality / reliability may be suspect. I am comfortable with basic maintenance, but am not a mechanic by any means and would be concerned about more serious breakdowns. I'd plan to take trips of less than 1000 miles total, but would worry about the possibility of the bike breaking down, particularly since I'd like to travel with one of my dogs or wife.

I also thought about holding out and finding a more current model Triumph with a sidecar, but those seem to be very hard to come by.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

Welcome, you will find everyone here was in the same situation as you when they acquired their first rig.

Having had Urals and several other brands of sidecars, the Ural is a great starter rig to get your feet wet, to see if you like sidecar driving. Yes, they require more ongoing service and maintenance than newer designs. Then if you find you don't like sidecaring, you can sell it for about what you paid for it. Unlike motorcycles, Urals have a resale demand in the winter too. Playing in the snow and ice on a Ural is a blast.

Definitely test ride your friends rig if he will let you. If you get a rig, find a sidecar class. You will have to unlearn some of your two wheel riding habits and acquire new skills. Not difficult, just different.

If you like the Triumph brand there is an interesting green and white rig on the Dallas CL.

If you can get over to Corning, NY the last weekend of this month, you will see, meet and can talk to owners of every imaginable type sidecar rig there is. Pick their brains, find out the pluses and minuses of the various types of rigs. Then make your own decision.

Good luck

CCjon

A Texan Buckeye

Hi Mark, yes Urals require more maintenance that most modern bikes, the 2012 will still have 2 carbs to adjust, and valves that need adjustment, and splines that need to be lubed, spooked wheels that need to be trued. It is all pretty basic stuff, and even fun to do. There is also a very good Ural dealer in Ohio, Hiendl, I don't know how far they are from you, if close enough give them a visit, or check their web site, I think I heard they are having a open house next weekend. Also check the Soviet Steeds web site for lots of info, they even have how to videos on maintenance and repair. Driving a Ural rig is different from any other bike or sidecar rig, slower, more relaxed and laid back, if you are the right rider for a Ural and enjoy back roads at less then 60 MPH, maybe some off road, or gravel roads, if you like riding something that most folks have never heard of, and getting lots of attention and questions about what year is your old motorcycle, they can be more fun then most other bikes. If you like high speed, long distance touring, then they are not for you. Good luck with it, they are lots of smiles if they fit how you want to ride.

does your friend have a ural? I'm like you that I love the design and lure of a ural. I decided to go a different direction due to the concerns of maintenance. not that I could not do it, but didn't want to spend much of my time doing the maintenance work. I have several bikes and already spend quite a bit of time doing maintenance. I was concerned the added needs would be beyond what I wanted to get into. I can't say to not go that direction though, because at the end of the day, they are pretty fun. the only other advice I'd give you is to look for a rig that is already set up, and preferably one professionally set up.

either way, you're taking a good first step to try one out. they are not for everyone, but for me....i love it!

good luck!

Thanks all!

CCjon,
- I have arranged for some guidance and test ride of my friend's Yamaha sidecar rig. Will take it from there.
- And its good to know that there is still a buyer's market for Ural bikes even in the off season.
- If I can find a sidecar class in my area of NW Ohio, I'll absolutely jump at the chance!
- Checked out the Triumph hack in the Dallas area. Guess I should have added that I am more into a vintage look, if not vintage technology.
- I am seriously considering the Corning rally. Love the area and I'm sure I'd be captivated by the whole event!

Lloyd,
- I've been to Heindl Engineering in Ohio. Seems like a great place and is about 160 miles from me. I've learned of another service shop north of Ann Arbor,
MI (Crawford Sales) that's about 86 mile from me, so its encouraging to know that if I got the rig and wanted to wimp out on some of the service, I could! : )
- And your points about the pace of life with a Ural hits home with me. I started out motorcycling as an interstate / get there fast kind of rider, but the idea of a moving at slow pace and meeting inquisitive people is extremely appealing to me!

ncdave,
- no, my friend doesn't have a Ural. He has a pre-2000 Yamaha with sidecar. I'm sure it will be different than the Ural, but at least I'll get to physically experience the sidecar feel.
- I don't want to spend a lot of time doing maintenance work on a Ural. If I get it and love it, I may part with my Triumph dual sport so I can spend more time with the Ural. I'd love to learn more about motorcycle maintenance and I get the impression that I'd be able to do more work on a Ural than my two current modern Euro motorcycles.

I bought a 2013 Ural this April w/ 7000km on the odometer. I've put another 1000 km on it since with no problems. I bought for exactly the same reasons you are looking for a hack. To learn, to see if i like it, to have some fun and do something new. It's been a blast. You can go here to see some of my pics -
http://www.simpsontaxidermy.com/MotorcycleRidesRusticRoads.html

I got the Ural in part because the hold their resale value. It is a basic machine - anti-hightech as it were. I've ridden mine at 60-65mph for long stretches, all kinds of pavement, sand & gravel roads. I've ridden it for 300+ mile days, 9 hrs.+ in the saddle w/ the dog. Check out the Soviet Steeds website and Facebook page - lots of info there, too.

Good luck!

Attached files

Hey there redsimp,

Cool rig and pictures on your blog! Looks like you're having a great time with your riding companion. I haven't decided on anything yet. Planning to attend the USCA Rally this week to talk with some people and get more ideas about sidecars. Who knows, maybe there will even be something for sale that will catch my eye! ; ) Keep on riding!

Well, I will say Ural riders are exremely enthusiastic on the road....I was on my rig the other day, a Ural coming the other way, both about fell out trying to wave at me......I got a good chuckle......and of course waved back.....fun stuff..
Good luck with your search..,I'd have a late model Ural if I had room......and may some day.....