Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Considering a SidecarBike Again

I belonged to this forum a while back. I previously has a Honda Shadow 1100 with a Velorex 562E. Sold it because the kids just didn't have the interest. Now, I'm missing it myself! Riding it solo was a lot of fun. I now own a 2010 Harley Ultra Limited and a 1997 Harley Softail Custom. I'm considering a Harley sidecar for the Limited and was wondering what a fair deal would be for a late 90's HD TLE sidecar? Thanks.
Dave

Keep in mind the cost of mounts when buying a Harley sidecar as Harley is the only company that offers these and they are often not in stock. Mounts can add $1000 to the cost so make sure that if you buy a Harley sidecar that it comes with mounts for your bike. The 2010 frame is wider in the back so the mounts have to be from a 2009 or newer. One nice thing about the 2010 and up you can run an automotive tire on the rear of the bikes stock wheel.
Before you buy a Harley sidecar, check out other sidecars. Every other sidecar company for the most part added suspension to their sidecars by WW2. Harley never did! While yes the sidecars body is on springs (with out shocks) the wheel is not! They are also a hard sidecar to get in and out of and the trunk does not open from the out side.
If you go with a Non Harley sidecar then make sure that it is strong enough for your bike, Another Velorex would not be a good option for your current bike, they are to light duty.
Any of the sidecars we make or most of the sidecar made by other USA companies will be a better value then the Harley sidecar and also have proper suspension. If you do go with a non Harley sidecar make sure that it comes with bike specific mounts not "Universal" The mounts will need to fit 2009 and up. Sidecars we make that are popular for your bike are the M72C, the wider M72CX and the Expedition which can be mounted on the M72CX frame. These sidecars have full suspension, the bodies are mounted on rubber vibration isolators, they are very easy to get in and out of and have trunks that open from the out side. Other things we offer for your bike as do other companies include real engine driven reverse and triple tree's to lower the steering effort.
Of course we can also do your softtail.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay,
Thank you for your thoughtful response and input. This is great information. I'll be thinking about this some more. Thank you again!
Dave