Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Connecting sidecar to bike

I don't own a dmc expedition for my Yamaha Super Tenere yet, but we're saving and planning. Once the sidecar and bike are connected and trimmed properly can I connect and disconnect without messing up the state of trim? Or do you have to do it every time?

Thanks Frederic 

Can you remove the sidecar without changing the length of the mounting hardware?  If not, I'd be reluctant to try it without going through the alignment process each time you remount it.  The mounting hardware affects the toe-in and lean-out too.  You'll have lights and perhaps electric outlets in the sidecar so you'll have to have to install a disconnect plug of some kind, and if you have an auxiliary gas tank in or on the sidecar you'll need to connect and disconnect it too.

My wife and I ride together with the sidecar rig.  I have a Gold Wing 2-wheeler but haven't started it in 8 years.  I just like the sidecar rig.  That isn't saying you have to be like me, but I think if you like the rig you'll decide to leave the tub attached to the bike.  If you can't do without a 2-wheeler you may eventually get another bike and leave the sidecar on one of them.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about electrical or other things other than the mounting hardware. I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer that I use to transport bikes when I don't want to drive to a location or want to take more than one. I'm learning that for a sidecar rig, it's probably to small. Was thinking I might be able to separate the two so it would fit. But I think it's more messing around than I want.

Thanks again. 

As long as you just remove the two 5/8 inch bolts for the lower mounts and the two 12mm bolts that connect the struts to the upper mounts and do not move any of the adjusters, then yes the sidecar comes right on and off. The wiring plugs to the side of the body so you can remove it. And the brake is on its own master so remove the master from the bike with out opening up the brake line and it will go right back on with out the need to blead the brake or align the sidecar. Under 10 minutes with practace.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

That's great! 

Thanks Jay. 

Jay, I just want to say that when I got my rig home from DMC Sidecars and followed your instructions I had my rig back together.  It took me more than 10 minutes, but it was my first time.  I have ridden my rig about 300 miles since, freeway, paved state roads, gravel county roads and even one primitive road.  You built me an Expedition for my 2006 HD Road King (FLHRC) and it is just great.  I will get a photo or two later and post them elsewhere on this site.

Gary Shearer

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

Hi Gary, I'm looking forward to crossing paths next year somewhere and checking it out in person. Hoping things will be a whole lot closer to what normal used to be!!