Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Coast to Coast US 50 on three Urals

Hello fellow sidecar pilots,

After nine months of planning, plotting and waiting, three URAL riders are embarking on an adventure across the heartland. Starting on June 15th, we are going to ride our rigs from the Atlantic beach in Ocean City, MD to the Pacific coast in California. That's roughly 3000 miles through middle America of camping, photographing, writing and eating our way west. What can go wrong with that? Then, we have to ride back home, two to Virginia and one to Texas.

Well, if you want to find out what really happens on a URAL road trip, check out my blog: http://ccjon.blogspot.com Will try to post daily updates, wifi permitting. Have not figured out how to post photos here from my iPad, so will post only notices of blog updates here.

We welcome anyone to join us for a day or three of riding along the route. The blog will have our weekly projected routes and stops, but you know what happens to planning once the ride starts.... Come along for the adventure.

Ride safe ya'll

CCjon and Da'mit, my faithful Ural Mule

Sounds like a fantastic trip. The link doesn't work at present, I'll check back.
If (when?) you make it out to the Coast I'll buy you all a beer or two!
How long are you allowing yourselfs to wander? Take your time, make the most of it!

Don in Nipomo
...where Hwys 1, 101 and 166 collide

Hmmm... the link address is correct. Is there a secret to posting a link here? You might have to copy and paste it to the search bar on top. Never mind, fixed it.
Don, Thanks for both the offer of cold ones and the heads up. We're planning on two to three weeks crossing the country. From Sacramento, staying off the interstates, we'll take secondary roads to Bodega Bay on the coast. Plan to visit TriQuest in Santa Clara while there.

CCjon

It works now.

Sounds great and the link works now for me also. The lonliest road in America, great choice.
Keep us posted and I'll keep track of your progress. I'm 90 miles south of the slowest curves in Big Sur.
Camping? Moteling? A combination of both?
I've got a few years 'til retirement but have a few cross country trips planned.

Don in Nipomo

Passing through Gunnison?

D.Bachtel - 6/7/2014 4:33 PM

Camping? Moteling? A combination of both?

Don in Nipomo

Don, combination of both, hopefully more camping than moteling. But when you split the cost three ways, not so bad.

Let's try to get together in CA.

Jon

Beemerchef - 6/7/2014 8:01 PM

Passing through Gunnison?

Absolutely yes! Planning on meeting several Colorado Ural riders in Pueblo West at the Ural dealer, then ride thru Gunnison the next day. Would love to meet up with you. The blog will show our progress crossing state by state. Since we have no deadline to meet, weather and mechanics will dictate our daily ride schedule.

By now, am in Virginia, dodging the thunderstorms on my way to Ocean City. So far have ridden the Natchez Trace, the Tail of the Dragon and the highest section of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plus had a potential trip stopping issue with Da'mit.
It's all posted on the blog, with photos.

Tonight we are in Grafton, WV, Washington DC was fun and interesting, though having to replace a universal joint on one rig was a hassle. Van(Gobium) to the rescue.

Several days have been posted to the blog.

Tomorrow, Athens, Ohio and Ohio U.

Will it be a good idea to post your plan for the ride? May be some people can meet you on the way...

I am planning on doing the same ride starting in mid July. I am making ready my 1970 BMW R60/5. Not taking the sidecar rig with me on this trip. I'm following the blog to see what has changed since I last did the ride (1984).

VLAD - 6/18/2014 5:44 PM

Will it be a good idea to post your plan for the ride? May be some people can meet you on the way...

Good idea, however between weather and mechanical issues, is difficult to project more than a day or two out.
Tonight, June 29th, we are in Grand Junction, CO. Tomorrow we start crossing Utah, then Nevada. Will start earlier in the day to avoid the 100 degree heat, stop earlier too. Will see how that goes.

Blog glitch is fixed so photos are posting again. Blog is up to date.

Thanks for following along. We are seeing a lot of trikes and Spyders in Colorado. Very few sidecar rigs though.

Leonardo - 6/29/2014 5:47 AM

I am planning on doing the same ride starting in mid July. I am making ready my 1970 BMW R60/5. Not taking the sidecar rig with me on this trip. I'm following the blog to see what has changed since I last did the ride (1984).

Write a ride report so we can follow your adventures. Good luck, stay safe.