Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Clutch cable replacement & TLE Sidecar?

I’m on a tour again and have my 2004 Electra Glide serviced various things by official H-D shop in Lisbon, Portugal. They do a great job. However, they say they can only replace the clutch cable, one of the jobs I suggested to do, after removing the TLE side. I can’ t really believe that. The clutch cable is not broken, but the insert into the box is leaking small amounts of gearbox oil (known Glide weakness). I like to have this stopped. But the whole procedure seems insane to me: will the geometry of the set up be as before, let alone the labor costs?! Does anyone has a recommendation here, I’m kinda lost...

Good luck my friend, it's always an adventure having service done on the road... I can understand an H-D shop doing everything by the book. Including sidecar removal. My local dealer usually charges an hour and a half for removal and installation.
This allows the tech full access to the trans cover without hanging upside down over the seat. An independent shop may just do it that way without removing the sidecar, but you mentioned your shop does a great job. Sometimes you get what you pay for. From my past experience, as long as they disconnect from the two heim joints and the upper bolt, there should be no issues with alignment, when reassembled. The most important item on this repair is to ensure they bleed the brakes when they put the sidecar back on. (The line is broke under the frame under the rear mount/foot peg mount for removal). I got into the rocky mountains and lost all rear and sidecar brakes, due to the tech not bleeding the brakes. Thus another repair in another shop on the road....

Tom, Ride Safe! AMA, HOG, IBA, PGR.

When I had my motor rebuilt (07 Ultra/tle) they removed only the sidecar tub not the chassis. Made for only minor corrections to alignment.

(Sorry, this should be in the tech section, hit the wrong button). Thanks for the replies. I guess I postpone it, the guys here never done a TLE sidecar, I‘m sure there are simple and extensive (=expensive) ways... why not just loosing (not more) what‘s necessary and tilt the bike left to the max? perhaps swiffy stand is enough, that should give a versatile and young mechanic enough space for accessing these few screws of the clutch box, just an idea;-)

mine leaks a little all time,its a oring.easy fix,wash cable brake fluid,silicone around cable to housing,dry.its a patch job that will last.