Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Children to be banned from riding on motorcycles

I see DOT and NHTSA have a new rule banning all children from riding on motorcycles. Presently in La. children under 5 years cannot ride on a motorcycle as a passenger but it is unclear if riding in a sidecar is also prohibited and another part of the statue prohibits children who have to use a car seat from riding on a motorcycle without the restraints of a car seat. Apparently this is a federal rule that will be forced on the states to receive federal funding. I will do whatever it takes to fight this in La. and on the federal level. I know the statistics in Europe show sidecars are much safer than two-wheeled motorcycles so there cannot be statistically data to support this for sidecars. I will check with the La. State Police on this the the La. District Attorneys Association on how they presently deal with this in regard to sidecars and how they will deal with the future federal regulation and enforcement.
Also I hope you are keeping track of the self-driving car legislation around the country and the Zero Vision policy that has spread from Europe. Sweden DOT has talked of banning motorcycle training to limit or eliminate motorcycles in the Zero Vision strategy. Self-driving cars are part of this. NHTSA and DOT are silent on where motorcycles will fit in which is very concerning. This may be the biggest threat motorcyclists face.
I hope to see many of you in the sidecar rally in Minden, La. Elena and I will be there. I will also be at the N.O. Bike Week rally in New Orleans near Armstrong Park at the Theatre ground on Sept. 24-26 and have a booth there for ABATE and the Law Office of Glenn McGovern. Come by and visit.
Glenn McGovern
gcmcg@mac.com
PS I attach an article hereto on the self-driving car threat.

Attached files

MOTORCYCLES&SELFDRIVING CARS.docx (162.2 KB) 

Washington state already has a law banning children from being passengers on motorcycles if they are under 5 years old. I don't think it applies to riding in sidecars. I do know that anyone riding in a sidecar has to wear a helmet.

ID Rep - 11/8/2016 11:58 PM

Washington state already has a law banning children from being passengers on motorcycles if they are under 5 years old. I don't think it applies to riding in sidecars. I do know that anyone riding in a sidecar has to wear a helmet.

You should really do a little research before posting on something you don't know about and get someone in trouble. All passengers in Wa. state must be at least 5 years of age regardless if it is 2 wheeler or 3 wheeler. All passengers in Wa.state must wear a DOT helmet regardless if it is a 2 wheeler or a 3 wheeler. Read the Wa. motorcycle operator manual !!!!

Thanks for the detailed explanation. we are just about to go on a trip with our husband and son on our two-wheeled friends. in https://bestresearchpaper.com/ it was written in detail how to behave on the roads. also if you need to order something else, you can also have them

https://bestresearchpaper.com/
Quote from GlennMcGovern on September 11, 2016, 10:20 am

I see DOT and NHTSA have a new rule banning all children from riding on motorcycles. Presently in La. children under 5 years cannot ride on a motorcycle as a passenger but it is unclear if riding in a sidecar is also prohibited and another part of the statue prohibits children who have to use a car seat from riding on a motorcycle without the restraints of a car seat. Apparently this is a federal rule that will be forced on the states to receive federal funding. I will do whatever it takes to fight this in La. and on the federal level. I know the statistics in Europe show sidecars are much safer than two-wheeled motorcycles so there cannot be statistically data to support this for sidecars. I will check with the La. State Police on this the the La. District Attorneys Association on how they presently deal with this in regard to sidecars and how they will deal with the future federal regulation and enforcement.
Also I hope you are keeping track of the self-driving car legislation around the country and the Zero Vision policy that has spread from Europe. Sweden DOT has talked of banning motorcycle training to limit or eliminate motorcycles in the Zero Vision strategy. Self-driving cars are part of this. NHTSA and DOT are silent on where motorcycles will fit in which is very concerning. This may be the biggest threat motorcyclists face.
I hope to see many of you in the sidecar rally in Minden, La. Elena and I will be there. I will also be at the N.O. Bike Week rally in New Orleans near Armstrong Park at the Theatre ground on Sept. 24-26 and have a booth there for ABATE and the Law Office of Glenn McGovern. Come by and visit.
Glenn McGovern
gcmcg@mac.com
PS I attach an article hereto on the self-driving car threat.

Attached files

MOTORCYCLES&SELFDRIVING CARS.docx (162.2 KB) 

More info on sidecar Rally in Minden, La.

2015 Ural Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 original owner, 1975 R 90/6, 1959 TR3A Triumph Don

I think Glenn is referring to a 2016 rally in Minden. 

Glenn spoke at the USCA Finger Lakes rally several years ago and was very well received. Hope he can attend  and speak at the 2021 rally in Arkansas.

Wisconsin,

Passengers of any age may ride a motorcycle with a licensed driver.

They must have a seat and a place to place their feet.  Commonsense  is often a view point. Ours started slowly at 6 and so did the grandchildren.

I don't see any problem with it, it's for their safety. 

How's this work when passing through a state? our now 12 year old did his first trip going cross country from San Diego to Tampa at 18 months old!  https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1377490591450&set=a.1376983738779

While I would not encourage anyone to do other than the law states, I will say that my granddaughter rode with me  since she was 3 years old. She's now 28 and lives several states away. But in the years that she was under 5 years old, we rode here in WA openly and never had a problem. Cops ignored us. Of course I realize if something unforeseen had happened, I'd have been in deep do do. But it's also likely that would have been the least of my problems or regrets right then. 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
panhead_kicker has reacted to this post.
panhead_kicker

I might add that was a long time ago and perhaps the law was different then. And some years before that, both my kids rode with me when they were quite young yet.

I know this is old, but I figured I'd share current Michigan law. Sidecars are considered a motorcycle accessory, and all motorcycle rules apply. Passengers must have a seat and foot rest, and must be able to reach the foot rests. I attached 4x4 to the passenger foot boards for my 7 year olds to ride the 2 wheel bike, that was completely legal. Helmets are required except in special cases, and none of those cases apply if the passenger is young. (I forget if it's 18 or 21.) There is no literal age limit, although the size thing makes it a practical age limit... Except, as usual, they forgot about side cars. I'm not really sure if strapping a child seat in, makes the child seat foot rests count for this law... Although I'd be willing to bet police here wouldn't give you trouble if you followed the car rules for that (and weren't mouthing off).

I have had several conversation with LEO in a few states . All have been friendly.  One ask me if seat belts were required . I said no it is a motorcycle. He did check and agreed. We do have them. One was in a parking lot. While putting Payton wheel chair together. A concerned citizen called LE to report a child in danger. He was very nice and said he had to at least show up. Ask a lot of question about sidecars. Last June in NC Park ranger and LEO at gas station were talking with Payton and Kale in the sidecar. Another party ask if that was legal . LEO said they have a seat. And it is built as a two seater.

All 3 of my daughters rode on my bike and in the sidecar since they were maybe 2 yrs. old.Short distances but now at 21 and 18, they love riding.I wouldn't change a thing.