Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Ceramic clutch, necessary or not?

A friend of mine had a ceramic clutch installed on his BMW I believe it was an 800 dual purpose bike , to use with his sidecar. He said he did this because it worked better and had little or no wear. This guy has ridden from NC to Nova Scotia, then to Alaska. each one a separate trip. He really seems to know his stuff. Just curiosus if anyone has experience with this type of clutch, what your experience has been, and if they are available for GL 1800s. Thanks

I have a friend who drives a Porsche [on sunny days and back and forth to Porsche events]. He spent the extra thousands to have ceramic brakes. This guy would never do anything that might put his car in harm's way. The brakes are like extra chrome to a Harley rider. Nice to have but not necessary.

It's just my opinion but the ceramic clutch is much the same. It does all the things that are claimed for it. It costs an unreasonable amount of money and for most folks its special attributes will never be an issue. Sidecar rigs are harder on clutches that solo bikes but ONLY if you are an extreme long distance driver will it ever make a difference.

Thanks for the response and info. the unit I have is a Goldwing with a Hannigan Classic. It should be able to run well given the power of the engine. My friend is an engineer and I think a little obsessed with over doing things!

FWIW I had to change out the factory clutch on my 2003 R1150GS rig right at 100,000 miles. Of course only 40,000 of those were hauling a sidecar.

https://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Yesterday I had a closer look to the open clutch of the 2007 Ural that split the skull of a Canadian miner...The clutch is more like a Zündapp clutch with double friction plates...It is possible to ruin a clutch in 7500km when you live in high mountain range. The steel plates were over heated, worn and badly bent. specially the release plate where the push pin and the springs rest on. while the friction plates were worn down to 1/3 of their original thickness.
If someone rides so bad and would spend the money on modern friction plates, then he must change the steel plates too to something better. otherwise its just money thrown out the window.

But what I learned more out of it...is the next bigger maintenance I will have a closer look to my own clutch too. Better know where you are and not get a big surprise when you do not need it.
Sven

BMW's have dry clutches, most other motorcycles are wet clutches. I wouldn't think it necessary (if it's even available) to get a ceramic wet clutch.