Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Ceramic Clutch for BMW

Am getting that stinky smell from the clutch on a 2006 BMW R1200RT/Hannigan rig.
Seems the Touratech Ceramic clutch (Part# 040-0353) is on back order worldwide. Are there any other suppliers of a heavy duty clutch for sidecar duty?
Or does anyone have one lying around they are willing to part with?
Thanks
CCjon

Well, Jon, there's the Siebenrock 2122737 available from Beemerboneyard and Wunderlich but it, too, appears to be backordered worldwide. I ordered a ceramic disc from TT back in July and my rig has basically just been sitting waiting for the new clutch. Hate to go organic since the labor involved is mind-blowing.

Here's your RT, all ready to receive its new clutch, after removing just a couple of pieces that were in the way!

WOW, that photo is enough to scare anyone away from ever owning a BMW.... just in time for Halloween too.

Whoever produces the BMW ceramic clutch must be waiting for enough orders before cranking up production. Visited a Touratech store in Spain last week. They could not find a ceramic clutch in any of their stores in Europe. They show a 7-8 week delay, but could be months they say.

You are right, the labor to install far exceeds the cost of the parts. A firm delivery date would make waiting easier.

Thanks for another source and the photo.

Jan

¿What? ¡!
I guess after this photo I better stick to my Ural, where I changed the clutch plates a few month ago myself. with much less withdrawal.

Jan, you are getting around...Hope until you come around this neck of the woods that the roads will be open again after Nate's disasters. Offers for rig and road guide stay open.
Sven

Sven, have not forgotten your generous offer to ride in CR. just haven't gotten there yet. Someday...

Did you find your engraved rice grains in Szentendre, Hungary? Saw an elderly gentleman there doing micro-engraving.

Hello Jan,
those grains were the most important present to my wife. "Beauty comes from inside!"
The grains were painted by craftsman Jose Sanchez in down town pedestrian walk San Jose 1990 in the week before our marriage.
Jose had the painting ready, on my wish wrote the sentence with a standard brush without glasses and in less then 5 minutes. The lower grain got lost over the years and we I lost contact to this incredible painter. He was the one who started the costarican tradition of painting feathers and grains to the time when my wife used to arrange craftsmen fairs for the economic ministry.
That is quite a few days ago, when this land was still a country "with social conscience"...I better do not mention what now is the main characteristics imported from US.

From Hungary was the mathematics teacher of our kids (Doña Karen r.i.p.). Never have been there...now it is possible...time to pack the tent on my second bike. Don't ask how much my fingers cribble to take the next flight out of the rainy season.
Best regards.
Sven

CCJon

Check out the WunderlichAmerica website - they have a couple of clutches listed - organic?? - give them a call re their sintered clutch.

As I mentioned in another thread even an organic clutch can last a lot of miles depending on riding style and habits

Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

Thanks Duncan, will look at their site.

http://bit.ly/2iZbCGQ maybe this