USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Carrying a fire extinguisher

Originally written by SidecarMike on 1/22/2009 9:15 AM

Originally written by claude #3563 on 1/22/2009 10:01 AM

Global warming is coming to Pa. tomorrow. I hear is is susposed to go up into the near mid fourties F. I think I will still laugh at ALGORE or maybe cry..dunno. Where can one get tar anyhow? We can get feathers around here pretty easily.

We have it today. Forecast is 31ºF, but it's only 12 now. Of course, Saturday's forecast calls for a high of 8ºF. Enjoy it while you can.

I guess everyone's got to be somewhere. I understand that there are family and employment issues that keep people in the area where they were born. That said, I was born in Chicago and I left the first chance I got, mainly due to the weather. I left for California the month I graduated from high school and haven't looked back.

Like other states in the same belt, Chicago gets terribly cold. The cold plus the wind blowing in from the lake can make life truly miserable. I just got tired of it.

God bless all those who live in cold areas.

GNM109 wrote:
>>I understand that there are family and employment issues that keep people in the area where they were born.<<

But I was born in Florida and moved to Pennsylvania in '81 or so...oh well always have been a little backwards 🙂

Originally written by gnm109 on 1/22/2009 12:28 PM

Originally written by SidecarMike on 1/22/2009 9:15 AM

Originally written by claude #3563 on 1/22/2009 10:01 AM

Global warming is coming to Pa. tomorrow. I hear is is susposed to go up into the near mid fourties F. I think I will still laugh at ALGORE or maybe cry..dunno. Where can one get tar anyhow? We can get feathers around here pretty easily.

We have it today. Forecast is 31ºF, but it's only 12 now. Of course, Saturday's forecast calls for a high of 8ºF. Enjoy it while you can.

I guess everyone's got to be somewhere. I understand that there are family and employment issues that keep people in the area where they were born. That said, I was born in Chicago and I left the first chance I got, mainly due to the weather. I left for California the month I graduated from high school and haven't looked back.

Like other states in the same belt, Chicago gets terribly cold. The cold plus the wind blowing in from the lake can make life truly miserable. I just got tired of it.

God bless all those who live in cold areas.
[/QUOTE]

I grew up on top of a bluff overlooking that same lake. While I agree it can be brutal in winter, I'd give anything for the chance to once again sit at my bedroom window and watch the ships on their way south to Milwaukee and Chicago.
And to paddle a home made ten foot kayak out so far I couldn't see the shore and fish all day in the sun.

I read this entire post, and i thought i would learn a lesson about the need for a fire-extinguisher on the sidecar...at first i thought....that is not a bad idea.....of course this turned-into a blast on politics and an idea that normal winter cycles are an excuse to dismiss the validity of the global warming issue as a hoax. I'm still baffled by the extreme loss of ice-mass in the 2 poles; and i agree that here in michigan being up-to-your-ass in snow is not fun. However----there has been more than one sunrise this winter that has lit the snowscape in a way that makes you feel very close to our Maker...they have been incredible. The idea of a dessert enviroment where the annual low hits 55 degrees at night is not everyone's cup-of-tea.
Leo

Originally written by sidecarLeo on 2/1/2009 6:10 AM

I read this entire post, and i thought i would learn a lesson about the need for a fire-extinguisher on the sidecar...at first i thought....that is not a bad idea.....of course this turned-into a blast on politics and an idea that normal winter cycles are an excuse to dismiss the validity of the global warming issue as a hoax. I'm still baffled by the extreme loss of ice-mass in the 2 poles; and i agree that here in michigan being up-to-your-ass in snow is not fun. However----there has been more than one sunrise this winter that has lit the snowscape in a way that makes you feel very close to our Maker...they have been incredible. The idea of a dessert enviroment where the annual low hits 55 degrees at night is not everyone's cup-of-tea.
Leo

I live in California. Being away from the snow makes me feel closer to my maker.

Global warming has indeed become a political matter. If only someone other than Al Gore had become the spokesman, the concept might have more universal appeal. He doesn't seem to be too committed to the concept however. I understand that his private jet puts out more than 800 pounds of CO2 per hour when underway.

As to the validity of global warming. It may well be happening. Personally though, given the known age of the earth and solar system, I would prefer a slightly longer test period, say at least 100 million years.

But I do agree, a fire extinguisher is a good idea on a sidecar.

I have fire extinguishers mounted on two of my KLR rigs. The Forest service mandated they be carried by all vehicles, including motos, right before a dualsport rally I had entered so I strapped them on the back of the sidecars using the buckle straps made to keep pant legs out of bicycle chains. Since they ride well there and it isn't a bad thing to have one handy I left em there.

I have had a new Ural Gear up burst into flames due to flawed design. Had my buddy not had an extinguisher handy that bike would have burnt to the ground. Not a bad thing to carry if you have the room.

And, no, you can't trust the general public or big business to be prudent in the use of hazardous materials. Regulation and prohibition sucks but being poisoned by a self centered greedy fool sucks more.

Vernon,
What kind of fire extinguishers did you carry?
Howard