Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Carroll County MD, Learning sidecar

I am trying my best to get used to my new Velorex sidecar on my 95 springer. I really love it but I am finding the steering extremely difficult. I would love to have someone to ride with who can let me know that all the things I am going through are normal or if something needs to be fixed. I ride with my husband who rides faster than I am comfortable right now. I cannot seem to get over 40 or so on the back roads and go really slow around some tight curves.
Thanks,
Sandie

I rode a year before I finally got into a sidecar class. I live in the mountains of Va, and went on alot of poker runs. The two wheeler always pushed me and right turns were Hairy. This was with my wife in the cart for ballast! Right turns had me at 40-45mph, so I took the class and the #1 tip was to apply front brake as u give gas thru right turns. That evening I took a winding 2 lane mtn road home without my wife as ballast and did 55 plus thru the curves. This was on ultra HD with a hd rig. The bike has no rake. Recently I bought a 88 goldwing with a hannigan 2+2. It has a 5 percent rake electric lean on the cart, and the cart is heavy. I don't have to give front brake on the curves and I can keep up with 2 wheelers. I have both bikes now and they both have different driving needs. Hope this kinda helps. BIGGEST thing to do is take a class.

Hey Sandie don't know if your still riding I have just been scrolling thru the old posts and seen this post. I am in the eastern panhandle of WV . It took me a bit to get used to the sidecar and I had to work on my ballast weights and alignment to get it comfortable riding .

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member