Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

car tires on R-1150 RT with Hannigan astro

I currently have a BMW R-1150 RT with a Hannigan astro that is my long distance ride. I will be replacing the tires next spring and I am thinking about switiching to car tires for price , more mileage and handling. Any recomendations that will fit my rims? I have Metzeler ME 880 170/20R 17 on Front and 160/70 R 17 on the rear. Thanks ural driver.

We make a car wheel conversion for the rear of your bike. $1295, it runs a 165 15 automotive tire. It is 100% bolt on, runs an standard off the shelf wheel which allows you to have a spare wheel and tire if you want as the wheel it self is fairly in expensive. As the wheel bolts to the adapter you do not have to remove the brake or ABS tone ring to change wheels. The set up works with both early and late type of ABS tone rings.
We also make a steering modification for your bike for much lighter steering $350
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Dude--if you have a RT with a Hannigan then you need to change your handle! Ural Driver what?

If you have room , you can have both!! I will try to send pictures. Thanks Jim

Attached files

Hi Drone. When I joined the side car club I had the Ural. I found I needed more power for long trips and 2 up. Then stopping was another matter. I bought the BMW with 4 disk brakes, ABS and 60 more Horsepower!!! I had more fun on the URAL. I may have another one. The Ural is gone to a good home and I have a F-650 GS and getting 62 mpg around town. The BMW / Hannigan is my long distance ride for now. X Ural driver.

OK, I get it.

About those rims, some bikes you can mount a car tire on the rear rim--the darksiders forum is full of them--but I haven't heard it done to a BMW. I think you need to use a car wheel and an adapter like what Jay was talking about above. As for the front rim, again I don't think a BMW rim will take a car tire. You're gonna need a different rim and a way to mount it--but then again maybe you already have a different rim? In Post #1 you said you have a 170/20-R17 which is not a size I've ever heard of. Maybe a typo? But if you do have a 170/??/17 on the front, then what kind of rim is it? Do you have any pics?

ural driver - 12/15/2011 2:51 PM
... I bought the BMW with 4 disk brakes, ABS and 60 more Horsepower!!! I had more fun on the URAL....

I've heard similar comments before about Urals ..... and TW200's too. Laughing

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Yes, there is a front wheel available that uses a car tire.... also several folks have put Unit Leading Link front ends on their bikes...with car tire in the front.... Unit is in England and produces great stuff....
I had a R1100R with a Unit front end and car tire.... currently I have an EML R100S with a 125SR15 in the front and a 135SR15 on the rear and on the car.

Joel

Does anyone have information on adapting a 2005 Harley Eletra-Glide to a car tire?

The pre 2009 Electra Glides can use a 5.00x16" Firestone like the early Harleys did. Cop bikes used to use them. A 5.50x 16" may also squeeze in (not sure about this one tho'.).

L.

Hack'n - 1/30/2012 9:31 PM

The pre 2009 Electra Glides can use a 5.00x16" Firestone like the early Harleys did. Cop bikes used to use them. A 5.50x 16" may also squeeze in (not sure about this one tho'.).

L.

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out.

Hi All,
New to this forum and newly returned to a hack after 30 years. I just put a Hannigan Conde Classic on my BMW K1200RS, and I'm sure tire wear will soon be a concern! Rear rim is 5.5 x 17 and I've seen some numbers for mounting a 205/50-17 (Bridgestone Potenza G 019) that is actually specced for a 5.5 rim width.
My question is how thick of a spacer can I safely use to gain a bit of clearance on the swingarm?
I'm assuming it would be best to find lugs bolts that are longer so the threaded depth in the hub is the same.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Markh00 - 1/31/2012 9:38 PM

Hack'n - 1/30/2012 9:31 PM

L.

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out.

Has anyone tried the AVON 5.00 x 16 Safety Mileage MKII. Rim width is correct and diameter is correct, but what kind of mileage can I expect?

Mark, I've seen the AVON 5.00x16 Safety Mileage MKII on a couple of older tugs, but no experience so I can't comment on 'em.

Another option available now is the Shinko 240 Classic MT90H-16 tube tire -- again, I no experience.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Lee, thanks I'll check that out.

I have been running a Claude Stanley rear wheel adapter on a K1200 LT. for around 75,000 miles. Been very happy with the set up. Check with him for price and fitability. J.R. Tex. state rep.