Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Car tire for the front of my Valkyrie

It takes a 150/80R17 MC tire. With the sidecar I'd like to go to a flat profile on the front as well as the rear. I searched a couple of the popular online tire stores and thete doesn't appear to be many options in a 17 inch size. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks, Mike

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

After hours of searching I found this http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Front-Runner/4.5-26.0-17#.WQVfsiBOmhC It's very close size wise, only 1/2 inch less tall overall. But it's a minimum order of two at $183 each. Ouch! Some kind of tire for the front of drag racers evidently. Any hacked Valk riders out there with car tire on the front?

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

Valkrider,

Good find, will the 6" width be too wide in the forks? I wonder how deep the tread is.

What throws me is the "26.0" number. That is the diameter, but not sure why they include it as a tire aspect ratio number.

Are you using the tire calculator to compare sizes?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=130-80r17-145-70r17

That site and the tire conversion chart are helpful. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Tire-And-Wheel-Information/49/Motorcycle

If you have found better charts for comparing various tire sizes, please pass it on.

I was looking at your find as a possible candidate for a KLR650 rear tire.

CCjon

Thanks, it wasn't easy. The width is almost exactly the width of the Dunlop E3 I have on there now. My Rim width is 3/16 less than the spec'd tire but assume it's not a problem mounting. I ran across several tire sites that list tire sizes differently than the excepted standard though this was the only one that listed the actual width/height/wheel size in inches as the specs. Others listed tires like 550-15.

Are you really sure you want a car tire on the front? Unless they are very skinny they can be a handful to ride as they tend to track ever last grove in the pavement and hydroplane far to easy in the rain. While I could run a car tire on the front of my own personal bike, even tried it briefly. I do not like the way it works, a motorcycle tire on the front (often a rear tire) works much better for most situations.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay, perhaps I'm working under a misconception. Wouldn't be the first time. For some reason I thought that with sidecar use, flat profile tires all around were a good thing. Thought I read that being recommended somewhere.

On the rear an automotive tire has a lot of advantages, On the sidecar it has some advantages, on the front its draw backs at least for me out weight its advantages unless it is a very skinny tire. Skinny tires are getting hard to find. Sizes like 125 and 135 15 work ok but require a custom wheel and have a tire that few places stock.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

CCjon, I emailed asking about tread depth on the above tire but have not heard back yet. I'm afraid it's going to have little tread depth since it's for racing and racers don't like a lot of tread. Similar type tires I found were only 3/32 inch. However I also found this at summit racing. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6677/overview/ It has 8/32 tread depth and a lot higher tread width ratio to tire width. It is a radial though. Not sure how rear would effect your decision.

I agree wtih jaydmc. Using a motorcycle tire on the front is a lot better in terms of handling and ride quality.

I agree--stick with a moto tire. But, there's not many choices in 150/80-17. However, if you are willing to drop down to a 150/70-17 (will reduce your front axle ride height by 1/2" ), not only can you find a bias ply tire, but you can even find a nice stiff bias ply REAR tire with a less round profile--this would be a super choice for your front rim.

I'd consider the Avon Roadrider AM26, the Bridgestone Battleax BT-45 (my personal choice), or the Metzeler Lasertec--all are available as bias ply rear tires in 150/70-17. Many people recommend that you mount the rear tire on the front in the opposite direction of the way a rear tire would be mounted on the rear. This is to optimize braking. However, this advice is more for deep tread tires like you typically see on adventure and dual sport bikes. For tires like the ones I listed, rain siping will be better if you mount them NOT in reverse. The forward/reverse tread pattern on these three tires is not a significant contributor to the tire's braking traction.

Timely post.
I'm just installing a WASP LL on my Valk, and the Metzler M880 Marathon is just about toast after 5000 miles on the stock forks. Yes, it is always inflated correctly (I run 40 psi).
I have a Dunlop E3 on the front of the solo Valk, and get about 10k; the Marathon is flatter profile than the E3.
Just looked at tat Summit Racing link - a Mickey Thompson tire, but 6.3" width! Not sure it would fit. The Marathon is 5.25".
The BT45 looks top be a sport touring rear tire - with a relatively high rounded profile based on the pic. That said, it is V rated to 149 mph, which should cover me on the Tucson area freeways... and probably out of an airplane as well; I'd bet terminal velocity on a Valk Hack is about 140-150MPH...
The AM26 look better in profile. Also V rated. I do wish it was available in the /80. Hard to give up 1/2" height though when your driveway is 3 miles of off road work. My oil filter and the crossbar for the case guards are always banged up by rocks.

Its always a compromise. Personally, I may just stick with the Marathon; no problems, was just hoping their was something a bit better suited.

Just noticed that Marathon H (130 MPH) vs V (149 mph) ratings are almost a $40 difference. If I could indulge the group... I have always assume that higher speeds mean higher temps? While even Valks don't generally see 100+ (but they can if you want to, and you manly stuff is big enough... HA) they are much heavier. In a couple weeks we will be heading out into 100F+ weather, with wifey and canine and around 200 lbs of gear, prolly pushing 1500 lbs overall, going down the road at 80 mph... A couple summers ago on this trip (Tucson to Minny Sody), when we pulled off at rest stops the front tire was literally too hot to touch. Good thing we stop every 100 miles for gas to let the tires cool...

Note that both the H and V tires have the exact same 72 load rating - 783 lbs. So do you gain anything in tire construction (other than the capability to rotate faster) that would be beneficial on a highly loaded hack?

Pago, I don't think the difference between an H and a V is significant for your rig. Your 1500 lb rig will probably carry less than 500 lbs on the front wheel which is like 60% of its rated max load. For a tire to receive an H rating, it has to be able to carry its max load at its max speed at a specified ambient temp (which I think is 100f, though not sure on that) over a set period of time, not just for an instant. And tire manufacturers typically overbuild the tire anyway--they don't build them to "just barely" pass the test. Possibly the extra $40 might result in longer tire life because the carcass of the V tire is more robust, but from a safety perspective I think an H tire is fine.

Yes but, why limit yourself to only 130 mph??? Lol