USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

car battery

what size car battery do I use if I mount the battery in the side car? I have a HD FLHTC with the stock battery under the seat. I plan to mount a car battery in the back of the sidecar.

Size is not important unless you are using it for ballast, then the larger the better.
Get one that fits well into a marine battery box and strap it down. Some go parallel with the bike battery but I usually use just the car battery since they are much cheaper and have lots more amp hours for cranking and accessories.

Lonnie

oldriders - 2/1/2010 1:49 PM

what size car battery do I use if I mount the battery in the side car? I have a HD FLHTC with the stock battery under the seat. I plan to mount a car battery in the back of the sidecar.

I agree that it should be a standard sized car battery. Are you planning on leaving the standard battery in place and using the additional battery in parallel with the original battery?

I have three bikea with hannigan on them. 1 HD and two wings... all with car batteries. One is parallel with the originia and other two are the only battery. No problems with either way.

HOG - 2/1/2010 8:01 PM

I have three bikea with hannigan on them. 1 HD and two wings... all with car batteries. One is parallel with the originia and other two are the only battery. No problems with either way.

That sounds good. The battery is good ballast, too.

Great idea! 😉

If you're going to use a car battery, you should consider using a gel cell that doesn't (normally) vent, causing corrosion. I picked up an Optima "blue top" RV battery for ~$100 from the local Interstate battery shop. It was a "blem" - perfectly good battery with a slight scuff that kept them from selling it as new. Came with a one year warranty too. Lots of power and no worries about acid. Now I'm running two Optima "red top" 6volt batteries, tied together in series to provide 12v and plenty o'amps in a smaller package.

That is what I have in my three Hannigans. Blue top Optima, bought at Sams. U got a great price!! I just bought a 2,000/4000 watt inverter today, so i can hook up a heater or other access. as needed. Couldn't use that on a reg bike battery!!!

Yeah - you never know unless you ask. I'd priced them at a local automotive parts store and it was over $180 plus core charge plus tax... I got the blem plus custom length battery cables w/crimped and soldered terminal ends, glue-filled heatshrink to seal them up, all for under $150 (8.6% tax included).

Inverters are a great deal at pricemart. you get them now up to 3000W for 375$
And it is a blast to work with electric tools just where you want. No need to search for the next electric supply and long extension cords.
Only take into account that all current has to come from the alternator......
In my case with Jawa as soon I switch on the head light I draw down the battery because together with the position lights of the sidecar I surpass already the alternators output.

So after 1 hour at night time the light seems t drop down to the ground right in front of the wheel...
I do not think that a bigger battery would help in my case for much more then a few minutes more light.
Best regards
Sven