Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Can't keep frame clamp I place

Wen I bouilt my sidecar I used the factory straps from California sidecar for my upper mounts. Luckily I had the mistrust to drill holes in the strap and block to add bolts for a backup for emergencys. After a ride on the highway with a loaded sidecar the clamp came loose. Every time I tighten it the strap comes loose. Dose anyone have a suggestion on how to keep it in place. I want to avoid welding I will be pulling the sidecar to replace the rear lower strut soon so I can get some more clearance in the wheel well and posabley build a inboard suspention so I can loose the tourtion axle.

Subframe mount the car is the best solution..

You did not say what bike you have, however in general if the clamps are placed such that they are not trying to resist a twisting motion they do not tend to slip. This of course assumes that all of your other mounts were done correctly. If the lower mounts are not done correctly then the upper mounts end up having to take much more of the load. You also say you are changing the lower rear strut, there should not be struts on the lower mounts at all. Struts are what are used on the upper mounts. The lower mounts on a California sidecar should be "boss and clamps" the clamp is what slides into the sidecars frame and has a clamp welded onto the end. Usually set at either a 45 or 70 degree angle. California in general used one 45 and one 70 degree clamp on their sidecars. What slides into the clamp is called a "boss" also made at the same angles as the clamps. Early California sidecars used a "ball tulip" type lower mount which is known to fail and should be changed out. The latter ones on the end of the boss was a 5/8 inch hiem joint. A hiem joint is like an eye bolt but with a bearing built in.
We of course offer sub frames, and bits and pieces if you can let me know what bike you have I can better help.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thanks I couldn't think of the word for the boss the lower mounts are the hem joints. The reason I can't get it to stay tight is that the angle that the mount need to be at means I have to back the bolt out just a bit I am thinking I might need a new shim in there or maby grind the shim a bit to aloe it to tighten a bit more. I'll get some photos of the mounts when I have time

Still need to know what bike, there may be better options then a frame clamp.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

It's a 89 yamaha xvz1300 I would love a full subframe but cash is a little tight becaus I just had to replace my truck after blowing the rear main and trashing the engine loosing all oil pressure at freeway speeds. I had called about a subframe and was getting ready to order but it will be put off for a bit now.

Looking at photo's of similar bikes, I see no good place to use frame clamps at all on this bike. The rear tube location the tube is under sized and I see no place at all for the lower front that has any chance at all of working well. Some bike just really need sub frames. Safety must come first even when money is tight. How the lower mounts hook up will make a big difference as well to how the upper mounts work.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

I am using engine bolts to mount the front lower and where the pas anger floor board mounts for the rear like the goldwin that donated the sidecar had it done te upper front is behind the radiator and the rear is under the seat right infront of the saddle bag. The rear upper dosnt move at all. I am thinking about useing the center stand mount to mount the rear if it starts to be a problem.

I realized i should have said that I am having trouble keeping it tight not that it's slipping

worn thread? try helicoil for repair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

Sven

Mantree - 7/8/2014 12:50 PM

It's a 89 yamaha xvz1300 I would love a full subframe but cash is a little tight becaus I just had to replace my truck after blowing the rear main and trashing the engine loosing all oil pressure at freeway speeds. I had called about a subframe and was getting ready to order but it will be put off for a bit now.

I have an 88 Venture Royale. What resources are out there for me to buy a subframe for this particular bike and what would I expect topay? I would do the installation myself. I have a California Sidecar Friendship III to connect to it.