Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Cannonball Run

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Been keeping and eye on it here but will check out the other link. I use to be a member of the AMCA.
Thanks
Jeff

Home

Much of the problem is many say shade but nothing about rain. All so many do not list a packed size.

For those that don't check in on the cannonball site here are some videos of the different stages including one of Michael Lichter who is riding across the country backwards shooting photos of the event. The couple from Australia hooked up the wicker sidecar after passing through the mountain range and were filmed together crusing down the road. I even found the back of myself shooting pictures and being filmed on the curve on the hill with some other people I met that morning in the stage 2 portion.........the daughter is right...I am getting greyer on top

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/

The cannonball has ended this will give you an idea as to the desire and dedication to these old machines the riders had to try and be able to finish the cannonball run.

Shinya was amazing this year, just as he was in the original Cannonball. My favorite Shinya story this year is from the rest day, which I spent in Lonnie Isam's shop in Sturgis. There were several engines being rebuilt, and every workspace was taken, when Shinya walked in with a tray full of broken parts from his '15 Indian. So he settled on the floor with an arc welder and started putting pieces back together.

One of the parts required a wrench with a strange bend, so Shinya cut up a perfectly good 1/2-inch drive ratchet and welded it back together with a bend in the middle.

He had already lost miles on several days, and had to keep rebuilding the bike all the way across the country. But that didn't stop him from continuing to fix it each night so he could at least start the next morning.

Chris Knoop was indeed one of the interesting stories of this year's event. He showed up with his J.A.P.-powered, Aussie-made Invincible with a replica wicker sidecar attached. He rode the first several days with his wife, Christina, in the car, and we got used to picking them up with the sweep truck at the 40- to 50-mile mark each day as the clutch would invariably fail.

Eventually, Chris made the decision to convert the machine to a two-wheeler and ride it solo the rest of the way. By that point, be was dealing with a broken rear brake (which he fixed) and a clutch basket that had two chunks taken out of it. When I had to leave the Cannonball, Chris was in the initial stages of carving a new clutch basket out of aluminum stock. That was going to be a long-term project, and I'm not sure if he completed it. But I do know that he nursed that bike along, day after day, being careful to run at speeds that wouldn't damage it further.

The results show that he was perfect in nine of the final 11 stages--on a bike that was pretty badly crippled. Just one of several very impressive rides this year.

Bill Wood

Plenty of time to start planning Chuck. I found this on the Cannonball Facebook Page. I'll volunteer to drive your support vehicle.

"Felicia Morgan it looks likely there will be a 2014 run with 1914 as the cut off year."

Joyce - 9/24/2012 3:38 PM

Plenty of time to start planning Chuck. I found this on the Cannonball Facebook Page. I'll volunteer to drive your support vehicle.

"Felicia Morgan it looks likely there will be a 2014 run with 1914 as the cut off year."

$ounds Great Joyce, I will need to do $ome thinking,planing and mo$t importantly find a 1914 motorcycle, preferably with a $idecar com$idering both cannonball run$ had a $idecar entered but didn't finish I would really like to compete with a sidecar. But the olde$t bike that I have i$ a 1930, and well....I am al$o lacking one other important thing 🙁

Darryl had an accident in route to the finish from what I have found out so far he is ok but fairly banged up the BMW went over the road side it took a tow truck to winch it to the road there is a you tube video of it search Bean're rescues an antique motorcycle.

No sign of Steve in the video most likely was with Darryl

Drats -- that's a a tough way to end the Run. Glad injuries were minor.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

There is more detail at Darryl's blog. It appears he needed surgery on his foot. Yes Steve will have a ton of memories from this trip.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/cannonball_blog

Darn modem died lat Friday and just got back online last night with new modem. I noticed that the first 20 all had the same total miles how do they deiced who is 1st and so on.

I noticed many later motorcycles many still old are they just riding along and is this allowed? I could never afford to do something like this but would love to ride along.

There were a number of bikes with the same score. Tiebreakers are as follows: 1st: lower class wins over high class. None of the class 1 bikes were in contention, but there were a number of class 2 bikes with perfect scores. 2nd tiebreaker is the age of the bike and the final tiebreaker, the age of the rider.

The overall winner was the same guy who one it the first time.

Several people did follow along that were attached to various teams. That had to be cleared ahead of time and we were not allowed to offer any assistance or tools. People not associated with a team were free to follow along. Support vans had to travel (mostly) by a different route everyday, except where that was not practical.

We had someone riding with Darryl most every day taking pictures and/or video. I took a lot of stuff with my iPhone that turned out fairly well. I hope to be able to post the sequence where Darryl downshifts from third to 2nd. There is no accelerator on his bike, just controls for spark, air and fuel. The shifter is a hand shifter on the right and air and fuel are also on that side. He gets pretty busy!

It's cool to know you guys were following along.

~Steve

Even thaw at one time I had many parts for much older bikes the oldest I built out of pieces and rode daily was a 42 and 46 which I took several 2,000 to 3,000 mile trips. I all so helped a good friend of mine build his 1935 VL.

My 1942 WL I built out of pieces and rode from Macon, GA to Richmond Virgina and back.

All so my 1946UL that I started with 2 bear wheel hubs and a gasket kit. Been in 14 shows won 22 awards 3 magazines and one news paper. Road to Key West and back. It was my daily rider for many a year.

Then my friends 1935VL I help build.

Attached files

Hi Steve,

How is Daryl doing ? I would hope a bit better by now. Seeing his bike being pulled up the side of the cliff was a bit sickning to see knowing what people go through to restore them. I went down to Pa. to see them leave from Wellsboro we were up a hill on a curve when the ontrage went by. Saw Gary Haynes he came back to say hi real quickly and off he went I followed Chris Knoop a while till the JAP called it quits for the day and helped him , lonnie and a few others load it on the trailer.............So what's doing for 2014?? I would still like to see someone at least finish it with a sidecar rig, oh I'll be looking for your book to come outSmile winters coming.

PreviousPage 2 of 2