Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Can it change the alignment

OK I have read recently a few things that in my little mind just don't make sense,, So I am here to ask those who are in the know

1) can replacing a tire with a little bit taller or shorter tire change alignment, if so what can get changed and how or why

2) can installing easy steer or rake kit change alignment, if so what and how or why

I ask because on a Goldwing for example I can adjust ride height by simply adding air to the rear shocks, or even the front if I wanted to
I have progressives in the front so no need for air there. However I adjust the rear shock quite often depending on what I'm doing
IE 2 up on bike, me on bike rider in car, pulling the camper

So in my mind adding air only lifts the bike up and down, same goes for adjust cam on the car. the tires don't change pitch or direction other than
minute changes in side force maybe due to weight position change of bike or car being lifted or lowered
I just replaced all 3 tires on my rig, I did not change tire size from what was on it, but it seems very squirely now, I'm chalking it up to fresh rubber for now

after reading that installing easysteer can change alignment I decided to check mine again. Now as I said I don't see how it could make any difference but
my toe in is at 1" even. I'm pretty sure I had it at either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 when I set it up

So do these things change alignment
also is 1" ok for a 15 GoldWing
it seems to track fine, has the slight right pull when accel. none when braking but I have brakes on the car hooked up

1 last question, will too much toe in cause slow speed head shake, slow speed as in 15 MPH or less

USCA # 8913

no expert here Ace, but would seem to me that raising or lowering the bike will not affect alignment as much as lean angle, which does affect the characteristics due to the angle of the road. just thinking in my muddled mind, raising the bike would decrease the lean angle of the bike which I would think would make the rig pull right.

curious to hear what alignment experts say for this one.

AJ1200 - 3/28/2017 8:36 AM

I have progressives in the front so no need for air there. However I adjust the rear shock quite often depending on what I'm doing 2 up on bike, me on bike rider in car, pulling the camper

When you adjust the rear shock for more weight on the bike your alignment almost same since you have more weight.
If you care about your rear tire you can make several lines across tire with can paint and take it for short ride. You will be able to see how tire wearing out and make small adjustments if needed.

Changing tire size and the front end can effect alignment as it can change the ride height of the bike which will have an effect on lean out. Your sidecar tire may not still sit square to the ground. Your lean out will be slightly different and if your lower mounts are not the same distance from the ground toe could change. This is far more theory then any thing else, in reality the changes are not much different then when you change air in the shocks and are more then likely less then you will be able to measure with the precision alignment equipment we tend to use. (I.E. two straight edges and a tape measure.)
The GL1500 is a lot longer then other bikes and as toe is measured over the length of the bike to end up with the same amount of actual toe at the sidecar that you would have with a bike with a shorter wheel base your toe numbers need to be higher, I would set your toe on this bike at about 1.25 inches.
Your old tires had worn flat in the center, your new tires have not as of yet so it will be more "squirrely" for a short while.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

LEAN OUT is a static adjustment where the bike is leaned out away from the sidecar. TILT is when the sidecar suspension is raised or lowere ...and/ or the bike is raised or lowered. Both , working together are a means to provide good tracking. Tilt should be used for finer tuning and lean out should be the initial adjustment. Changing lean out can change the toe in as Jay mentioned. So it is a good idea to ,right up front, take the upper mounts off or disconnect one end of the struts and loosen the lowers (not necessary if heim ends are used and they offer little to no resistance anyhow)....then have someone lean the bike in and out while watching to see if the sidecar wheel 'steers' and which way it does so. This is to show what llean out does to toe in and it can vary between ine outfit and another. Toe in will change a little or a lot depending in the lower mount positions in realation to one another.