Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Can I remove this iron beam?

This looks like an add on for a Trailer Ball. I don't pull a trailer so I would like to remove it. Does it look like it's needed for the sidecar frame stability?

The ball is welded on so I don't know how I would replace it if I wanted to keep it.

Beam is held on with u bolts.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeys
2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Man, that thing is really on there!

But it looks like you can simply pull off the U-bolts and remove it. 

Might want to have a little black touch-up paint handy.

smitty901 and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
smitty901FlyingMonkeys

I would leave it because it adds ridged support. With a bike and sidecar of that size.

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

I spoke with Cody at Hannigan today and other than towing a trailer this thing serves no purpose.

So It's coming off.

DRONE and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
DRONEFlyingMonkeys
2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

22 pounds of dead weight plus the mounting hardware. I would offer it for sale but I can't imagine what shipping would cost...

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
FlyingMonkeys

I have one just like that, that I removed from my first sidecar rig, an '86 Goldwing 1200 w/California Friendship lll, and Unit Leading Link on the bike.

Had no need for the massive tow bar, and couldn't find anyone local that wanted it, so it still sits in my shop.

Big Tom has reacted to this post.
Big Tom
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents

It's funny, you guys are removing the tow bars and I am in the process of building one for my 1800 so I can tow our Bunkhouse camper.

only difference I need mine to have a receiver on the end not a welded ball as I also use a bicycle carrier a lot 

USCA # 8913
Quote from AceinSav on April 25, 2023, 9:32 am

It's funny, you guys are removing the tow bars and I am in the process of building one for my 1800 so I can tow our Bunkhouse camper.

only difference I need mine to have a receiver on the end not a welded ball as I also use a bicycle carrier a lot 

Prolly wouldn't take a welder much effort to weld a receiver on this beast.

Quote from Big Tom on April 24, 2023, 4:11 pm

I spoke with Cody at Hannigan today and other than towing a trailer this thing serves no purpose.

So It's coming off.

Tom. Where are you located?

Quote from Quick_Cal on April 25, 2023, 10:12 am
Quote from Big Tom on April 24, 2023, 4:11 pm

So It's coming off.

Tom. Where are you located?

I'm in Surprise AZ 85387

FlyingMonkeys