Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Can anyone ID thiss sidecar

I would really like to know anything you may know about the sidecar.

I think it is a SOA Spirit Of America post California take over post 1975 Companion model.  In 75 they molded the fender to the body ?

Anyone agree / disagree  

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Smitty, I believe you're right.  The fender and the small size are the tip-offs.  Such a small sidecar on that bike is not ideal.

A.

Quote from Al Olme on October 16, 2021, 11:42 am

Smitty, I believe you're right.  The fender and the small size are the tip-offs.  Such a small sidecar on that bike is not ideal.

A.

Thank you. The bike is a 1982 so likely it is around that time frame model.

What I am almost sure now is that the sidecar is a post CA sidecar take over.  CA  made the Companion a basic copy of the Eagle.

Yes it was a lighter car in 1990 they updated it for heavier bikes and dropped it in 1994

OK  it is all figured out . Than you all.

Would put money on it. It is a 1975 to 1980's Model California Sidecar from the Sidecar of America buy out. It is the model CA sidecar came up with based on SOA Eagle. Called a Companion.
We can date it to post 1975 by the molded fender.. A throw back to the Eagle.
The sidecar sold for $1,500 in 1980 new. It would have been a bit light for a bike that size. In 1990 they updated the sidecar for larger Harley's In 1994 production ended.
This what the final version of the sidecar looked like. 1994 GT Companion.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Early California Companion. My wife had one for a while back in the 1980's.

A couple things that I can tell in the photo. If the wheel is a cast wheel, these were know to fail. These also ran a lower mount system that used a clamp that clamped to a 5/8 balls. These are also known to fail. Then off course there are the issues with the torsion bars.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30