Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

California Licencing

I am planning to let my misses to takeover my Kawasaki outfit. She currently has no drivers license. She does not plan to learn to drive a car in the future. Is it possible for her to take her driving license test using the outfit? Notice that in California driving a three wheeler only requires a class C (car) license.

Check with the DMV.
The standard auto drivers licensing tests will probably apply.

L.

Why not have your spouse take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Training? Pass that and DMV test is then just the written version, no vehicle involved. I am not a lawyer, but a motorcycle endorsement should cover riding a m/c which just happens to have a sidecar. The statute does not preclude having the m/c license. Some states require sidecar training. CA does not, but training is a good idea whether it be in a car or on a bike.

I know Doug Bingham worked real hard to get the sidecars exempt from the m/c endorsement, as it allows for more people to enjoy the sidecar experience.

Let us know what DMV says.
g

gpers2 - 8/5/2010 9:54 PM Why not have your spouse take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Training? Pass that and DMV test is then just the written version, no vehicle involved. I am not a lawyer, but a motorcycle endorsement should cover riding a m/c which just happens to have a sidecar. The statute does not preclude having the m/c license. Some states require sidecar training. CA does not, but training is a good idea whether it be in a car or on a bike. I know Doug Bingham worked real hard to get the sidecars exempt from the m/c endorsement, as it allows for more people to enjoy the sidecar experience. Let us know what DMV says. g

This is good advice. I used to teach the RSS and ERC classes for CMSP. They don't cover anything about riding sidecar rigs, but motorcycle skills are addressed from an accident avoidance perspective.