Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

California FS III from 84 Goldwing to 06 Electra Glide

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and very freshly new to the sidecar scene. I just picked up an early-mid 80's California Friendship III sidecar mounted on a 1984 Goldwing GL1200. The car needs some cosmetic work, but is complete and all there. I say early-mid 80's because it has the small Peugot style tail light. My question to those in the know is whether the mounts off the GL1200 will be close to what is needed to mount it on a 2006 Electra Glide Classic? I am quite capable with fabrication and any mechanical challenges, but if the mounts are completely different, what is the best course of action here? Thanks for any help or advice that anyone can offer.

Attached files

The Harley will need a mount set (sub-frame) to install this car. The sidecar heim joint lower mounts and the struts will work with the Harley sub-frame mounts. DMC can furnish a mount set.

Lonnie

Lonnie,

Isn't there a problem with the frame when going from a Honda to a Harley? My frame was too small and needed the extension added. Won't his be too big?

On the ones I've worked with the extension just adds another mounting position. The other is still there. The extension being just an added 12" loop on the front of the frame.
Some may be different but I haven't seen one.

Lonnie

So, the car is now separated from the Goldwing. I got it all apart at the shop today. Gave everything a good thorough cleaning before taking it apart. I got all of the mounts off the GW frame. They seem to be very simple mounts. Will they not work? The EG has a tubular frame just the same. I will take some pictures and measurements of the mounting setup, and perhaps some of you can chime in. There were two lower heim-joints on sliding mounts. Two upper mounts connected to the adjustable threaded chrome struts. And one more mount from the back of the lower rear slider to the rear luggage bar. I think this last one was an add on, but I could be wrong. The rig also had a really hokey looking Alternator setup on the front lower mount. It was driven by the right side timing gear. It can be seen in the first picture if you look closely. I would love to see the mounts or subframe that stay attached to the Harley.

A couple of questions I have is whether its possible to run the FSIII on two lower heim-joint mounts, and one rear strut only. Or is there any way to mount the front strut without having to remove the right lower fairing? Thanks again for your inputs and help. I will try to get in touch with DMC to see their offerings in the way of mounts.

Lastly, does the car have to be mounted so far away from the bike? (as seen in the first pic)

Here are pix of a CSC mounting setup on a 2003 Ultra using CSC mounts. I relieved the right lower fairing for strut clearance so it could be retained.

Never attach a sidecar mount to a decorative bag guard or Engine case guards (Crash bars) these are only for minimal protection in case the bike tips over. They are not structurally sound.

You will need to use all four mount positions with the FSIII. This is a heavy, wide car.

Lonnie

Attached files

Thanks for the pics Hack'n. Those look exactly like the mounts I have off the GW. Are both of your struts curved? Or just the rear one? On my setup. I have one curved strut on the front of the car, and a straight one on the rear. I think tomorrow, I'll get the slider brackets apart, and sandblasted. Then a fresh coat of paint. On the mount at the front frame section, do you recommend using a piece of rubber or any kind of protection between the mount and frame? Or do they mount directly to the frame? Thanks once again.

The upper rear mount is the tough one yo access on the ElectraGlides. Don't wrap the frame tube with anything. It will make the clamps slip and rotate.
Some CSC struts are curved to clear brake pedals or other acessories.

Lonnie

I have the sub frame mount kit on order from DMC. Jay is a great guy to chat with. I should see the whole set up in about a week and a half. Can't wait! Thanks Lonnie for the suggestion of calling DMC.

Finally got to start working on mounting the FS III frame to the bike. I have a question in regard to the two lower clamps. I can only mount them in a way that one clamp faces forward and the other faces backward. Is this fine, or do they both have to face forward? I'm not sure how else to get around that. The two subframe mounts are too far apart, and the FS III frame is too short to make it work any other way. Some input would be appreciated. Here is an illustration of what I have. From what I gather, the figure on the left is the way it should mount. What I have to do on mine is on the figure to the right. Is this acceptable or will it create handling and driveability issues? Thanks

....... BIKE ==>................................... BIKE ==>
____________ ....................... _____________
.. // .........// ........................................ //
..!! ......... !! .................................!!.........!!
=========............................=========
..Sidecar.........................................Sidecar

Hopefully this can be deciphered. The ... are just to fill space.

Actually the configuration on the right will give the best triangulation. Having the mounts in opposition will hold the alignment better. The same applies to the upper struts but many times they will have to be placed angled forward on the bike.

Lonnie

You are mounting a long frame California sidecar to a bike that normaly uses a short frame sidecar. No problem to do this other then the front lower bosses and clamps face backwards from what we are use to seeing. No reason at all not to run it this way. Any angle on these to make the attachment as needed will be fine.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thank you very much for the input folks. Much appreciated. I figured the triangulation would be stronger, but I've been seeing most diagrams and pictures with both lowers traditionally facing forward, so I thought I'd double check with your guys.

Jay, the upper frame mount that you supplied fits the bike, however it will make access to the fuse panel behind the side cover virtually impossible. The only way to get the side cover off would be to remove the mount which in turn holds the lower subframe. It seems as the upright on the bracket should be about an inch and a half farther away from the side cover to allow it to be slipped out from behind. Let me know your thoughts on that, thanks.

The side panel does come off with the mount in place. It is however a tight fit. If we move it out an inch then the triangulation on the upper strut is just that much less strong. If you want it out a bit more you can shim the bottom out with washers.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I may have to try that as there is no way to get that cover out. even if I wanted to peel all the paint off of it. I think it's actually the top that is in too tight to the body and not allowing for the panel to come unclipped from it's press in mounts.

Does anyone know of a shop in the Ontario region or upstate NY, or MI that is good at setting up sidecars? I'm trying to get this beast ligned, but am having a hard time with the setup. Perhaps someone has a factory CSC installation manual they would like to share with me??? If there's a shop nearby, I would be just as happy to have them set it up and align it. At the moment, I have the bike leaning way too far to the left. The hack wheel looks way toed out, and the frame is way down close to the bike... Again, any help is appreciated...

Remi

Remi, I am 'bout convinced that aligning sidecar rigs may be more art than math & science. Best of luck with your set-up.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I wonder if the rubber mallet called for in the old instruction manual is for safety... So you don't beat someone or yourself with a real hammer while trying to align a sidecar... LOL. I think I may just load everything up on my trailer and tow it to someone that's done this once or twice. If someone knows of anyone in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area that may be familiar with sidecars, I would love to speak with them. Thank you.

Finally got some time to marry the sidecar to the bike. I think I've got it set up pretty well for the time being. I do get a handlebar shimmy when traveling at slower speeds, but then it smoothes out. I still don't have the brake attached to the sidecar, but the bike stops quite well without it. It will be hooked up at the same time I convert my rear brakes to the 08-up Brembo setup. I have to wire up all the lights next, and then I can do a proper road test to see how the alignment panned out. Any pointers as to what to watch for? Thanks.

A couple of pics of the rig

Attached files