Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

But what if the dog doesn't like it ???

Hi there!

I am a keen motorcyclist in the city of San Jose, California. There is some pretty good riding to be had, but for me, one problem. It's getting harder to leave my little dog at home. He is 14 and a half years, kinda old for a dog.

So I considered getting a sidecar a couple of years back, even going so far as to speak to a most excellent fellow in Santa Clara who sold Urals. I backed off then because I'm not rich enough for a new Ural :/

Last year I picked up a Triumph Thruxton. It's not one of the more common motorcycles to stick a sidecar on, but it's close enough to the Bonnie that I think it would work, and so does Jack at Velorex. A new one feels a little ostentatious: I'm aware that there is an advert on this site right now for a used one in Santa Clara, but I figure I can probably fix it on mostly by myself, but buying something old enough to be inexpensive probably needs a real expert. Besides, if I wait for a decent used one, I will probably never ever get round to it. 

I'm not overly worried about riding the thing. There are so many empty parking lots in San Jose right now. But I find myself most apprehensive when it comes to writing the check and mailing it. What am I letting myself in for, and what if neither myself or el doggo like it??

I guess I am looking to connect with anyone who rides sidecars either with or without a dog.  I don't know anyone who has ever driven or ridden a sidecar before. What can I expect?

Is a Thruxton with a Velorex a good idea or a bad idea for a first sidecar?

Much appreciated,

Becky, San Jose CA

Welcome, Velorex gets a bad rap from many. While it is not the high end sidecar done right they work for many. I have one with many miles on it and has been on two different bikes.

The big issues is proper mounting. You are on the right side of the country to check with DMC.  Be warned there is nothing cheap about any sidecar that is going to be safe and work right.

I have never met a dog yet that did not like a sidecar. I have had strangers dogs jump right in. I am ok with that. Some Dogs may require a bit of getting use to. My granddaughters little dog was one. I put her in and just let her sit. Then slow down the driveway and back. Stopped reached over comforted her . Did it again. Next thing you know she was ready to fly. The Dog rides every chance she gets. Often if we leave the canopy off we find her sitting in it waiting to go.

Sidecars are a different world. They are not right for everyone.  I have and will always make one of ours available for others to get a better idea what they are getting into.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Becky Willis has reacted to this post.
Becky Willis

Best bang for the buck new would be the Sputnik we offer for $3895 this includes proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware Sputnik Sidecars (dmcsidecars.com) We have very few left. If you go with a Velorex and find the "universal mounts" lacking we do offer proper bike specific NOT universal mounts for your bike $895 however we do recommend some up grades to the sidecar its self which involve welding and an additional $415 in parts as out lined at this link Sidecar Mounting | DMC Sidecars A ural sidecar might be a good option however in addition to the mounts ($895) you must make up grades to the sidecars lower mounts to use our mounting system. The parts for this run $490. I have attached drawings. Some sidecars can be quite difficult to get in and out of. The Velorex being among the worst. Some thing to think about as your dog is not young any longer and at some point you may need to lift him in or out of the sidecar. The Ural is the easiest to get in and out of, the Sputnik is not far behind. There  is also another sidecar around called a Dnepr, many people think theses are Ural's they are not, to tell the difference a Dnepr the trunk does not open from the out side. Their wheels tend to be some what less then round as such often need truing however a Dnepr might be good alternative for you. Price for mounts are the same as the Ural with the same changes needed. There are many sidecars for around $2K new, read the thread about saferwhole sale. Cozy is also another sidecar you could consider, a real cozy from cyclesidecars.com is one you should consider. I would not even consider buying one for another source. Another thing to consider, I am a fan of brakes, many will tell you that you do not need a brake, they could be right however if even once a brake would keep you out of the emergency room I feel it is money well spent. The Velorex comes with a drum brake, while possible  to make work with a disk brake bike it usually is not going to be worth the effort to do so. Some of the newest Ural sidecars may have a disk brake that you can make work. On the Sputnik we offer a brake for $650. Cozy does not have a brake, many Ural's and Dnepr's but not all have drum brakes, same problem hooking them up as the Velorex and often the brake drums are also some what less then round. When ever you add a sidecar to any motorcycle you end up with heavy steering. If your Thruxton is an air cooled bike and has the wire wheels the triple tree's we offer $1100 will work if you use T-100 handle bar risers.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Uploaded files:
smitty901 and Becky Willis have reacted to this post.
smitty901Becky Willis
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hi Becky, 

I've found that if a dog likes to ride and has the strong desire to be with you, it's likely they'll take right to the sidecar. I'm riding with my third sidecar dog now. Long story that I won't go into now but when my wife wanted to quit riding with me, I thought she might like a sidecar but I didn't expect to. I bought a used Ural. Her mind was made up but my Boxer, Archie loved the sidecar and I found it was a thrill to ride. After a few years, I sold the Ural and my Kwik Kamp trailer and had Liberty installed. As well as changed the triple tree for easy steering. If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest watching the video "Sit, Stay, Ride, the story of America's sidecar dogs." 

Jay has a good perspective above. If I were to mount a sidecar to a solo bike now, I'd sure go with the Sputnik. I saw one mounted to a full dress Harley at a gathering a couple years ago. Painted to match the bike, it really looked sharp and it's affordable.

Good luck to you and your K9 buddy!!

Becky Willis has reacted to this post.
Becky Willis

What ho chaps,

The input is much appreciated 🙂 

I do like the look of the DMC sidecars, they are pretty darn cool. Maybe not so keen on the sputniks, and as I am hearing that a well cared for Velorex can, in some cases, out-last as many as TWO bikes, I went for that. That and the Velorex USA guys were really really helpful. I reasoned that this can be a summer project, if by September/October I hate it then just sell the Velorex and get my nimble af Thruxton back. If I love it, then maybe consider getting a bonneville and a DMC combo. Currently I am not sure how long el doggo will last either, but no need to make any solid plans dog-wise.

It's a slightly strange feeling that in about 10 days or so a crate containing a sidecar will appear at my house. I do appreciate the advice to get the lean & toe-in set well, and have a sensible mechanic who will give the setup the once over and connect the brake up for me. 

Now just wait, and maybe join the USCA.

PS that film about doggs in sidecars is adorable.

Uploaded files:
Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

I wish my friend in Boise were still with us but sadly cancer got the best of him. Lonnie Cook was well versed in Velorex ins and outs. I have a rig he put together here in my garage that I bought from him when he was in the process of lightening his load. An '03 FXWDWG with a Spalding sidecar. My good old '96 FLH has the Liberty and also sports an S&S 111 cu in power plant now. Both are fun rides. Petey doesn't care which one we go on as long as we go. 

One big advantage of joining the USCA is receiving the magazine the Sidecarist. Very much worth the price of admission!!

SwampFox, CCjon and Becky Willis have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCCjonBecky Willis

It took a second viewing of the Sit Stay Ride movie at the weekend with el doggo to realize that the dog riding around Reardon kind of looks like the dog in Reardon Tom's profile picture. Coincidence, I'm sure. 

I joined. It looks like a most excellent club to join, so it does.

Ha ha!! In camp one time a lady saw Petey and I walking up the campground road and said, "There's Kirby!" I said, "That's Petey." She insisted she knew it was Kirby (also in SSR). We were just passing Dave and Billie's site and Billie said, "That's Petey." The lady hurried off. Petey was a lot younger when SSR was made. I guess I should mention that Ned and Kirby were our campground neighbors at the time. It was the Bigfoot Sidecar Rendezvous happening in 2013 at Toad Rock.

Good luck to ya Becky, and to your K9 sidekick.

Well. I can say that cats do love to sleep on the Torneau, but normally will not ride in the sidecar. As soon it moves all used to jump off.

While riding for the dogs used to be so much fun with new smells and wind around the nose, that they used to become jealous and jump into the driving rig. Only these last 2 shepherds are a bit sceptical (Ural is very narrow for 2 of them together) , while the Boston Terrier will sneek if her master (my daughter) doesn't look.... and shwupp goes with me.

Definitely small dogs have it easier to handle their weight in curves then heavy ones. But  our blind Golden Luke would not mind about some bruises .... he wanted to smell the neighbourhood. Until few days before he passed by. In any way a sturdy well thought harness is a must!

Once hooked by the virus the dogs will demand their share of wind in the face. Just like us.

Sven

You can bet on it.

Uploaded files: