Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Business Plan-Input needed

PreviousPage 2 of 2

OMG. I walked away from my computer at least three times shaking my head, telling myself butt out Linda, but I just can't sit back. I am sure your efforts are truly appreciated, BUT.... Have you any idea how that last paragraph sounds to the readers of this site, members or potential members.
IT SPEAKS VOLUMES, UNBELIEVABLE

[Quote: Some members of the board are close friends and only have the yearly national to socialize with each other and are not there in a working or volunteer capacity. EndQuote]

Originally written by tkpinsc on 8/7/2007 5:28 PM

In the last 18 months you have posted 76 times, visited the website 2 to 3 times a day, got good information so you could make informed decisions and attended a national rally where you had a fun time and met some real nice folks, both members and non-members. Sounds like enough tire kicking to decide if a membership is worth $30 a year.

I was not present so I do not know the situation with your request for information, what information you needed or who you asked for it.

I do know that as this year's volunteer rally chair I worked 4 straight 16hr days so both members and non-members could enjoy themselves equally, and I suspect 2006 was no different for the rally staff then. I know several folks were discouraged I did not have the personal time to spend with them that they and I would have liked, but time simply did not exist to do so.

Some members of the board are close friends and only have the yearly national to socialize with each other and are not there in a working or volunteer capacity.

Gosh Linda, I thought for sure you were going to ask where to find the x-rated links. Actually Back when, two or three folks went to the user list and started clicking links there. When you sign up you have the option to add a link to your web site and sure enough there were a bunch of things there that didn't belong. I am happy to report that I have gone through all 3400+ users and every morning I log on and dump out the new ones. BUT if I have missed any, just let me know the user name and it'll be gone. These folks usually don't use a valid email address so they never actually log on to the site.

Joyce, I don't find your comment humorous, but only trying to divert attention from my post doesn't change anything. You have totally missed my point, I made no reference to x-rated links, nor would I. Go back and re-read please.

Originally written by Joyce on 8/7/2007 6:34 PM

Gosh Linda, I thought for sure you were going to ask where to find the x-rated links. Actually Back when, two or three folks went to the user list and started clicking links there. When you sign up you have the option to add a link to your web site and sure enough there were a bunch of things there that didn't belong. I am happy to report that I have gone through all 3400+ users and every morning I log on and dump out the new ones. BUT if I have missed any, just let me know the user name and it'll be gone. These folks usually don't use a valid email address so they never actually log on to the site.

I know exactly how it sounds, and I stand by it.

The board is run by volunteers, who pay their memberships like all other members. If they have chosen to go to the national, and board members pay admission, just like any other member at the rally, they have the option of volunteering to work the rally, just as all the other members present have the option of volunteering, or not. Why should they not be able to spend some personal time with friends they see once a year? I don't know all the board members individually, but I do know many. The ones I know would not ignore a question or opportunity to promote the USCA unless involved in a private conversation during non volunteer time. The person complaining about the lack of attention from the board member and state rep has stated they benefited from the web-site, attended the rally, met many folks and had a good time, has not seen fit to join and pay dues to help the club exist, but complains about a lack of personal attention from a board member while the board member was spending personal time with a friend. I wasn't there so will never know the details, but board members and state reps are unpaid volunteers, who make the web-site, rallies and Sidecarist happen. They are not 24/7 servants to the club, even when at a club function.

------------

This thread is about how the club should plan to evolve in the future to best serve the members and the sport of sidecaring.

The very nature of the USCA is it will probably always provide the most value to non-members. It is often the first non brand biased source of information about the sport folks find. Hack'd and scttalk are the other two that come to mind. It is unlikey someone picking up their first copy of the Sidecarist at a motorcycle event, stumbling upon the website, or attending their first sidecar rally will be a member. It would be hard to change this fact of life without becoming a closed society, which is counter to the purpose of the USCA. This is a similar to most special interest organizations.

Some folks have joined the club and volunteered to serve in various ways to payback the folks who came before us and will come after us who provided in the past and will provide in the future the volunteer efforts required to provide the information to newcomers through the web, host the functions where we gather, and write the articles in the Sidecarist. This is the essence of a service club. Others join to have a say in how things are done so they can help move the club towards becoming the organization they would like it to be. Some just think the Sidecarist is neat and a good value for $25. Still others realize the $25 helps keep the website running, pays the postage for the Sidecarist and insurance for the national and several regional rallies.

I benefited most from the USCA before I was a member, while I was searching for information to purchase, assemble and operate my first rig. Now as an experienced sidecarist I feel a responsibility to pay back the sport and the USCA by helping the next new guy looking for information, and helping with the national rallies, so others can relax as I have at the many functions where I sat back and had fun while learning more about the sport.

Many of the suggestions are quite good and I'm sure we (the board) will try to implement as many as possible.

Others who are asking what is in it for them, and what do they get for their $25 don't and probably will never understand the true value of belonging to a club such as the USCA and the personal gratification that can be had by paying back others for the good they have received and will continue to receive from the organization they are part of. Those that complain about the lack of activities in their area are always welcome to volunteer to change that by sponsoring an event of their own. That happened at least twice just last year with the new Florida rally and the Nortwest rally. Others who lament the lack of volunteers at any given event are always welcome to volunteer as well.

tkpnic, I took this off-line and sent you a mail note. Linda

PROMOTE SIDECARING AND HAVE FUN.

This is obviously an older thread, but nevertheless a fascinating read , isn't it :-)? I am not a member of USCA, but then i just found this site about a week ago and have just recently decided to look at getting a chair. I will give you some insight in what I picked up on:

Registered users vs. guests: If i just want to read I do not per se have to sign in. I.e. how many of the guests are really registered users who just haven't bothered to sign in? I suppose you have to be signed in to post? Could the site recognize the users IP address and do an auto log in of sorts?

Colored print? Why print at all? Everyone on here obviously has a computer, send the newsletter online and save printing expense while gaining an easy reference source by archiving info.

Gain membership. An annual national or regional rally if fine, but it is for sidecarrists only (?) I belong to Venturerider.org, people organize 'meet and eats' all the time. It is not just for Venture riders, it is for all motorcycle riders, non members included, and yes, including sidecarrists. You have to be out there, to be visible to non sidecarrists. To me that would mean attending bike nights, poker runs, join other bike club events organize your own events (even if it is only three people) so that you can expose your passion and talk about it. It will gin interest and as a result membership.

Mission statement. Haven't found it yet, but like i said, I haven't been on here too long.

On the subject of volunteerism: If you volunteer to organize a rally, that is your job, before and during the rally, which means you should be available and recognizable to all comers. Your friends are there? Great, but you agreed to organize and run this thing, now do your job! Period.

There's always somebody ..... It is all too easy to bitch and complain. If you do not know why you are a member (even if it is some misguided notion that you "want to belong" or "I felt I should"), by all means: Leave! If you don't like something, suggest how to make it better! If you can't do that, shut up!

I am still trying to find my way around here, for now I'll chalk it up to being new here. But, ... for now I am wondering if things could be more user friendly. I'll let you know.

I'm betting you have found only the forum at this point. Click on the logo on the upper left of the screen or just go to http://www.sidecar.com. Lot's more there.

Originally written by Barend on 5/24/2009 7:11 AM

This is obviously an older thread, but nevertheless a fascinating read , isn't it :-)? I am not a member of USCA, but then i just found this site about a week ago and have just recently decided to look at getting a chair. I will give you some insight in what I picked up on:

Registered users vs. guests: If i just want to read I do not per se have to sign in. I.e. how many of the guests are really registered users who just haven't bothered to sign in? I suppose you have to be signed in to post? Could the site recognize the users IP address and do an auto log in of sorts?

Colored print? Why print at all? Everyone on here obviously has a computer, send the newsletter online and save printing expense while gaining an easy reference source by archiving info.

Gain membership. An annual national or regional rally if fine, but it is for sidecarrists only (?) I belong to Venturerider.org, people organize 'meet and eats' all the time. It is not just for Venture riders, it is for all motorcycle riders, non members included, and yes, including sidecarrists. You have to be out there, to be visible to non sidecarrists. To me that would mean attending bike nights, poker runs, join other bike club events organize your own events (even if it is only three people) so that you can expose your passion and talk about it. It will gin interest and as a result membership.

Mission statement. Haven't found it yet, but like i said, I haven't been on here too long.

On the subject of volunteerism: If you volunteer to organize a rally, that is your job, before and during the rally, which means you should be available and recognizable to all comers. Your friends are there? Great, but you agreed to organize and run this thing, now do your job! Period.

There's always somebody ..... It is all too easy to bitch and complain. If you do not know why you are a member (even if it is some misguided notion that you "want to belong" or "I felt I should"), by all means: Leave! If you don't like something, suggest how to make it better! If you can't do that, shut up!

I am still trying to find my way around here, for now I'll chalk it up to being new here. But, ... for now I am wondering if things could be more user friendly. I'll let you know.

Not all members of USCA are computer users. Some who are, either don't have internet access or are on slow dial-up or sat feeds and still prefer as printed copy.

As far as a members only area, another club I belong to has a great approach to this. They have a password protected area with a single logon and password. On the day he sends the newsletter to the printer it gets uploaded to the website. At that time the newsletter editor sends out an email to all paid members with this month's password. Next month, a new password. A couple times a year, they give the password out on the website as a teaser, so nonmembers can see what they are missing.

Probably the easiest way I've heard of to manage the site. :0)

Some interesting thoughts, but I for one would always want a hard copy of the magazine. It is so hard to read the same article out in the back yard, under the tree or to make notes in the margins for future reference. The password protected access to the magazine is an interesting thought for quicker access, until the magazine arrives.

Originally written by Loon on 5/24/2009 11:00 AM

Some interesting thoughts, but I for one would always want a hard copy of the magazine. It is so hard to read the same article out in the back yard, under the tree or to make notes in the margins for future reference. The password protected access to the magazine is an interesting thought for quicker access, until the magazine arrives.

That club gives a $15 a year discount to people who sign up for online only. It makes it much more affordable for some folks and makes for less clutter at my desk.

Interesting! Something to think about!

PreviousPage 2 of 2