Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Building a sidecar

I am new to this forum. I have been riding bikes since 1964, 1st bike a BSA 650 Lightning, and currenly have my 22nd bike a Suzuki S50, an improvement (?) of the old 800 cc Intruder. I am retired now but have had many occupations, a machinist 17 years, a sheet metal worker 5 years, and a manufacturing manager the rest of the time. Saying all this to say I have extensive metal working and fabrication experience.

I have looked at numerous sidecars and am sure I can build one making everything from the suspension to the body.

I wonder if there is a site that has specific plans. I think I could do OK with my own design but the more information the better.

I would use 11 or 12 gage 1 1/2" or 2" square tubing for the frame, less fitting than round tubing. I would use sheet aluminum from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co or a similar supplier for the body. I would try to keep the weight between 150 and 200 pounds.

What kind of a reduction in milage could I expect. Currently I get 45 to 50 mpg with the Suzuki S50.

Any other words of wisdom or caution???

1 1/2"x1 1/2"x.120" wall A36 square stock is plenty stout. If you use thicker wall tubing you won't have to ballast as much if any and the extra weight is carried low which is desirable. You are looking for a loaded ratio of 1/3rd sidecar to 2/3rds motorcycle for a well balanced rig.
35 to 38 MPG could be expected with the hack installed unless you are heavy on the throttle, then wind resistance will enter the equasion lessening your expected mileage.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

I expected really good mileage, but my 78 BMW R100Rt/Velorex 700 gets only 26 mpg...short trips to town, no long trips. About 4K miles last year, 5 to 6 miles at a time...26mpg or less if I rawhide it. I think it
is supposed to do 32-34mpg w/o car. I never buy top grade gas. Jon

I stuck an old CF1 car to my suzuki marauder (M50) and the milage that sucked before the car,..still sucked after with little change...I believe 28-30 mpg is the best I can pull on a down grade with good tail wind...lol... cheers crawf( millwright)

Here's a guy that made his own car

http://crowshaven.com/pachu.htm

Good heavens!- that is some kind of attention to detail! YOW!

BMW's get lousy mileage, but I feel a little better now.
I run 89 octane in an R100 engine and get about 30mpg.

AS far as a frame goes- make it adjustable. Don't just weld it to the bike. (You may know that already- but just in case...)