Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Brought the 96 Wing/Champion 2+2 Home

Yesterday. We are very excited to be new (to us) sidecar owners. It has 37K miles and brand spankin' new (3) tires. It's in very good condition for the year. There are a few nicks, but all in all I m extremely satisfied.

A nice thing did happen whilst we were checking out the location for the switch for the aux gas tank. The PO stated that it did not have electric lean, so I negotiated the price thinking of having to add it later. *grins* We found the switch, and the electric lean function works flawlessly! So I left for home an extremely happy hacker!

The aux gas tank is cool. It fills the main tank with a pump. I watched work tonight. Smile

There is a switch for opening the 'cars door, there is a switch for the door in the car itself, and a manual switch in the trunk for the door.

Oddly, he even thru in a high pressure washer in the deal! Surprised

Anyway, all the farkles are functional, including cruise,cb,radio,reverse, air ride adjustment,etc. Now to wait for this monsoon to stop so I can go empty parking lot hunting!

Attached files

Nice Rig! Welcome to the World of Sidecaring.

Great job, nice looking rig. Parking lot great idea not a lot there in Sutherlin, but I'm sure you will make it work. Don't have many in Bandon, Ore. either. Neat experience hope you enjoy it

She's a beauty! Congratulations. Did it fit in the trailer?

Nice Rig! That things bigger than yer Smart Car 😉

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Very nice good looking rig and a beautiful color!

Thanks for the positive comments! I ve been buzzing slowly around town for the last few days, still awaiting a nice clear day for the parking lot for us both.

Mike: It did fit, but not by much. I laid a 2X4 between the right tire and the wheel well of the trailer in an upright position to prevent the tire/rim from contact. We are seriously considering riding it to MI (1900 one way miles) this summer instead of "toyhaulering" it. (Considering the cost of diesel fuel vs fuel cost of the sidecar)

wvsporty: These pics are from the CL advertisement. It "was" the PO's SmartCar. He does NOT recommend them to anyone!

Please do not put anything that pretty in a trailer! If you see mine on a trailer please call the police as it is stolen. LOL Mine is just about my only transportation so I ride it rain or shine just about every day. I really like the color mine is red well the bike is but I think I like the color of yours better. My hack is gray and my lower fairing is black. Hope one day I can paint to match but in my situation I just hope she keeps running.

My grandchildren lover riding in it and do not care about the color neither do I as we have so much fun just the way it is.

All so at 37K it is hardly broke in good. LOL

I think they callem Smart cars cause they are smarter than the owners 😉

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

If you have any specific questions let me know. I owned a GL11500 with a Daytona on it for many years.
The Daytona was the first new sidecar I ever purchased. Put about 50K on it, decieded I needed to sell it when another GL1500 pulled into an event right behind me, same color, same sidecar so I sold the rig and built some thing a bit less common.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

jaydmc - 3/19/2013 8:23 AM If you have any specific questions let me know. I owned a GL11500 with a Daytona on it for many years. The Daytona was the first new sidecar I ever purchased. Put about 50K on it, decieded I needed to sell it when another GL1500 pulled into an event right behind me, same color, same sidecar so I sold the rig and built some thing a bit less common. Jay G DMC sidecars http://www.dmcsidecars.com 866-638-1793

Thanks,Jay. We purchased the"Driving A Sidecar Outfit" book from you and are looking forward to enjoying it this summer! One thing I noticed that is a slight PITA: The door is a bit hard to latch. I screwed the bumpers on either side down as far as they would go, but it still does not want to latch very easily. I have to push fairly hard on the door to get that satisfying "CLICK" that lets me know it is latch properly.

The attachment picture is of the 3 control switches in the right compartment: Toggle is for the electric lean, top button is for the sidecar door latch, and bottom is for the aux. fuel tank. Does this look like one of your installs?

Attached files

Champions design for the latch could stand some improvments. If it is not this tight, fiberglass whill chafe
We did not install this sidecar.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

very very nice looking ride .i think you will have a lot of fun riding it.

Sharp!

Congratulations!!! What a beauty!

Thanks y'all for the comments! Looking forward to this summer FER-SHER!

Jay, would it be feasible to put those three switches outside of the compartment so as to use them without having to remove the compartment cover?

They can be moved. We often mount the switch for the latch removale next to one of your speakers in the front as there is a good spot for it. The other switches can be mounted on an aftermarket switch panel that goes over your clutch resivior. If you go with one of these, the switches that they uses are very poor qulaity so use a relay with them. Seitches can also be added to the removable panel that goes around your ignition switch. Rockers cut into the side of this panel are very clean looking.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Congrats! I just posted my rig on your "wanted" thread.....day late....:) but that's a nice one! As everyone said....ride it...and I add...LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Dundertaker